Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamajean15

Decorate/paint mantle help

13 years ago

Looking at my sad fireplace can someone help bring me to LIFE!!! I realize the framed print is way to small. I stuck it there to cover the wood and outlet behind it. The picture is no longer there as we now have a flatscreen TV. Thats going too as its WAY too high and annoying. Which brings me to what to put on the mantle and or hearth below. I really am thinking of painting my mantle and distressing it white. Either painting white or distressing it with a sander to give it a more french country quality and maybe a pop of life to match all the white bright trim throughout the house. I guess I need a large piece of artwork or something sitting on the mantle. If anyone has any ideas I really appreciate it. Be honest. Thats what I like about this forum. Friends and family wont tell you the truth but those on this forum wont skirt the issue. What would you do here?

I actually considered having my hubbie tear it down as its just so dark and dingy to me. I think he was considering it just to shut me up ahahahah. Maybe you all have a few tricks up your sleeve. Changing the mantle or refacing it has also entered my mind but would be difficult now that its set. I have never loved it and am trying to work with it here. thank you.

>

Comments (18)

• 13 years ago

What a pretty fireplace. I can see thought that in order to fit better in your home it would work better with a painted wood mantel. I'm thinking more of a pained wood surround though. Something like this....

• 13 years ago

I like the photoshop pic, but my first thought was to paint it the same color as the grout. That would make the fpl and whatever you put on the mantle be the feature.

• 13 years ago

I don't think I would paint it white. White just wouldn't relate to anything on the fireplace and I think would just stick out badly, IYKWIM.

I really like the pewter look of your fireplace screen. I wonder what painting your mantel in that same color would look like.

And then art on the mantle, big and colorful.

• 13 years ago

Unless your fireplace is made of cardboard or wallpaper, I would never paint it. You can never go back. But, I agree, it doesn't seem to go with your wall color or furnishings, which I understand, from you other post, are being replaced.

I would buy a leather sectional to accomodate your large family and reduce your clean-up time, and paint your walls a warmer color. Everything you have right now is fighting that fireplace; it's no wonder you hate it. Well, that and the awkward placement, but you can't change that.

If you were inclined, you could replace the mantel piece with something a little larger and more traditionally finished. The one you have looks like it's just a piece of wood, but it's hard to tell. Justgotabme did a great mock-up for you but the white seems too harsh to me. You could do a dark cherry stain on the same kind of surround, pulling out the color from the burgundy in your stone.

You have a very pretty house.
    Dee

• 13 years ago

I wouldn't paint the stone but I would add a mantle like Justgotabeme has done. Not sure on the color.
    I'd also loose that wall light. It's in a bad spot and it's not nearly big enough for that room.

• 13 years ago

Oh... I should clarify... I meant paint the shelf the same color as the grout. Do NOT paint the lovely stone!

You could try the color of the surround for the shelf as suggested above. My basic idea was to make the shelf blend better with the stone and not be a contrasting tone as it is now (the only orange tone on the vertical surface). If it becomes a mellower color, it will not compete with your art or the fpl itself. Your flp surround is lovely and should be the feature along with the stone itself.

• 13 years ago

Since there is an outlet there, you can easily add a picture light. That will change the look of the fireplace dramatically.

The fireplace would look less dark and dingy if the surrounding walls were a bit darker and similar in hue (not sure that is the correct color term) to the grout and stone.

You don't need to overdecorate a fireplace and mantle like this, IMO. A LARGE bold painting and a picture light would be simple and dramatic.

• 13 years ago

I would probably sacrifice that sconce for some WTs. I bet that will do wonders for the fireplace, and you can use lamps to replace the lost light. The sconce is kind of meh and doesn't seem to contribute much to the area, anyway.

I wouldn't paint the mantle white, distressed or otherwise. That's going to be a whole lot of bright among a lot of not bright. And I'm just partial to wood (exposed) mantels.

I don't think that buttery yellow (at least how it looks on my monitor) is doing much for the stone. Is new paint an option? (We tend to get kinda overboard with our suggestions here, sometimes, so let us know what our contraints are) :)

I would find a large print (about 75% - 80% of the mantle width) that complimented the colors in the room, and - importnatly - the pewtery finish of the fireplace. That's so unusual, I think you'd really want to highlight it. Maybe even a similar (zinc?) container on the hearth with your kindling sticks fanned inside.

I remember your photo from a previous post about furniture arrangement in the room. Do move that tv away from the fireplace. :)

THis isn't very good, but showing you how a little color & fabric will make a big difference. Tried to keep things light, I seem to be remember your other pictures all having fairly light colors.

• 13 years ago

I chose white because Blondie mentioned she was thinking of painting the existing mantel white to match the trim. I took the color right from the trim. Personally, I'd use a stained mantel and surround.

Here is a link that might be useful: I found this surround in both painted and stained.

• 13 years ago

I would try to tone down the fireplace like the mockup avesmor shows. You also have a big window there that is competing for attention. I think I would rather have the window as the focal point and make the fireplace just blend and decorate it simply as the mockup shows. Its kind of an odd location - a corner fireplace, but its nice with the stone. Definately wouldn't paint the stone, I think it would lose its character. I also don't think the wall color looks good with it. I think something that blends better with the tones in the fp would look less disjointed.

• 13 years ago

My bad. After re-reading OP's thread, I realize s(he) didn't mean they were going to paint the stone, but the mantel. I'm sorry if I caused confusion for others.
    Dee

• 13 years ago

Hello all and thank you for taking the time and much needed attention for my posting. I cannot tell you how appreciative I am that you all even did mock ups for me to see your perspective. I have always thought my wall sconces that flanked my sliding glass doors were not only almost useless but totally forbidding me from doing drapes (which I feel the texture would do a ton for the space let alone draw the eye and soften somewhere other than the harsh fireplace as the focal). I never considered changing the paint color. any specific colors throw them out there. I wont know tone until i select furniture I guess but am a real neutral girl. I love selections of various tans and neutrals and intermixing textures. I never dreamed of trying to pull grout color out. You are all right...the fireplace really is competing with my wall color isn't it? My husband is going to love my suggestion of repainting 3 years young walls that are 18ft high in greatroom (YIKES! :)

I have seen in the pottery barn catalog a few years ago where they have the upper part of the fireplace wainscotted in white and with a white mantel. I was wondering if he could even just cover the upper portion of stone with a paneleling type wainscot and maintain a rustic yet custom, modern pottery barn like fireplace. I cannot imagine the mess of tearing it down to reface so am avoiding that drama. I sincerely appreciate your views and advice. Im absorbing all of it. Keep it coming.

• 13 years ago

Another vote for re-painting the room to help the whole fireplace area blend into your decor .... sorry!

Then consider painting the mantel in satin black -- and add a colorful artwork or even a silver starburst mirror.

Then add those wonderful curtains as pictured in the GREAT virtual above! :)

Then add LOTS of silver and black items around the room -- maybe lamps etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- steel wool color for walls

• 13 years ago

This is exactly what mine looks like and I found this blog & I love what she did. I'm planning on redo-ing mine soon, so I can post a picture when we're done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneathmyheart fireplace makeover

• 13 years ago

stilldecorating,
    That is PERFECT and EXACTLY what I was thinking and trying to illustrate in my mind. I would die for mine to look like that. I sit there and visualize it. Are you certain she didnt do something to the stone. It looks so much cleaner and fresh other than the mantle. I look at mine and consider secretly dry brushing it with some sort of lighter paint on certain stones to brighten it. Yes, I realize this would not work and i would screw up my fireplace. My husband would KILL me for touching it. Maybe while hes sleeping I could do it ahahha. Thanks. Please please please post pics of yours when its done. I wish you could email me personally. Im afraid of missing the post in a few months. thanks

• 13 years ago

blondie- You're welcome! I will save your name and when I post I'll put your name in the title. Maybe this will light a fire under me- LOL We have the trim pieces purchased & hubby is just waiting for me to paint the mantel & pieces. I think this just might motivate me! I'll make sure I take before and after pictures for you.

• 13 years ago

Hi Blondie - I also love the redo posted by stilldecorating. So simple, but what impact! I think that the improved lighting really brings out the beauty in the stone (much less dingey!). Also - and I'm sorry if someone already mentioned this - but I think that the height of your mantle makes placing a picture there difficult. I think it's just too far above eye level. I would consider some other decorative piece (wreath, mirror, large pottery, etc.). I know it's going to look great!

Lucy

• 13 years ago

Thanks Lucy,
    Just a question about the lighting. My husband may work on the fireplace this weekend. He mentioned he cannot do can lighting in ceiling but could put puck lights by imbedding them in the mantle shooting upward. I told him I dont know if that will look right. I seem to always see accent lighting shooting down on the fireplace from the ceiling like you described. We have an outlet placed in behind where a tv or picture would go as we thought we would live with our plasma tv there but its too high and annoying. No big deal as something where go there anyway. I still think I may use artwork to bring in some color to the fireplace. Even though its high I dont really feel it needs to be eye level. I have a huge gorgeous black framed with white matting and glass covered picture that I plan to replace the print with and use a family photo when I get one done. Dont know if this would be too bold a statment there or not. I really am going to have him frame out this mantel this weekend I think. I just have never loved it and never will. Let me know what you all think regarding the accent lighting reflecting up from the mantel please.