Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

do they make?

14 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm piecing a quilt top together and it was so tedious to cut the squares last night! I loathe measuring and cutting part... I just want to sew! I have a rotary cutter (with self healing mat), and the Fiskars rotary cutter that is attached to an acrylic ruler for cutting a straight line.

My question is, do they make some sort of electrical device one can just feed fabric into and it will cut it? If so, I'd love to know all about it!

Comments (7)

• 14 years ago

There is indeed something new on the market that cuts strips. I just saw it in the Joann's flyer just today. Also found in Keepsake Quilting catalog... here's their link

Here is a link that might be useful: rotary cutting machine

• 14 years ago

I've seen that strip cutter demo'd at a quilt show and was able to try it there. Honestly, I don't think its any faster than using a ruler and rotary cutter. Probably great if you just need to make dozens of strips all the same width.

If you are using a ruler and doing lots of strips the same width, try this method to help you with the measuring. Use a piece of painters tape or masking tape and mark the correct width on your ruler. Then you can just line up the fabric to that mark each time instead of counting the inches over and over.

• 14 years ago

What block pattern are you making? Lots of patterns can be made by strip piecing and cutting later.

If you really love to vacuum, you can come by my house. You can even watch me sew while you vacuum. @:)

SharonG/CentFL

• 14 years ago

Thanks for responding and telling me about that cutter. I think I am going to buy that... Especially after I get my dream sewing machine in a couple weeks (Brother PC 420). I'm only going to want to sew and not fool around with cutting. Though I think if I am to be a real sewer, I should enjoy the entire process!
    I am just sewing 3 and 1/2 inch squares together in strips and then I will sew all the strips together when I'm done. They are all different patterns and shades of green... I'm not following any pattern, just having fun playing around. I don't care about the speed of the electric rotary cutter... I just want something easier that would simplify the process. I want to be lazy!

That's not too bad a price if it really saves me the trouble. I'd like to read reviews first though. I wonder if Joann's has a return policy in case I don't like it? I've never gotten anything more than notions and fabric from them!

Sharon... I actually collect vacuum cleaners as a hobby... I have about 40!

• 14 years ago

I returned a mini iron to Joann's and there was no problem. She just asked me if it worked and I said yes but didn't get hot enough for me.

• 14 years ago

vacuumfreak - you have 40 vacuums? Do they all work or are they vintage vacuums (if there is such a thing?)
    This kind of intrigues me. What do you do with 40 vacuums and where do you "store" them? Are they on display in your house?

I collect chickens (pictures and figurines) I have 6 live ones :-)

Vicky

• 14 years ago

Hmmmm. I love cutting out. I have a long ruler for cutting, and a nine inch square one for measuring. I don't use the lines on the mat at all, and I don't move the fabric between cuts. I place the long ruler about right, and lay the square one in front over the piece I'm about to cut off. My measurement comes from the square one on top, and I use it to nudge the long ruler to the exact right spot. Slide the square one up and down your strip, butting it against the long ruler and you can see your measure mark go over the entire fabric edge so it's true at the bottom and top. Once you get used to it, it takes about two seconds.

It's good to have one of those Gypsy Gripper handles on your long ruler. I have an old straight ruler with plastic gripping film applied to the back so it still slides but grips under pressure. Sandpaper dots are too grippy, and then you can't adjust the long one without pulling the fabric.

If you are trying to place the fabric just right using the mat lines as the guide, you have to constantly readjust the fabric along lines that are actually under the fabric for the most part. That's a pain!

Does that help any?

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County