Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Help with exercise bicycle problem..........

17 years ago

Hi,

I realize this is not the right place for this question, but I figured you people were probably pretty handy, and I didn't know where else to ask this.

I have an old Tunturi exercise bicycle. I'm trying to use it, and the danged seat keeps lowering. I'm post-knee surgery and I have to have it a certain height, in order to make the pedals go around and me not scream out in pain.

I just can't tighten it enough to keep it from sinking down. I can post a pic of the tightening mechanism if that would help......but I didn't want to do that until I was sure anybody was interesting in helping me.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments (12)

• 17 years ago

You could post a photo, or you could take the photo to your local bicycle shop and describe your problem to a mechanic.

• 17 years ago

If you never plan on lowering it , there's always the drill a hole through the post and insert a bolt solution.

• 17 years ago

THanks eric and rjoh.
    I hadn't thought of a regular bike shop!
    I had thought about the drilling a hole and putting a metal dowel or bolt through it. It came to me in a dream last night. hahaha

Thanks for your suggestions!

• 17 years ago

I thought of the simplest fix. A hose clamp. masde of stainless steel. tighten it around the seat post. use 2, one on top of the other to keep it from slipping. Available at any hardware store or home supply store. Couple of bucks for a package.

Here is a link that might be useful: hose clamp

• 17 years ago

Hose clamps will still slip, I have tried them in applications like this and they don't work well

• 17 years ago

rough up the surface or use a piece of rubber hose under the clamp. lots of friction there.

• 17 years ago

rjoh,
    So I would put 2 clamps on the post that holds the seat (and goes into the larger tube on the bottom)? I'm thinking even a wide rubber band might work under the clamps, to give more traction??

• 17 years ago

Yes put the clamps on the post thast holds the seat. Offset the tighteners. Roughen up the post first create some friction. put the rubberbands under them.

The clamps are cheap. any material that does not slip easily under the clamps should work.

Have not done anything like this sionce I was a kid.

Had to fix things best we could.

• 17 years ago

Thaks rjoh.
    Its funny when you said "since I was a kid", I remembered how we would attach cards to our spokes with clothes pin. That really sounded cool! (But maybe you're too young to remember that.)

• 17 years ago

Catherine: I used to have a bike repair business. If the hose clamps don't work, you might try cutting a strip of metal from an aluminum can, loosening the clamp, slip the metal around the seat post, under the existing clamp, and tighten. OR, take your photo to a good bike shop and talk to a mechanic. They should have at least one solution. Good luck, Steve

• 17 years ago

Oh I remember that! I am not that young...... born in 57

• 17 years ago

Thanks Steve.
    rjoh.....ah yes, the good old days! :)