Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vampiressrn_gw

phone obsessed

13 years ago

I like phones, but would really need to find a cordless vintage style phone with an answering machine for my living room. Pottery Barn had a black one but they sold the one I ordered out from under me...ghrrrr. I did get the green one for my kitchen. This phone does not have an answering machine though.

I have a reproduction wall payphone for my Tiki Lounge...it is still packed somewhere in my many boxes in the garage, so when I come across it I'll be happy to get it on the wall.

Here is the reproduction field phone in my master bedroom.

This is the red retro phone from PB in my guest bungalow.

{{!gwi}}

Boring techno cordless black phone in living room...not even worth a picture. Anyone know where I can get a non-techno looking phone with answering machine?

Comments (11)

• 13 years ago

I own both the Pottery Barn table phone and the matching wall phone shown in the pic above. They both have static and are really not up to par. The wall phone you can barely hear. Anyone else have probelms? I should of taken them back but was to busy. Now it has been to long

• 13 years ago

I have the black retro phone(shown above) that I bought from Cracker Barrel restaurant for $40.00. While it looks good, like Jenny I have problems with it and should of taken it back. People can barely hear me on the other end so I rarely use it. But like I said, it looks good in my farm kitchen, so what the heck.

The previous owners left a princess wall phone on the wall in my kitchen and it works fine, but I forget I have it. I hang aprons on it, I guess that tells you how much I cook. (lol) I always grab the cordless so I can walk around.

But I do love phones. Do ya'll remember the decorative ones the phone company came out with... oh gosh twenty years or maybe thirty years ago. They were real Zsa Zsa Gabor type ones. Of course I had to have one, it's probably laying in a land field somewhere, still working.

.....Jane

• 13 years ago

Why not use a voice mail system from your telephone service provider? Then you don't have to futz with an answering machine?

• 13 years ago

Thanks for letting me know about the poor quality of that black phone...I don't feel so slighted now.

Interesting...I never thought of giving up the old answering machine, but now that I think about it people could always leave a message on my cell and I could check into the service provider option too.

With that said, I am now looking for just a plain classy phone for my living room. Although I would like it to be cordless, I could give up that option if I find a great phone...the search is on!!!

• 13 years ago

I know nothing about the quality of these phones, but thought you might like to browse the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phone?

• 13 years ago

Thanks forhgtv. I have been Googling and came across that sight, much appreciated.

My living room is traditional with dark woods, browns, blacks and tans, and the phone would sit on a table next to a dark bronzed table lamp. Let me know what you think of the following:

Here is one I like from Design Toscano (I have a lot of items in my home from this company and have always been happy with my purchases).
    {{!gwi}}

These phones are from Smith Gear (I donÂt know this company).

• 13 years ago

The cordless house phones must have a wired base unit, which is also plugged in to a power socket. Many of those base units also work when the power is off, which is a handy feature. Then they have additional phone units which can be located anywhere in the house as long as their charger thingy is plugged into a power plug.

I am awaiting the arrival of my new phone setup which will replace my old cordless phone system that is going kaput. I am also changing phone providers to go with Comcast and dropping ATT, which will still be my cell phone provider. I make most long distance calls via the cell phone anyway. Just use the house phone for local calls. I've grown attached to the number, being with me for more than 30 years, so mostly out of habit or nostalgia, want to keep it.

The phone system I ordered is the new 1.9 Ghz DECT system which has less interference than the older 2.4 and 5.9 whatever system currently installed. I ordered it from Target, but they surprised me with a high shipping fee and think you could do better shopping elsewhere.

Only, it is very difficult to find many phones which only plug into the phone line without any additional features. The Princess is still among the selections.

I think the days of a wired phone are numbered, don't you?

• 13 years ago

Most definitely...the industry is trying to push the plug-in phone into "a thing of the past" and really I could get by with just my cell. However I am so attached to my various desktops that I can't make that change...can't give up the fight. Plus I only give my friends my cell number.

I would prefer a cordless phone but the components on the cordless phones are so poor that the quality is not adequate.

My dream would be to have my cell phone that is linked into my desk phones and have someone build some great decorative desk phones. I am probably going to buy one of those phones I have pictured above...leaning more towards the Design Toscano version.

• 13 years ago

I like the first and second ones the best. If you've purchased from Design Toscano before and were happy with their quality, their telephone would be my first choice.

• 13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your help. I liked the Design Toscano version the best and my BFF voted for it too...LOL

I ordered it and hope it works well. I will be so glad not to look at my techy phone in the living room when I swap them out. Techy phone will go in my MCM guest bedroom, so I will still have answering machine capability.

• 13 years ago

That site given had the classic phones and so many really just cute ones too. Some I recall from my younger yrs.. Thanks!!