Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schmede

Help! Measuring Problems! I NEED some advise.

16 years ago

My kitchen Design includes a bar. The front of the bar has three shaker panels. The Cabinet maker's measurement for the bar is five inches off (he measured it from the kitchen side rather than the dining room side). In order to avoid waste he proposes to make a new center panel that is 5 inches wider than the two on the side. How do you think this would look? Should I insist that remake all three panels to be equally wide?

By the way...this is the second issue we have had with him. He already incorporated 2.5 inch spacers on the edge of my upper cabinets which really bothers me since I was going for a very streamlined custom look (the cabinets are frameless). But regarding those spacers there is really no way to "fix" it other than remaking the cabinets.

Comments (4)

• 16 years ago

First off, who measured? If your cabinet maker did, and the mis-measurements are causing a disconnect b/w your design vision and what you're actually getting, then I recommend talking to him about this and asking him to remake not only the front bar, but also the upper cabinets.

This is your kitchen, not his. You are paying him to build the cabinets you contracted for--not to "make do" b/c he made what appears to be two 5" measurement errors (or, are they on the same wall, just uppers/lowers?) When all is said & done, you have to live with the kitchen, he does not.

If this means a lot to you, you need to stand fast and, assuming you haven't paid 100% for the cabinets yet, do not pay him any more until he makes it right to your satisfaction.

This is really difficult, I know. I don't know if you've followed my saga, but I had many significant measuring error in my kitchen and my KD tried to force me to do it her way... Yes, it took a couple of months, but I eventually prevailed! Money speaks louder than words and the longer you refuse to pay any more, the more likely he is to give you what you contracted with him for and what you want.

GOOD LUCK!!!! HTH!

• 16 years ago

I just realized that probably sounded harsh...if you're OK with the changes he's proposing, then I would let him know that while you will let him "make do," you still aren't happy about it. This way he at least knows you won't necessarily let him do what he wants...at least he won't be sure.

If there is a compromise that you can both agree on (and the most important person who has to agree is you), then by all means, go with that compromise.

But, make sure you aren't doing this just b/c you don't like confrontation, etc. If you let it go even though you are really unhappy, you will always remember that you didn't get what you really wanted and kick yourself for not sticking to your guns.

If you go with his solutions, you might consider asking him for a discount or something else to make it up to you for messing with your vision!

• 16 years ago

If your cabinet maker measured incorrectly, then it is up to him to come up with a solution that makes YOU happy. He could refund some of your $$, or redo the cabinets or throw in some extra something or other - whatever will make you happy. I certainly wouldn't hand over any more $$ until things have completed to your satisfaction.

• 16 years ago

buehl, your comment wasn't too harsh. I agree with you. It is important to me and it was his mistake. I really think I am going to have him remake the panels.

As for the upper cabinet spacing issue...the spacers were added to the final plans. For some reason I did not realize they were there so that is my mistake and I will either pay to have it fixed, or just get over it.