Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelende

Another mattress question

15 years ago

Now that the holidays are approaching, I expect sleepover company and need to buy a twin mattress that will support weight of both 250 lbs. and 40 lbs, (not both at same time). Doing research I discovered a private mattress store that custom makes mattresses. Their best quality for twin box spring and mattress is priced at $593.00 complete. It is made of 13 gage steel with 312 coils. It is a two sided mattress which can be turned over, very unusual today. I haven't seen it, I got all this info from the telephone. Before I drive the long distance to go there, can someone comment on what they think of the makeup of this mattress?

Comments (4)

• 15 years ago

I'd like to suggest you see if anyone locally sells Serta perfect sleepers. They are the most widely used commercial coil in the world. Meaning that's the brand most hotels use because it is a pretty strong coil. A 13 gauge is a sturdy wire for a mattress, the thickest I am aware of is a 12.75. I sell beds for a living, but in Canada, so it's hard for me to know about the price comparison. Here I would sell the specs you've described not as the top of the line at all, but as a great kids or guest bed. However I'd likely sell it for 399.00-499.00 depending on the amount of comfort layers there were on it. I'd thought the prices of beds in the U.S. was less, I could be wrong.I haven't sold a two sided bed for 5 years and don't own one either, I don't feel it is a real benefit nowadays with the different technology that's used in beds. If this is a company bed a one sided matt should last a very long time for occasional use.I also feel sometimes there can be a benefit to dealing with a brand name product and a local business if any issues arise. Hope this helps,
    cindy

• 15 years ago

Since this is just a guest bdrm and won't get much use other than the occasional sleepover guest, I'd just go to Sam's Club or Costco and find something less expensive. I've had several (over) 250 lbs guests and they did fine.

And I know I am out of the loop but I really do not like pillow top mattresses. I like the regular ones most hotels use.

• 15 years ago

Shelly, that sounds high. We recently bought a new Queen complete set that ran less than the price you got. It is a Serta Galina. I will add the link below so you can see it.

We are in Indiana and this store only services about three states, but you should find something similar in your area, I would think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serta Galina

• 15 years ago

This is for a spare bedroom, but family members tell me it's very comfortable.

Mpwdmom, I agree with you, I do not like pillow top mattresses either. We do have plush mattress pads, however. It's like sleeping on a cloud.