Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Chandelier vote

12 years ago

I have touches of bronze metal in my room, but my curtain rods are black, so I'm thinking about going with black light fixtures? Do you think that will look okay?

My table is 47 1/2" and the lights I'm looking at are approximately 21" across. What are the rules on the size of chandelier you should use?

Here's my room:

Now for the chandeliers. Which one do you like the best?

#1 (22" diameter by 21" high)

#2 (20" diameter by 26" high)

#3 (22" diameter by 26" high)

#4 (21" diameter by 21 3/4" high)

Comments (40)

• 12 years ago

Of those you posted I am partial to the last one.

• 12 years ago

The "rules" say a chandelier over a table should be approx. 12" less than the diameter of the table and the bottom of it should hang 3' above the table.

In that case these chandeliers are too small and should be closer to 35", 12" less than your table, though that seems really wide to me. You can google "size of chandeliers" for measurement info.

• 12 years ago

I forgot to add, I like #4 the best. I think the ones with crystals are nice, but a little too formal for your room and furniture.

• 12 years ago

I really like the last one!

• 12 years ago

I love all of them! I think crystal can even be used with country primitives. It just depends on balance. Size? I don't remember but like OP said, you can google and get info, including height above the table. The current chandelier needs to be lowered, though.

• 12 years ago

The last one for sure.

• 12 years ago

#4 - very pretty!

• 12 years ago

I like the last one...very pretty!

• 12 years ago

I know those are almost all pottery barn ones, maybe all... Try overstock. They have the same knockoffs for a lot less. I think that celeste one is just over 200 if I remember correctly. And, it got really good reviews if I remember right. If you already know all this, sorry I thought i might still say something. :)

• 12 years ago

I just read the description for #4 and I think it may be more of a brown than black:

"The pretty bell shape is accentuated with drapes of twisted iron and French wire with dark brown fabric covered cording for an authentic antique look. Crafted of hand forged iron with dark rust finish, 6 candle cups and off-white drip sleeves."

Has anyone seen anything similar to this in black?

• 12 years ago

I like number 3. I like 4 also but it seems more French to me and doesn't seem to go as well as 3. It's interesting to see all of the preferences! Good Luck! Other places to look are Lighting Universe and Lamps Plus both online.

• 12 years ago

I like the last one and can I just say how much I've enjoyed watching your space come together!

• 12 years ago

I like #3 but may like it more without the shades.

• 12 years ago

i think i would like a brown/bronze chandy in your room more than black...

i love crystal chandys... but, agree, that #4 would probably look best in your space.

• 12 years ago

I like #3 best.

• 12 years ago

I like the last one because it seems to have a somewhat casual feel that goes with your room.

• 12 years ago

I think no. 4 may be 'in keeping' but no. 1 will shake things up a little add a bit of unexpected bling without going over the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Must Know Measurements

• 12 years ago

Am I the only one that likes #1?

• 12 years ago

I'm no help as I like them all! However according to "the rules I've heard" they are all too small.

The 3 'rules' seem to be either:

1. Add the length of the room and the width in feet and use that measurement in inches for the diameter of the chandy.

2. 1/2 the width of the table

3. 3/4 of the width of the table

Good luck on finding a chandy you love that's right for the room.

• 12 years ago

franksmom - #1 was my original choice, but when I saw it was on sale and starting looking at the other choices to make sure it was the one, I found myself looking at some of the more simple styles. I feel like my style is constantly changing, which makes it really hard to decorate a room over a period of time. A year ago, this is what I actually "thought" I wanted:

Now I think this is too much. When I bought my curtain rods, the concensus was that I should go with black instead of brown, because I already had too much brown in the room and every room needs a touch of black. So, should I stick with the black rod and get a black fixture to match? Should I change out the rods to brown and go with a brown fixture? It wouldn't look right to have black rods (only black thing in the room) and a brown fixture would it? This room is open to my kitchen and I was eventually planning to change my hardware in there to ORB and thought the black hardware in the family room would look good with that.

I measured my current chandelier and it's 22 1/2" across. It's not directly over my table in the picture, but you can still get an idea of how it looks in proportion to the table.

• 12 years ago

Forgot to mention I found this one at Lighting Direct and it's similar to the last one except that it's black. I like it, but it just doesn't seem to have the charm the brown one has.

• 12 years ago

I like number 1.

• 12 years ago

I'm back again. I just wanted to say I actually do like all of them and don't think you can go wrong with any that you're showing. I also think black or bronze will look nice.

• 12 years ago

#4 is my pick - I think that the scrolly pattern and the texture would look nice in your space.

• 12 years ago

I like all of them but like the last one best, I think it's the beading- has more of a wire look than a cast iron. They're all really nice though and I would get the one you like best.

• 12 years ago

I like 1 and 2

• 12 years ago

Have you considered spray painting your current one black? It actually looks a lot like #3, and you could probably find some dangly glass/crystal pieces at a craft store to hook onto your current one, although I think the crystals make it look super formal whereas your family room with ceiling fan look more casual.

I think black is the way to go. You already have black not only on your rods, but also on your antique sewing machine(?) and on your fireplace. If you decide against painting your current one, my choice would be the very last one you posted Monday night from Lighting Direct.

• 12 years ago

I like #1! I don't think those crystals are over the top...it's not like you are trying to do a Liberache room, lol! It's just a charming little bit of bling...I think it will become one of your favorite elements in the room!

• 12 years ago

I like # 2. The room has high ceilings and I think that a taller chandelier would look better. The current one is situated way too high up and it is lost in the room because it lacks height.

• 12 years ago

Laurie,
    I love #4. I love it so much that I want one! Where did you find it, if I may ask? Your room looks great. All of your hard work is paying off in spades.

• 12 years ago

meowzer - You're right...I do have black in other areas of the room. It's funny how I only noticed it on my curtain rods.

anniecat - #4 came from Ballard Designs. It's on sale for $149 right now. I originally saw a similar one in a magazine. It was from Williams Sonoma and was over $1,000.

• 12 years ago

Well this is weird, but #4 is no longer on Ballard's website. I found it in their catalog, so I know that's where I saw it. I still haven't decided for sure that's the one I want, but I hope that doesn't mean they're not going to carry it anymore just in case.

• 12 years ago

I personally like number 2 best, but I think any of the black chandys would look good. I agree that black wrought iron is a better choice than bronze/rust.

• 12 years ago

Love #2! Who sells it?

• 12 years ago

I have one very similar to number 4 in my MBR. So, you guessed it, that's the one i like. There is something very graceful about it. I love looking at it.

$149 is amazing. I bought mine at Klaff's in CT and it was like $900, supposedly 50% off.

• 12 years ago

Both #1 and #2 are from Pottery Barn.

• 12 years ago

Love 1, 2 and 4, but definitely vote for no. 4. I wanted the same one for my dining room but my ceiling was too low.

I think either black or dark bronze will work. I use both finishes in my light fixtures from Hubbardton Forge and they work well together.

• 12 years ago

Laurie,
    Thanks for the origin of that Ballard chandelier. Hope they don't get rid of it!

• 12 years ago

mtnrdredux - Do you have a picture of your chandy in your bedroom?

juddgirl2 - How exactly did you use both finishes? Were they in different rooms or in the same room? Whichever one I go with, I'll have to find a fan and a fixture the same color for my entryway since they're basically all in the same room.

• 12 years ago

The fixtures are used throughout different rooms but I have an open concept living/dining/foyer area so you can usually see each fixture whereever you are. It all works.

E.g., in every room I have ORB (almost black) window and door hardware and in the:

Dining room: a HF dark bronze chandy w/clear glass bells.

Living room: HF black iron table lamp and an ORB ceiling fan.

Foyer: a HF black iron chandy w/clear glass bells.

Kitchen: ORB ceiling fan and HF medium bronze pendant lights w/opaque bells.

Powder room: HF medium bronze lighting fixture w/opaque globes, an ORB (more of a copper toned) faucet and accessories, and a hammered copper sink.