Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puppeez_gw

Can I really have it all?

13 years ago

After 21 years, we are planning on taking the kitchen back to the studs and creating a new, more functional (I hope!) space. It is a 1-butt kitchen (DH and 2 puppeez watch). We host holiday dinners, occasional picnics and brunches when others may help or just hang out, but I do most of the cooking.

The overall space is 164''w x 33'l for the kitchen/family room. The first floor is fairly open with the dining room on the back side of the kitchen, which is open to the foyer which leads to the family room. There is a laundry room on the other side of the DR leading to the garage. Most traffic comes thru the garage, thru the laundry room thru the DR to the kit/FR.

I asked the KD for a step-in pantry, a 2nd sink, an island (vs existing peninsula/seating), a place to eat/hang out in the kitchen, a larger window, plus accommodate the appliances I've purchased - 48'' built in sxs, 30'' m/o and WD, 36'' cooktop, and DW.

She gave me everything I asked for, and I sit and gaze at her drawings. My question is, is it functionally the best it can be? Get me back to reality and help me figure out if I can work with this kitchen layout.

Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• 13 years ago

I'm curious...does it at least look nice?

I'm sorry to say that, IMHO, it's not really functional...and I think you at least suspect that as well! The prep sink on the island is pretty useless. It's not situated so it can be used for prepping.
    The DW is situated in the middle of the Prep Zone b/w the wall sink and the range as well as the prep sink and island and range.
    The island is a barrier island b/w both sinks and the refrigerator.
    The aisle measurements are misleading as they are really cabinet-to-cabinet measurements, not counter-to-counter measurements. So, subtract 3" from the aisle widths (e.g., the 37" aisle is really 34"; the 42" is really 39").
    If the refrigerator is not a built-in (or fully integrated), it will stick out approx 30" if it's counter-depth, 33" to 36" for a standard-depth. So, the aisle width will be reduced correspondingly.

To start, I suggest...

(1) Moving the sink over to under the other side of the window

(2) Moving the DW to the left of the sink

(3) Moving the prep sink to the other end (the range end)

Now, you'll have space to prep both on the wall in front of the window as well as on the island. You have also created a separation b/w the Cleanup Zone and Prep & Cooking Zones, something that we all strive for.

Also, with the sink moved down, the island is now available as well b/c the main/cleanup sink is no longer back-to-back with the island prep area. It may not matter on a day-to-day basis, but when friends & family are helping it will make a big difference! BTW...the prep sink will also be much more useful for the Cooking Zone...it's just a turn and step to empty a pot of water, etc.

• 13 years ago

Oh...notice the aisle measurement in front of the refrigerator is from the refrigerator carcass/box, not the door.

• 13 years ago

Here's a quick layout...the island is still a barrier, though. I'll look at it more when I get back this evening. But, you might consider moving the refrigerator to the left of the sink & DW...but I think more work will need to be done.

Where the seating is, the aisle isn't really wide enough...you really should have 54" to 60" b/c you have counters where someone can work at behind the seats.

Oh, and I would probably move the island to the right so it's a little closer to the cooktop...maybe 3" or so. You could either move the island OR add another 3" to it.. But then, the island becomes even more of a barrier...like I said, more thought/work needed...

While I'm gone, others may also post with other ideas...

• 13 years ago

Is the pantry a must-have? If so... then you can ignore this. (I know many people would be loathe to give up a pantry.) But it seems that there could be some contention between the pantry door and the refrigerator door, and that corner might feel a bit crowded.

If you were willing to go with cabinets there, you could open up that corner and get more landing/pep space for the refrigerator and the cooktop. You could move your prep sink to the run between the cooktop and corner, or tuck it into the corner. The end of the island by the cooktop could be drawers that open toward the cooktop for storing pots/pans.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

I agree with switching the main sink and DW locations.

The prep sink is not in the right location in the original drawing. It could work at the other end close to the stove. If not I think you will have to shorten the island to lessen the barrier.

I would consider getting rid of the 12" deep cabinets on the island and making it shallower to get wider aisles. The odd corners at the transition to the table portion are elbow bangers or kidney stabbers. Make the island all one width.

I don't like corner pantries like that but lots of people do. I would prefer cabinetry all around but if you like the pantry I dont think there is going to be a conflict with the hingeing on *most built in fridges. I would check on that.

• 13 years ago

Buehl, I was hoping you would respond and help me figure out my dilemma. Yup, I think it does look nice, but DH thinks it should cook the food for us for what itÂs probably going to cost! Moving the sink and DW works for me, it gives me more workspace and storage in that corner where I thought I would do my baking. A shallow base cab behind the seating would add a little more space, but the DW would still be the same depth. The island seems to be a major issue. I asked for one because I felt like 9Â from sink to RF was too far yet adding the island creates a barrierÂhence the dilemma. This space is like Goldilocks/3 bearsÂtoo big without, too small withÂ.but where is the just right??

Chicagoans  If I could have nothing but a huge walk in pantry to hold everything I would give up all my cabinets. Right now I have a 36" pantry with the swing-out shelves that I detest. So the step-in pantry is pretty high on my list. I hope it doesnÂt become a Âbe careful what you ask for idea.

Palimpsest  I could live without the 12" cabs in the island to get wider aisles. I didnÂt think about the Âelbow bangersÂ, but youÂre right! Same size for the whole island is no issue for me.

Thank you all for taking the time to analyze the space and help me work through the issues. I appreciate your input.

• 13 years ago

Having a great pantry so you can give up at least some of those overheads also sounds like a good idea.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but just the placement of the DW in that horribly dysfunctional position by the stove makes me question your designer's competence (even if it were, best case, an attempt to meet some criterion of your own). Good thing you wanted to analyze rather than just accept, and it'll probably be a good idea to keep doing just that.

• 13 years ago

The original plan was not awful: it required flipping a DW and prep sink locations and a couple other tweaks. I would hardly call the original KD incompetent.

I am wondering if the improper DW location was an attempt to get in near the most cabinetry. It still makes much more sense flipped as Buehl has done. If you got DW drawers, the conflict with the seating would not be as great. (under 24" pullout vs a 30" door)

There is not a full-depth 48" fridge in production: they are all under 25" so your KD's drawing in that regard was correct. I would still probably make the island narrower its entire length and shorten it a bit--its less of a barrier with the prep sink it a proper location.

• 13 years ago

I have to take my son to the dr and can't look at this further now, but my MW was in a similar situation and we laugh that moving it was the reason we gutted our kitchen and started over. There were other issues, but we really hated it over there and there wasn't any good way to move it -- it became one of the justifications for starting all over with new cabinets. We nixed the corner pantry too and found the space seemed much larger when it was gone.

I agree that this layout is not functional -- you can get it much better. I'll try to get back later, but you're in good hands with the others here.

• 13 years ago

How about something like this?

• 13 years ago

I think you want to be able to open up your fridge doors more than 90 degrees (so crispers can pull out all they way, etc), thats why fridges work so well on the end of runs -- perhaps switch the pantry and fridge

• 13 years ago

I think built-ins have hinges that open differently. However, if more than 3" of filler is needed, then I suggest putting in a 9" or 12" Tall Utility cabinet or pullout Pantry (the narrowest needed).

As to switching Pantry & Refrigerator...no. That would make the island an even worse barrier than it was. The purpose in moving the refrigerator to where it is is to make the island less of a barrier.

• 13 years ago

Yes, built-ins hinge differently --I've heard the Liebherr hinges within the width of the carcass not beyond, for example.

I am assuming the 48" is a side-by-side: if its a SubZero the freezer will be on the left so I think the pullouts would be the ice bucket and a bin or two. However, they are made to be moved around even if the hinge stop is set at 90 degrees. Only some high end units can vary the L-freezer R-fridge configurations on SXSs.

One issue that *could present a problem with the narrow filler in this instance is a handle conflict between the wall ovens and the freezer door.

• 13 years ago

That's looking better. I will pass along what we did with my island -- one side has 21" deep cabinets (often standard depth when called vanity cabinets) and the other side has 13" deep door cabinets. The 13" are standard uppers in my line (Brookhaven/Woodmode) and are a great depth for holding small kitchen electrics -- waffle iron, blender, ice cream maker, even my KA mixer would fit turned sideways if I didn't keep it on the counter. You can also store seasonal dishes, pantry items -- just about everything other than large bakeware and trays. The 21" deep cabinets take a trash pullout just fine. The only challenge was our warming drawer and Dacor makes the indoor/outdoor version that fits in a 21" depth. The total width including the countertop is just about 37".

I can see the oven and fridge handles having a conflict -- and that could be the case with a pullout there too unless you keep the filler and add the pullout. I have a 12" pullout I love and wouldn't hesitate to use one again. You could alaso use a narrow pullout or tall to house a mop, broom, step stool, etc.

If that is going to be your primary eating spot, keep in mind that no one will be able to sit on the sink side of the island when the DW is open.

• 13 years ago

Why would anyone Want to sit there with the DW open?, the open DW door is always one of the situations that is brought up that I don't understand. I've never known anyone who left it open unless it was being unloaded.

Even if it IS left open sometimes, certainly people don't leave it open during Meals, do they? Eww.

• 13 years ago

We have the DW open during prep & cooking b/c since we both work full-time outside the home that's often when the major cleanup occurs...yes, even from the night before as well as the morning's breakfast & after school snack dishes. (The table & counters are cleared & wiped, but that's about it at night.) The DW is also open to air-dry the remaining wet dishes if it's already been run. So, for us, the DW in the Prep or Cooking Zone would be a big issue.

However, the DW is not open during meals...maybe during a snack or something, but for the most part a DW behind a seat like that would be an acceptable compromise...at least for me, especially b/c there are 4 other seats that can be used.

All this being said, it really depends on how the OP uses her kitchen...but it's nice to be able to have it functional regardless of use...

• 13 years ago

WOW! You all have been busy while I was away! I do like the new pantry. I had a similar 8Â one in the old house, and I could store nearly everything in it. I didnÂt think I had room for a long one in this kitchen, but guess I do!

Lascatx  I had to chuckle reading your post on the Âreasons and justifications for doing our remodels. Ours was the boxed in refrigerator giving hints it was ready to retire. That meant that whole wall needed changingÂso might as well do the whole shebang.

Buehl & Palimpsest thank you for working on this layout and providing insight on why things will work better in the new locations. The specs on the fridge say 4½" for 90°, 11½" for 130° to a corner wall. So it sounds like a 3" filler to clear the oven handles and a 9" tall utility? Will I also need a 3" filler to the right of the micro/oven to clear handles on the tall utility?

As for the DWÂyou crack me up! I donÂt see the DW being an issue during mealtime (there are only 2 of us 95% of the time). During holiday dinners, brunches, etc., we use the dining room. So, when it's cleanup time and should anyone STILL want to hang out in the kitchen...they can help or move to the other side or sit in the FR.

• 13 years ago

pupeez,
    I am going to give my two cents which is not worth much but..

Your island is currently about 12 ft long. You will sit at one end counter height to eat meals. I want to ask why you would WANT to do that. I find that type of eating situation far from romantic in a household of two people and not very useful. Have you eaten in these communal restaurants that have 12 ft tables and you eat at one end or wherever there are seats? I suggest that you visit one to see if you like it or not.

I would not want to go around 12 ft of island unless this really gives me the best functional kitchen. 12 ft is longer than many rooms. I would not want to walk around an island that long on daily basis.

If I was home with just my DH, I would want a nice little table for two that has beautiful linen on it at all times, set with sturdy French bistro dishes, cafe au lait and croissant fresh out of oven and NY Times for leisurely breakfast in the morning. I would want that table to look out to the garden, sunset, sunny corner of the lot whatever your house has to offer as its best view. I would not want to stare at my range. That is just me.

I thought I would give a completely different perspective.

• 13 years ago

I'd probably rather have a separate table too, but that's not my decision here. My island is 7 ft long and while it isn't too long, I wouldn't want to nearly double it.

Pamilpest, that's exactly my point -- no one would want to sit there if the DW is going to be in use and no one could be putting things on the DW if there was someone sitting there. I'm almost always putting dishes in the DW when someone is still sitting at the table. If you have 5 people there, chances are they will not all finish eating and clear their dishes at the same time. In my house, I wouldn't put it past a couple of teens to eat faster so they could have an excuse not to put their dishes in the DW. It also wouldn't work when we have guests -- they'd always be parked there and we couldn't clean up anything until they went home.

So if I didn't want them sitting there, I wouldn't put seats there and would use the space for something else. Or put a separate bistro table in there with a space to pass between them. Make it counter height and use a stool that can slide underneath the table on at least the side next to the island and you can even push it up to the island when you want and pull it out when you need extra seating.