Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobotome_gw

Dining Large in a Small Space... Advice please

16 years ago

I have a combination Living/Dining room that will be used several times a year to entertain in. I'm desperately in the need of a buffet which will go underneath the high window.

Now, I usually entertain 12 to 15 people at a time around the holidays and every other sunday. I would like to know if there are any formal dining tables out there that can open up to seat around 10 people, but closes up to be a 4 seater?

You see, my sister in law has an ikea table that does just that. It's definitely NOT dining room material, but I would love something similar in a more formal style. I'm definitely not super formal, I guess I like a contemporary look with a few antique pieces (I want an antique buffet).

This is erroneous info... but I figured I would say it anyway. Our plans for this room is to make it usable and comfy at times other than when I have company. We would like to make the ajoining Living Room ... more the size of a largish sitting room into a reading and wine sipping area. In other words, our two passions have been wine and books. Don't know how we'll be able to make it look right in a non-formal, contemporary-ISH home.

Comments (7)

• 16 years ago

Why don't you flip the spaces? Get a round table that has several leaves, but when closed would seat 4 or 6. Put that in the large area by the wall where the large window is on the right end of the room, and when you open it into the oval, have it run out into the room, parallel to the railing. Put a buffet and bookcases on the wall that is at the top of the pix, creating the feeling of a built in. Install a wine fridge and rack in the area as well. Place a couple of the extra side chairs on either end of that area.

Then use the dining room end to create a comfortable sitting area. Perhaps a pair of loveseats in an 'L' under the tall window. Another chair or two, maybe wing chairs or arm chairs that would function as the host/hostess chairs when the table is extended. A low cocktail table in the center. Change out the light fixture to a wonderful pendant fixture, then wall mount some lamps for reading light. Add an area rug here to define the space.

• 16 years ago

I'm not all that fond of switching spots although the space in the sitting area is a little larger. I was planning on stealing a bit of space for the extended table when I have company eating over. I prefer to keep the dining area where it currently sits because it's right next to the kitchen this way and it would gnaw at me to see the dining room right next to our entry door like that. Besides, if I put the reading area in the current dining area, we would be able to look right into the busy family room.

The light fixture is going to be replaced as well as the ceiling fan, and you're right, the place sure does need an area rug, not only to stop the echo, but to warm it up a bit.

Wine, food and reading would be the "theme" here. Me who's stomach turns at themed rooms! Sheesh what a hypocrite I am! It's not easy to warm up a room with cathedral ceilings.

• 16 years ago

Well, I would still look for a round table that can open into an oval with leaves. I would also use the wall I suggested for the buffet, bookcases, etc.

• 16 years ago

Agree with les917 - I have a cherry Pembroke drop leaf that will open up to accommodate 3 extra leaves. Fully extended, I have sat 10 (but 8 gives you more elbow room). In it's round state, leaves up, it's beautiful for 4. I have the QA sides and arms too.

I remember large gatherings from times past in other homes with other dining arrangements; oftentimes a card table would be added to one end of the table to accommodate the overflow - no one seemed to mind. Adjusting centerpieces, etc. for the add on, it just blended in to the main table. People just like to be with those they care about; what they're dining on is secondary.

• 16 years ago

I do agree with Les -- switch the spaces and make a gorgeous dining space (BUT add bookshelves!!!!) and a cozy comfy lounge/library area!

Here's some inspiration photos from PB -- might work here ......

Here is a link that might be useful: PB dining rooms inspiration photos

• 16 years ago

This is rather unorthodox, but my friend did this and it works. She could seat 6 people max at her table. She had a plain wood top made to the size she needed to seat 10, and this is the good part. On the underside of the new top she had a frame added that was about 6" deep that fit around the shape of the existing table top. This way the new top didn't slide around; the deep underframe anchors it in place. She just removes it when it's not needed and stores it under her bed.

• 16 years ago

i have no advice, but i like your wall color! do you mind sharing what color it is? thanks!