Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memcg_gw

Anxious- & would appreciate counter choice help

11 years ago

Hi, all~ We have decided on medium stained cherry cabinets, multi-color slate backsplash, similar floor but porcelain. Appliances and sink are stainless. It is not a huge kitchen but part of an open floor plan with pretty good light. My KD recommends Cambria quartz in either Clyde or Dover. I'm not totally convinced. Part of me fears the counters will look like plastic, the other fears they will be boring. I'd love a black or dark quartz or some granite but she says black would be too dark with the other choices and granite would be too busy with the slate. Does anyone have Cambria Clyde or Dover? Do you like it? Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

Comments (11)

• 11 years ago

I really like quartz ( we are doing Cambria Torquay) and don't think it looks plasticy at all. Honestly, though, I'm not a huge fan of the truly "speckly" ones like Clyde or Dover. To me they do look a little more fake and a little boring. There are a lot of beautiful Cambria choices in that more neutral tone that are less uniform. darlington, Linwood, Lincolnshire - all gorgeous. Good luck!

• 11 years ago

I have a light colored Caesarstone called Buttermilk. It would be closer to Clyde than Dover in color and pattern. It's much like Cuddington. It doesn't look a bit plasticky. It looks glassy, just like the black colors. Try to see it with light reflecting off it. It really is beautiful.

We have natural cherry cabs and porcelain tile floor. The floor has some pattern and color variation, and we haven't chosen a backsplash yet. You will be fine with a neutral pattern counter because of your backsplash and flooring.

You can't see any of the pattern and everything looks a little pink, but here's the overall look.

• 11 years ago

Thank you. I've looked at many photos on Houzz but I'm still undecided. I am always drawn to the dark counters but my KD does not favor them (sigh). I appreciate the comments about the lighter quartz, that may help me feel better if we do go with that choice. Thanks again.
    Anyone else?

• 11 years ago

If you're always drawn to darker counters, I think you should try to find a darker, not too busy counter of whatever material that makes you really excited. Are you in love with the multi slate BS? If not, and if it is keeping you from getting a counter you swoon about, maybe you can find a combination that you like better. Or keep the multi and maybe not a black counter, but a counter that picks up one of the colors in the slate.

Anyway, it's a lot of money for you to spend on something you'll live with a long time. I think you should be in love with it and wildly excited about it, not trying to convince yourself it's OK. Just like getting married, really. Like the song says, you better shop around.

• 11 years ago

Then get what you want and be happy. You love dark counters. Your KD is supposed to help you achieve your dreams, not make you feel sad about not getting what you want.

Did you already order your cabs? I considered staining until I saw aged natural cherry. I love the beautiful grain of natural cherry. Mine are only two months old and will darken more. We don't have any sapwood, so we didn't get that striped effect you sometimes see with cherry.
    Natural cherry looks great with dark accents, like the counter you really want. We were going to use brushed nickel hardware, but it looked blah, so we went with ORB.

• 11 years ago

We did order our cabs just last night. The cherry is one notch up from natural. We are decided on the slate-- looks great with the rest of our house, we both love it and we are doing our fireplace and entry in the slate too (open floor plan so all ties together). I'm starting to talk myself into the Cambria quartz Blackwood, which is mostly black but with some browns and greys. I'm surprised that some parts of this process are so easy and some so difficult. Thanks for your help. Still interested in more opinions, if anyone else wants to chime in. Thanks!

• 11 years ago

I like the already posted idea of picking up a color from your slate backsplash.

I would put soapstone with it if it were me. If you like slate and a fairly natural cherry, then you like natural surfaces and some imperfections. The other option is to get a honed or leathered granite--absolute black or steel gray. Go check them out a the stone yard. I really don't think the cambria or a polished granite sound right from what you say, but I am not a KD; this is just my gut instinct.

Most importantly, get what you want (or as close to it as you can afford)!

• 11 years ago

You still don't sound psyched about the Cambria, although it does sound pretty (and it's dark!). I found this picture of Blackwood with maple from an old thread.

Isn't Cambria more expensive than some granite? Why is the KD pushing for the Cambria instead of real stone? If you really aren't crazy about the Cambria, I like the idea of a leathered dark granite. That wouldn't be busy. Some have undertones of greens or blues that could work with the slate colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone have Cambria Blackwood?

• 11 years ago

I use Cambriz Sussex in the kitchen I did last summer with medium cherry cabinets and a earthy green marble backsplash. I am moving and will miss it!

I am currently putting in the cabinets in the new kitchen and am going with a slightly darker browner stained cherry, Cambria Darlington and no backsplash...gotta mix, it up, I can't do the same thing twice!

You've got to love it, not your KD. There are beautiful Cambria choices as well as granite. Pick something you love so every morning when you enter your kitchen you smile!

• 11 years ago

I am using very similar colors to yours in my own kitchen remodel. My countertop is KeyStone Quartz "Dakota Copper", which is very similar to Cambria's "Southampton", which I have attached. I think it would bring out the color of your cabinets nicely, yet play off of the slate floors as well.
    Best of luck with your remodel.