Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjb817

Tree ID-Central Louisiana

9 years ago

This tree is growing on he edge of my in laws property in central Louisiana. My FIL can't figure out what it is either. He says it hasn't flowered or made fruit that he's noticed. This picture was taken just last week. It appears to be either tardily deciduous or semi-evergreen. Ideas on what it could be? I'm stumped.

Comments (13)

• 9 years ago

Another pic.

• 9 years ago

Leaf close up.

• 9 years ago

Would like a better look at twigs and buds.

• 9 years ago

This is all I have, unfortunately. I won't be getting back that way for a few months either.

• 9 years ago

Magnolia virginiana

• 9 years ago

I was thinking M. virginiana, but seemed too obvious, so thought it must be something else. The second picture, with its semi-deciduous look, looks just like mine, so, it might be just that. If it is virginiana and has not flowered, they really are missing something delightful in fragrance. Its small flowers even more aromatic than M.grandiflora. It is much underutilized in the North where Saucers and Star Mags dominate. Apparently, there are northern and southern varieties of the same virginiana species. The northern ones are more deciduous, the southern ones more semi-evergreen.

This post was edited by njoasis on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 18:57

• 9 years ago

I thought of that one also, but didn't think the individual leaf shown was right. The scattering of dead leaves having gone tannish is like that species however; if you remember the leaves being markedly pale beneath then that would cinch it.

• 9 years ago

Sweebay magnolia.
    The vine that is growing up the side of the tree may have killed the main trunk, and the branches with leaves still on them are the other branches left.
    That poor shrub looks neglected big time.
    They are evergreen in your area, or at lest they are suppose to be.
    In any case, I would cut the dead part down, or even get rid of it and plant something pretty there, that doesn't need a lot of water.

• 9 years ago

I agree about that single leaf looking slightly off, but not sure why. Dark out now, so can't compare it to mine. But as stated above if the leaf underside is paler (almost a grayish/green hue), definitely M. virginiana (aka., sweetbay).

• 9 years ago

In the research I did on my own, Sweetbay was what I was thinking too, but it just didn't seem quite right. I'll have to look at the undersides of the leaves when I go back there in the spring.

I'll also be curious to see if it decides to flower next year. I didn't notice any seed pods on it this time around.

The whole thing is alive. It almost all green yet when I visited at Thanksgiving. It's just multi-trunked. We cut the vines, so the shouldn't cause any more trouble. It seems like crazy big vines of all types flourish in that part of the world...

• 9 years ago

It looks stressed alright. They are completely evergreen here in my area.

• 9 years ago

Clearing around it may have affected it. Otherwise the few native growing sweet-bays I saw when I was in the Orlando area were little scraggly sticks confined to low areas near water, where they competed with other shrubs in thickets. The tree and situation shown here look similar.

• 9 years ago

We cleared out the area around it recently, so we'll see what that does. I've been helping my FIL hack away at the out of control bamboo and vine jungle...