Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Oh no, tree leader broken off

Hello all,

I have a very small Acer Saccharum that is still in its pot. It was not leafed out when I bought it. Something, a deer is a likely suspect, broke off the leader. The tree has now leafed out, but without a leader.

How unattractive/unhealthy will it be as it grows if I plant it now? Would it look awful in the front yard where I planned to have it replace a very old, very large oak (yes, I know I will never see it grow that large, but someone will). Should I plant it out back and just let it do as it darn well pleases? I do have a spot I could clear of some awful liriope someone who shall remain nameless planted and even if it looks bad, it will block the view from the porch to a neighbor's house for 3/4th of the year. Should I let it go and try with another?

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas, opinions, comments, criticisms. I just hate giving up on a tree.

Cynthia

Comments (14)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    10 days ago

You would be surprised what trees can overcome. I would probably plant it in back and get another fro the front. You are smart to buy a small one. They actually grow faster than the bigger ones.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks, Sherry. Not so much smart, although I did know that small ones will catch up just fine. Mostly it is due to the fact that I am 72 and not the hole digger, I used to be. ;-)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    10 days ago

We must be twins! I'm 72, also.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • cecily 7A
    10 days ago

I wish you could post a photo. Since the tree is small, it may releader and go on to develop a straight trunk over time.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked cecily 7A
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I tried, but will try again. Nope, not working. It looks like it posts, but then the post shows up without the photos. Aaaaarrrrggghhh .

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Bill, thanks. I have never had difficulty before. The photos just either aren't fully loading (after waiting just now for more than ten minutes) or there is a glitch with my account or my computer. Ugh. ETA: Tried on another forum, and same thing happened. I wait until the submit buttonturns dark green and then hit submit. Nada.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 days ago

I have beat trees back with a weed eater before noticing what they are and deciding to let em live.

They would have been happier w/o but young healthy saplings are used to this.

So if your maple is otherwise healthy I think it will be ok. A proper pruning cut would help though.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Toronado, I will plant it and let it grow a bit. Then, if I ever get a photo to load, I will get your and others' advice on proper pruning. I have gotten better at that, but still not really proficient, or even decent to be honest. Sigh.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    10 days ago

@ cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)Original Author

The only other thing I can think of is pictures that have a larger file size i.e. =>4800 x height can be a problem on this site.

I many times reduce the file size to something like 1800 W. x Height and haven't had a problem.

Also iphones have a default HEIC file type setting. Changing it to .png or .jpg might help.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    10 days ago

Plant the tree and by the end of the season, you'll have a new leader that's twice as long as the old one. Small, healthy trees are not that fragile.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 days ago

I take a sceen cap or use a phone program called Picsay to create medium sized versions of photos frequently if that helps.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • mntreegrower
    8 days ago

As others have said, need a picture. Is there a pliable, skinny side branch you can bend upward to make a new leader with? You can fix broken/stunted/frost damaged leaders easily with a small but strong piece of bamboo and some plant tie ribbon. Or even by just tying that side branch to the remaining dead or broken nub of the original leader.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 days ago

all trees releader ... even if you mow them over with the riding lawnmower in some drunken lawnmowing misadventure...

tree time is counted in decades.. give it 2 or 3 years to recover.. then do some pruning to train it back to one leader.. etc..

nbd ... imo .. wtf... obo.. bogo.. etc.. lol

ken