Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

I know it's absurd to fall in love with lamps ...

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

even BEFORE I've decided on master bedroom furniture. We'll need a new bed and a couple of nightstands at the very least. But for some reason, I've been obsessed by lamps lately - big, lovely, rounded, SEXY bedside lamps! This one has caught my eye today, and I'm smitten. Although - well, not sure how that finish would look in a house full of ORB hardware. And the pinkish shade? Totally not me, but I'm totally in love with it just the same. I wonder if I could use a pair of these on simple, dark wood nightstands and beef up the bedding somehow to create a room that's (well, SEXY but) not exactly feminine.

I've also been enamored of those Pottery Barn lamps with the big round glass bases, particularly in gorgeous seaglass colors. If you've been lamp shopping lately, have you seen anything that is in line with what I'm describing here that caught your eye? Please share if so!

The only thing that's definite in our master bedroom at the moment is plantation shutters with 4" louvers on the windows. The rest? Blank canvas.

Simeon Pumpkin-shaped Glass Base Table Lamp · More Info

Comments (39)

• 8 years ago

I have had a love affair with lamps for a very long time. I have way more than I need so I have the extras sitting on a shelf in my storage room. I'm sure you and I are not the only ones Jen.
    If you scroll enough to hide the just the shade, the base and nub look like a pumpkin!~

User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

As a fellow lamp loving person myself (I adore beautiful and unusual lamps), I totally understand. I really like this lamp, but not so much the shade. Redone in black, I think it would be fantastic.

User thanked LynnNM
  • 8 years ago

I love lamps and think the glow would be beautiful.

User thanked anele_gw
  • 8 years ago

It does look like a pumpkin! And I'm really surprised that I'm drawn to the color of the shade, but black, you say? Hmmmm ... Now that might be really stunning!

I'm just spewing verbally now, but after having had a rustic/cottagey bedroom for so long, I crave a space that feels very grown-up. Something more sophisticated and on the elegant side. It will still have to be practical (I still live with cats and a big, hairy man), but surely practicality and sensuality (gosh, I feel almost naughty) can coexist?

• 8 years ago

Anele - I thought the glow would be really nice too. I do read in bed, though, so not sure how well these would work. Actually, now that I think about it, this style is probably not the best for reading - but I do think it's the overall style that I want by my bed anyway.

• 8 years ago

Or, since she would be starting with the lamps, she can find side tables big enough to hold the lamp she likes as well as whatever else she needs to have by her bed. I think they are beautiful!

• 8 years ago

the pumpkin lamp looks very feminine to me, even without the shade... and very short! too short for a bedside tablelamp, imo. I could see one on the end of a dresser or something maybe?? the finish would look fine with some orb things in the room...

there are so many cool lamps that I would wait until you have more of a vision for your room...

User thanked busybee3
  • 8 years ago

They look quite different with the white shade, don't they? I don't love them as much that way, so am really surprised at how that pink shade "sent me."

I understand the logic of amassing the main furnishings first. Lamps are, after all, accessories. I tend to know what I LIKE more when it comes to the accessories, though. The bedroom furniture is still just sort of a mishmash in my mind. I did see one of those upholstered wingback headboards (believe it had a footboard as well) at Dillard's recently that I really felt drawn to. Again, a style that feels like sort of a departure for me. I can kinda/sorta envision - in a blurry sort of way - the bedroom I'd like to create. But when it comes to knowing exactly what each piece is, I'm stumped. I think this is going to be harder than I anticipated!

ETA: The pumpkin-shaped lamp with the pink shade is actually bigger than it looks, at 19 inches in diameter x 27.25 inches tall. The color is also described as "goldtone." Does it look silver to you? Upon closer inspection, the little cap at the top where it meets the shade DOES have more of a bronze look to me than silver ... Hmmm.

• 8 years ago

the little cap and the finial both look like antique gold to me... the base reminds me of a mercury glass christmas bulb that sortof looks both silver and gold... ?? the shade is probably 19 in diameter... that's pretty wide for a bedside table- esp since the base looks like it is at least 16-17" wide at it's widest... that would be too large for our bedsides...

• 8 years ago

In the link Beverly posted, it's identified as an urchin. I also *Love* interesting and different lamps and really dislike puny undersized, under-scaled bedside lamps. With a passion. Haven't tried to measure out the size of yours, but if you could make it work, the night table would need to be a little more substantial.

User thanked gramarows
  • 8 years ago

And be careful about the wingback headboard--that might get in the way of the lamps. You might have to decide which is your 'must have'.

User thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • 8 years ago

Well, tonight I've fallen in love with furniture. These pieces are nicely constructed (I'm a sucker for dovetailed joints), and I love the weathered finish. I think it's masculine but feminine at the same time. DH says to get it if I want it. I'm just not sure exactly which pieces would work best. Here's a few of them though ...

• 8 years ago

• 8 years ago

• 8 years ago

The ergonomics are very impt in bedside lamps. Do you read in bed? Do you want to be able to dim both lamps at the same time, etc?

I will say one thing about the glass lamps. They always show them with no cord. They have cords, or course, and it ruins the look!

User thanked MtnRdRedux
  • 8 years ago

I was in Home Goods today and I swear those lamps were there.

Jane

User thanked jane__ny
  • 8 years ago

When doing a room I love it when I find one piece (a lamp, duvet, drapes, etc) that I *have* to have. I then build the room around that one thing and it makes it much easier I think. I have pink lamps in my bedroom and I love how girly they are - fortunately my husband has little interest. :)

User thanked louislinus
  • 8 years ago

Get the furniture first, those lamps will still be there.

User thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • 8 years ago

Not absurd at all! Earlier this year I bought a lamp that is very similar to what you showed. I 'visited' the lamp a few times before finally bringing it home to reside w/ me in our home. Somewhere. It has an aged-ish gold crackle finish. I just loved the texture or it. It still has the tags on it and is still sitting on the floor in a corner of my DR until I figure out where it's going to go. Rarely do I ever make a purchase this way but I was captivated by it!

User thanked the_foxes_pad
  • 8 years ago

Okay, a few thoughts.

Jen, your style is changing so much! I am amazed. LOL I think I would slow down just a bit. Are you really wanting to do a total change or are you just caught up the the new house excitement? If it were me, I would not buy alot before actually being in the house for a bit and getting a feel for it. For your bedroom, I am a firm believer in using things you love, so if you really love the lamps, I would get them and you can find tables to make them work. For the bedroom furniture, which I realize is something you can't wait on - your bedroom will definitely need to be furnished - are you sure you want a "set" of matched pieces? I know you said you were trying to decide which pieces to buy. Your style - at least in the house you are leaving - is eclectic and unique. Because of this, I just cannot see you having a bedroom of matched pieces. I DO understand about wanting a grown-up bedroom. For a couple, I think it is important to have a bedroom that is a retreat. Be it a relaxing spa like atmosphere, or a glam, sensual space, I think the master bedroom deserves attention. I think sometimes we spend too much time/effort on other rooms and do not give our bedrooms the attention they deserve. If I were you, I'd pin or tear out some pix of bedrooms that appeal to me and then start shopping. If you find a great bed - get it. Build around that. Find bedside tables that will work with your lamps. Don't rush, take your time and find the pieces you really want, the pieces/accessories, bedding, etc. that will make your room special.

User thanked tinam61
  • 8 years ago

I so appreciate your thoughts! Tinam, thanks especially for your input. I totally see your point, because you have "known me" as that weird lady who lives in an old, jumbled, eclectic cottagey house. ;-) Before that incarnation, however, I lived in a big, new house that was much more sophisticated and sparse. I'm sure I've said here how I hated that house, and it's true. I did hate it (sounds ungrateful to say so, but it is what it is), mostly because I shared it with an ex and just have a lot of bad memories of living there. I could say a lot of things about that house, but let it just suffice to say it didn't speak to my soul.

Certainly I'm caught up in new house excitement - I mean, thrilled to have functional appliances after 12 years of making do, for one thing! I'm ready to return to a cleaner, much less cluttered look. I've pared down my possessions considerably already, and have been surprised at how easily identifiable those things that I consider my TREASURES really were (vs. things that I owned just to fill a space). I'm ready to live with good quality. I really did own quite a lot of - well - JUNK.

You do have a valid point about building a room instead of furnishing it all at once. DH and I were discussing this over dinner last night. We won't be in a huge rush, although I really do want a few pieces from that bedroom suite posted above (bed and nightstands for sure). I know I don't want a mishmash of junky pieces as I've had in our old house.

Now that I've fallen in love with the St. Germain bedroom pieces, I'm not so sure those sexy pink-shaded lamps would be the best choice. The wonderful thing is that there ARE so many choices out there! It's so exciting to me (we received the "cleared to close" message from our lender yesterday which makes it feel like this is really happening!), and I feel like I'm embarking on a new adventure. :-)

• 8 years ago

Hate to see you totally abandon what made your style so unique. That's coming from someone who considers her decorating style somewhat eclectic. I have matching bar stools and a dining room table with matching chairs, but that's it. If moving into that territory feels right to you then go for it, but maybe slow down just a bit. Get a feel for your new house first.

User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

I still consider myself eclectic, particularly with my artwork. I have a house full of paintings and photos - mostly Native American and English. I'm definitely not abandoning that combination, as it's ME. I think our new home will still have a unique style, just in a different way. And that's what I'm ready for.

• 8 years ago

I've moved several times and always cart almost all of our stuff with us and try to fit it in the new house as best as I can. but in reality, some of it doesn't really fit the best! I replace some stuff so that it will work better, but not the bulk of it... so, I get the feeling of wanting to set up a new house just right!! I just have never moved into a house with the feeling that we would be there a long, long time so have never really decorated just for that house!

have fun-- I think you really are having fun!! (you seem a little bit like a kid in a candy shop! :)

User thanked busybee3
  • 8 years ago

Oh Jen - I never thought of you as weird! And I do (vaguely) remember the other house. I loved your cottage and thought it was filled with personality. I'm sure this house will be too.

User thanked tinam61
  • 8 years ago

I think that the glass lamp with the pink shade is absolutely fabulous! And I bet that the glow from that shade is quite nice, but maybe not great for reading. It is a very romantic lamp and needs a very special place.

Diane

User thanked powermuffin
  • 8 years ago

Here is the gold one with a white shade:

http://www.wayfair.com/Stein-World-Simeon-27-H-Table-Lamp-with-Drum-Shade-99690-SM6418.html

However, I agree with you, auntjen, love the pink shade.

User thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • 8 years ago

DH asked me earlier today if some of our remaining "junky crud" can go to the curb this week. I'm not even going to think twice about something if it's ugly or has wonky legs or is just downright cheap-looking ... out it goes! Like I said, I've done a great deal of weeding out already (have taken multiple car loads to the Salvation Army donation station), but there's still a bit more to be cleared.

I am a bit concerned about going from a home in which I felt VERY - well, lackadaisical - about imperfections, to a home where I know both of us are going to be quite anal about for some time to come. I know dings and scuffs and spills and pet accidents will happen, but oh, how I long for it to stay nice and NEW looking for as long as possible!

I still love the thought of a romantic glow from the pink lampshade, Diane! That white shade is nice too, WalnutCreek. Actually, the more I look at the lamp and the furniture that I've fallen in love with, the more I see the lamp base resembling an urchin and the wood finish of the furniture reminding me a bit of driftwood. I definitely don't want a themed bedroom, but it might be very cool to have a little romantic hideaway that reminds me of the time I've spent on the coast of Cornwall. Hmmmmmmmm ... the wheels keep a-turnin'.

• 8 years ago

Not absurd to fall in love with lighting! Those are really pretty.

User thanked kiwi_bird
  • 8 years ago

I did a pitiful little mockup. The nightstand is 33" wide, 20" deep and 31.75" high. The lamp is 19" diameter by 27.25" tall. Do you think this approximates how the two pieces would relate?

• 8 years ago

Or ... the white shade. :-)

(You don't have to pay me any mind, really. I'm playing. :-D )

• 8 years ago

You need to know how high your mattress will be when it is set up in the bed. This will help you see where you will be situated if you are propped up on pillows trying to read--and thus, will the lamp be good for reading in bed?

User thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • 8 years ago

I like the lamp, the white better than the pink. However, the lamp takes up a considerable amount of real estate on the nightstand. Fine, if you don't plan on putting much on it, but i would probably go for function over form and get something with a thinner base

User thanked stoofie
  • 8 years ago

The nightstand has a little slim fold-out drawer at the very top where I can stash my rings, watch, etc. The only thing I'm likely to have on the top itself (besides the lamp) is my cell phone, as it doubles as my alarm clock. Good point about knowing how high the mattress will be though. That's yet another thing we're going to have to buy. Ugh. I know a good mattress is very important, but I hate the thought of shelling out $$$ for one.

• 8 years ago

Oh, and if it sounds like I'm not considering DH much when it comes to the master bedroom ... well, he's decided to take the largest of the secondary bedrooms as his own. We spend time together in the master each evening watching tv before actually retiring, but then he pads off to "his" room for sleeping. The man snores like a freight train on steroids, bless him.

• 8 years ago

I showed pics of the lamps to DH last night and he said, "I really like the pink shade." He never ceases to surprise me. :-)

• 8 years ago

I must have looked at thousands of lamps before I purchased my bedroom lamps. I buy by shape, and can look at a page full at once, with my eye going to but one. While I have had my lamps 8 years or so, I still adore them, and would pick the same today.

i agree with Tina. Your decorating metamorphis is so extreme, I would go slowly. I also don't see you living happily with a matched set of bedroom furniture.

Get the lamps, though.

User thanked deeinohio