Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Gardening myths I heard on t.v.

8 years ago

I was watching a t.v. show called Growing a Greener World, and there was a guest named Linda Chalker Scott. Apparently she's written 2 books on gardening myths and one book on what to do. Here's some things I learned.

- staking young trees is not good for root development. If you have to stake one, then just do it for a month.

- garden fabric doesn't work. What really happens is the water barely gets below the fabric to the roots that need the water. Instead it sits on top or drains away. So the water sits on top of the fabric and provides a nice damp environment for weeds to grow on top of the fabric.

- wood chips are good. People say that wood chips cause nitrogen deficiency, but that's only on the top mm of soil. One mm below the surface there is no nitrogen deficiency. She adds wood chips every spring. And don't dig your wood chips into the soil, that will cause N deficiency above and below the wood chips.

I would love to get her books. Does anyone have any of her books?

Carol

Comments (24)

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Those sound like some great tips!

I don't have her books, but I love that program. You can see additional episodes on YouTube and their website.

• 8 years ago

Oh, I didn't know that. :)

Yes, I watch that show all the time.

Carol

• 8 years ago

Interesting. The staking of the tree depends on when you plant the tree. If I plant a tree in the blustery winter/spring months the tree will never live as it will be toppled over by the wind...although, if you plant a deep enough hole it shouldn't be a problem.

The weed fabric depends on the type of fabric. I use the commercial grade stuff and does NOT allow water to permeate, but I have used fabrics in the past that do (they tend not to be very effective.

Does anyone have a link to these YouTube videos? Thanks

• 8 years ago

she has a website with a lot of myths debunked. See:

Horticultural myths

• 8 years ago

Some trees benefit from staking until they build up strength, you just need to stake them properly so they can sway with the winds. That is how they build strength, swaying. See one example article:
    staking discussion, Purdue University

It depends on the species of tree as well as the location. Some need it, some don't. Doing a little research makes for a better garden.

• 8 years ago

I talked to Linda Chalker Scott by phone about 7 years ago after reading her Horticultural myths website... Looks like she has added a lot of new articles since I have been on there...

Thanks for reminding me about that website Carol!

• 8 years ago

Am not familiar with Linda Chalker Scott but I totally agree that landscape fabric is a bad product. Removed all of it that a previous homeowner installed. Soil under was hard, dry with no worms. So much better after years of compost and no fabric.

• 8 years ago

Thank you for this. I'm reading up on all the "myths" and I'm learning quite a bit. I'm glad not all of them are debunked, ex. limited use of coffee grounds (not too thick). The used grounds are free at Starbucks and I think they dilute and make composted manure smell so much better. The milk one was interesting too. But I will stop wasting money on vitamin B-1 and I will definitely buy wood chips this season, not bark. Lysol or alcohol to disinfect pruners is a good tip. Great info on stuff I've been wondering about :-)

• 8 years ago

I've got to check out that website!

Carol

• 8 years ago

She is also part of a Face Page that addresses garden myths that you might find interesting https://www.facebook.com/groups/GardenProfessors/ and they also have a blog http://blogs.extension.org/gardenprofessors/

• 8 years ago

Not to be contrary Nichols but I am a strong proponent for landscape fabric. Without it I would spend 99% of my energy and time picking weeds out of the ground. I have a steroid addicted crabgrass that knows no bounds. Since I've been using the commercial grade fabric I have managed to keep the weeds at bay. Yes, water does not permeate the soil, but that aides in controlling the weeds. My roses still get water from the hole I cut at the base of the roses.

Thanks wirosarian! I'm going to check these videos out.

• 8 years ago

Kublakan - good for you! :) I'm glad you've found such a good solution!

Carol

• 8 years ago

Landscape fabric failed here also (lots of curse words...lol)... But like anything in life some things fail for some people but work well for others...

So I'm glad landscape fabric works well for you kublakan! I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it... :-)

• 8 years ago

Well said, Ingrid!

Carol

• 8 years ago

Yep well said Ingrid!

• 8 years ago

Where's Embothrium when one needs him? lol

• 8 years ago

Wow, Somebody's using the wrong kind of landscape fabric! I don't put it around my plants, but I use it in the walkways in between beds and put gravel over it. Water most definitely does penetrate and when I have ever had to pull any of it up, there's plenty of worms in the soil. It deters weeds (altho not all of them) and breathes and allows water to go thru. The kind I use is a woven fabric with fuzz on the side that you place downward. It's made by a company called DeWitt, and the product is called Pro 5 Weed Barrier. The Ace Hardware store where I worked for over 25yrs carries it by the foot. They sell "tons" of it in 4 different widths. It's not a regular-stock item that they get from the warehouse,tho. They have to drop ship from the manufacturer. Some nurseries carry it too. Anybody who needs to use landscape fabric, look into it. It's a good bit more expensive than the perforated plastic stuff sold in rolled packages, but is far superior to anything else.

• 8 years ago

Ace does have a much nicer fabric I agree ...

Right now I'm using a cheaper Dollar Store brand woven landscape fabric and its even doubled and look still plenty of weeds...

I applied it outside the fence so I would not have to keep taking fence down to pull weeds...lol...

I may buy the better Ace brand this Spring and double it & replace the Dollar Store stuff...

I will not put any landscape fabric anywhere near plants because I've had roots grow into the fabric which has caused me lots of grief...

• 8 years ago

May I politely say that I disagree with several things that were discussed and said to be myths. As for myself I much prefer too research university sites for my information. I tend too take any one persons advice with a grain while waiting for definitive proof. Much which was written is still being highly debated and further studies are needed.

• 8 years ago

Linda Chalker Scott mainly goes by science based information like Master Gardeners do... (Washington State University)

In a nut-shell if something works or doesn't work for us I really could care less if science based info or any other source supports it or not...lol..I keep doing what works and quit doing what doesn't... And I'm happy for others when things work whether it worked for me or not... :-)

• 8 years ago

Not everything she talks about has been tried on roses, and cucumbers or peppers just may react differently. I like how she writes and it does seem that everything she says is based on actual research, but she says herself that more and longer studies are needed. Then we have the vagaries of climate, water availability, type of soil, etc. so there is room to do things differently and still have them work. Thank goodness, because otherwise I'd be growing things that might actually be quite nice but wouldn't make my heart soar. I do grow many companion plants that I like but the stars of the garden are still the roses, and probably always will be.

• 8 years ago

Here's something I'm learning about using coffee grounds -- a thin sprinkle disappears into the ground relatively quickly, an inch or two may form a crust at the surface when it's hot and dry, but more than two inches and the crust cracks and lets water and air through quickly. Have you ever seen the video of the new "water-absorbing" concrete pavement? That's what it looks like when I water with the hose over a thick layer of cracked-crust coffee grounds in Summer -- water goes straight down without even puddling.

Whenever I read online articles or studies about using coffee grounds in the garden, they go as far as saying "apply thinly" because they must have observed the crust forming at the 1-2" mark. But I think it's odd that others didn't think to see what happens when they then add even more.

Periodically, I dig back the layer of grounds I put down to see what's going on beneath the surface. It's teeming with life -- earthworms, especially, but also mycorrhizae. At this time of year, squirrels are also digging in it to bury their Winter caches. Of course, YMMV, but putting it down thickly is working for me here.

:-)

~Christopher

• 8 years ago

Christopher - Yes, I think that coffee grounds are wonderful - the worms just love it!! I'm glad you shared your experience with us.