Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Is one love roses/ chamblees sending plants now ?

I ask because of the debacle they had last summer .. i wonder how did it turn out for those waiting on their orders ? did you get your roses ? how did they look ? wondering if i should give them another try . i ended up getting refunded after months of ” we marked you priority and theyll go out next week ” . but they never did .

Comments (37)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

I’m so interested to see what people say but I don’t think I would ever feel safe purchasing from them

• marascz9b
    3 months ago

Also curious! I was originally going to order in the summer/fall but after hearing about the difficulty they had fulfilling orders, ended up deciding not to. They have a good selection on their website but I think their prices have gone up since I first looked.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    3 months ago

They have several I want to order. I live near Tyler and went to the original Chamblees all the time - hated to see them move to the DFW area and I would drive there but last I heard, they didnt sell to walk in customers. Hoping they have their act together - would love to get some of their Jalbert varieties.

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    3 months ago

I might be an unwitting test subject on this one and so far, it doesn’t look promising. I ordered last winter and of course never received my order.

They said that because of my payment method, they were not able to issue a refund but would givd me a credit plus an additional % for my troubles.

I crossed my fingers and placed an order for spring.

That was back in the fall right after they dropped all the new Jalbert roses. They were being pretty responsive and apologetic at that point so I was cautiously optimistic they’d gitten themselves sorted.

Now, I never would have paid the shipping costs if not for needing to use my credit so my days of ordering from them are over now, but here is the kicker… when I logged on earlier this month to remind myself what I ordered, I could not see any record of thr order associated with my account.

I had taken a screen shot of the order and stored it in my notes app on my phone, but that is the only record of the order so I will be reaching out again soon to fund out where things stand.

I am not optimistic.

• Carlos Rodriguez
    3 months ago

Reviews at BBB and Yelp have bad reviews. Order only what you might lose.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 months ago

I wouldn't order from them until you see consistent good legit reviews for at least a year. Its just too risky in my opinion.

3 months ago

The website is not taking new orders now in any case.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I’m so disappointed in and for them , because they got that exclusive contract with select roses to introduce new ones we otherwise can’t get ( like the jalbert roses ). I wish it had went to a company that had better leadership . It’s really such a bummer. I don’t mind paying higher prices but expecting your plants in a timely manner isn’t unreasonable. I was really hoping to hear people say they did get their plants after all .

Is anyone on Facebook groups hearing otherwise ?

I followed them on Instagram and see they advertise the new roses but comments are off . Maybe a sign they don’t want people complaining on there .

markay , i do hope you get your order and the roses are beautiful for ypu !

3 months ago

Wonder if Brad Jalbert knows about this? I wouldnt think he would want his roses represented here in the US in such a slipshod manner.......

Original Author
    3 months ago

I thought about messaging them to ask if they had aby other vendors lined up , or if they were aware of the problems being had . i feel like they maybe set the deal with the previous owners ? thats my best guess

• Sharon z8b Texas
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I had the opportunity to meet the new owners in person and I believe they are good people, albeit not the most tech savvy and not the most financial document savvy. But they know roses inside and out!!! They have had a string of bad luck that you could make a movie about. I think the huge fiasco is due to the combination of those and not because of any ill intention. If you have the chance to meet them, they are both very sweet individuals that genuinely want to make their customers happy and to provide high-quality roses.

Rose orders should begin to ship in April. Do not hesitate to contact them directly via email or Facebook messenger. They are very under-staffed and extremely busy because of that (also it's Spring, which is always extremely busy for the nursery industry), please be patient.

I think their biggest challenge is their website does not allow for choosing your ship date, like the Heirloom Roses website. This means all the orders that come in are for early April shipping and they don't have the staff needed to ship thousands of orders in one week. They are still dealing with the financial fallout from last year. They told me timely shipping is a pain point they hope to resolve and is their top priority.

FWIW, I am very happy with the plants I bought from them. I bought from them both for delivery and for pick up at their partner farm, One Love Rose and Gardens, in Dallas.

I also placed a custom propagation order last year through One Love Rose and Gardens. TANgust was ready very quickly, which I went to pick up in person. This is when I met the Chamblee's owners. TANgust looks great and is very healthy. I am as happy as can be. The second rose from my custom propagation order is not ready yet, but I have no doubt that I will get my rose when they think it's ready.

If you live within driving distance, I recommend going there in person. They have a lot of Jalbert's roses that you can see in person. But be ready to go home with more roses than you plan. They have so many wonderful roses there! I went there to pick up two roses and came back home with 5.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Obviously they've had problems. I don't understand exactly and hope they get some help with their website and whatever else. I find Raul to be a good person who is passionate about roses and is always learning. He is a hard worker who started with a landscape maintenance company...that is hard work. He stays extremely busy. I can not believe that there were any bad intentions. I think it's unlikely that someone with bad intentions would spend a lot of money buying a reputable business. A scam artist would probably set up a website and take people's money without investing much money at all. I don't believe that the problems they've had are a scam. I hope they fix the problems. They have the potential to overcome them. They have skills and many great roses and I think they ( Raul and Cole) have good will.

• Sharon z8b Texas
    3 months ago

Something I learned both from talking to Chamblee's owners AND from Nate's newsletters (Nate of Garden Roses LLC): when a customer submits a credit card/PayPal dispute, the seller is automatically charged a $30 dispute fee, and most of the time those fees are non-refundable, even when the bank sides with the seller. It is these fees that Chamblee's has not yet recovered from.

I recommend that if you have an issue with a seller, any seller, but especially small businesses, whether you want to cancel an order or whatever the reason, contact the seller first and see if you can work things out. It is in the best interest of the seller to make you happy and most sellers do want to make you happy anyway. Contact them directly via email, don't rely on Facebook comments. If Nate was on here, I am sure he could explain this much better than I can.

I buy a lot, if not most, of my plants (roses and all other plants, bulbs, and seeds) from small businesses. I find they care much more about their customers than some of the big companies (I'm pointing at you, David Austin Roses!). Good customer service is what keeps me coming back to a seller, but just one bad customer service experience and I never do business with them again.

• Sharon z8b Texas
    3 months ago

Somewhat off topic, when I was there I saw Brad Jalbert's William P.J. McCarthy and Angel's Delight.

William P.J. McCarthy was covered in flowers, healthy, great compact, branching growth habit. They told me it has not been without blooms all year - and we are in Texas with one of the hottest summers ever, so that's saying something! I pre-ordered one. This one is a must-have in my book.

Angel's Delight: if you like the colors of Abraham Darby, you may like this one. This is a flower from a young Angel's Delight plant (after being beaten up some and out of water for hours).

I am sorry I did not get a photo of William P.J. McCarthy. They had it as a centerpiece near the entry.

You can buy these through their partner One Love Farms, but if you are not ok with receiving your order late as they are dealing with staffing issues, you may want to wait until Chamblee's implement a shipping calendar on their website.

https://www.oneloveroseandgardens.com/jalbert-roses

• Jadae
    3 months ago

" I recommend that if you have an issue with a seller, any seller, but especially small businesses, whether you want to cancel an order or whatever the reason, contact the seller first and see if you can work things out. "

I actually did that. About 10 attempts, and 2 calls with nothing but lies. Over the span of TWO MONTHS.

Make some clicks, and issue a refund. If an e-business cannot do that, they need to look at a calendar. It's 2024. They're in e-business. Don't waste our time. It's extremely disrespectful.

In the end, my bank found them liable.

Regardless of the scenario, they lied to me several times over the phone. I will never bother with them again.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Very sorry to hear that!

Original Author
    2 months ago

Well I was really hoping someone would come on and say they did get their roses after all .. I do want to try these jalberts so maybe a second chance is in order . I would much rather pick up in person if possible but hey Texas is a little far 😂.

I also emailed , and called and waited months for replies and was promised they’d be marked urgent but they didn’t ever make it to me . I promise I was patient and not hot headed clicking the dispute button . But once I stopped getting replies it seemed like they didn’t care so I got a refund . I don’t feel bad about that , bc I did my part in trying . But I hope this spring we see beautiful deliveries coming in and they can be trusted again !

Sharon the pics are lovely ! That was one of the roses I was hoping to get .

• Sharon z8b Texas
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Jadae and Lilyfinch, I, too, am sorry you both had that experience.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

It all reminds me of the last days of For Love Of Roses. Im not sure how much money I spent for roses that never came. Too bad because the ones that I did get were grest roses

• susan9santabarbara
    2 months ago

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Jadae
    2 months ago

Yeah, I don't feel bad either. The entire arc was over 6 months. I had actually forgotten about the order. Then, it clicked: "Where is my invoice?" No invoice, but my bank says I paid. So I began the calls, and more calls, and then finally empty promises. Then more empty calls. Then more empty promises. So, after quite a long time, I left it up to my bank. Roses are part of out subculture, but they're not THAT important. And, yeah, I was also decent. Honestly, too decent.

• Carlos Rodriguez
    2 months ago

I hear if you are near them, you get roses. If they need to ship, it is hit or miss if you get. I can wait for the same roses from All My Thyme or Regan and not have to worry if they will not ship to me.

2 months ago

I have a shipping date (4-22) and have been assured that everything is growing beautifully and is on track to ship on schedule. 🤞🏻

Now my next problem will be where to plsnt them all. That part has been a bit of an abstraction up til now.

If all goes well I will have several new Jalberts including William P.J. McCarthy so I am excited to hear good things about it from Sharon!

Also ordered Dylan Rose, Double Ambre, Tangleback Legacy, and Anglia Love.

I also have Our Anniversary coming from Palentine. Gonna see how Jalberts handle the black spot pressure compared to Kordes.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

The Dylan I got from Palatine last year was great! I think you will be really happy with tht one

• Dave5bWY
    2 months ago

You’ll have to update us this spring when things arrive, Markay. Hopefully they have things worked out now but I know I’ll never order from them again. I had placed two orders with them last year and I never received the orders. I tried communicating with them via phone, email, and Messenger but never received a response. What made so upset is that while they were unable to fill orders or communicate with their customers, they never stopped taking orders on their website but instead continued to run specials through late summer and fall. Were the owners that disconnected from their business?!? I’m sure the new owners are nice but they’ve lost my business and many others, I’m sure.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    2 months ago

I have never ordered from Chamblee's before, but I am getting a very bad first impression as I am attempting to make my first purchase.

I was thrilled that they offer Jalbert roses, and I put three in my online cart, but their website will not process my credit card. I keep getting an error message. I have called, emailed, and texted...but no response.

I just stumbled upon this thread, and now I'm thinking I may have dodged a bullet by the order not going through.

Can anyone recommend another source for Jalbert roses?

2 months ago

Rosylady, All My Thyme has some Jalbert Roses!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    2 months ago

Thank you Markay!

In an ironic update, Chamblee's sends me multiple emails a day telling me that I've left something in my cart, and that if I complete my purchase I can get a discount....but I am not able to complete my purchase because their website doesn't work AND THEY DO NOT RETURN PHONE CALLS, EMAILS, OR TEXTS!

• susan9santabarbara
    2 months ago

At least you discovered the no replies to phone, email, or text BEFORE you ordered. Most folks only discovered that after ordering and their roses never arrived. You've been warned :-D

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    2 months ago

Oh my goodness Feiy, that is incredible news!!! So great to hear from Brad himself! I'm really looking forward to seeing Heirloom's future Jalbert offerings.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

I am so excited!! I love Jalbert roses and offering them at a reputable sellar like Heirloom is exciting.

Our Anniversary, thank you Brad

2 months ago

Wonderful news!! I love Brad's roses and thrilled more will be available in the US! Such a shame about Chamblees - it was my favorite rose nursery and I spent many happy hours wandering around the nursery and loading up my truck. Their sale area had some of the best bargains! Mark was knowledgable and so nice.......When they were selling out - I was able to buy the lovely wrought iron gate that was inside going to the office.......nice memory.......Looking forward to the new Brad roses at Heirloom!

Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes this is sooo exciting !! im so glad to hear this . looks like ill need another garden bed !!!

• Nola z5aWI
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

This was my experience with One Love/ Chamblees. I ordered 2 roses (Eden and Souvinir de la Malmaison) on 3-1-22 and received both on 6-12-23. I ordered 3 roses (Bolero, Earth Angel, Good as Gold) on 9-15-22, they arrived 11-2-22. They had terrible luck when starting their business with a tornado, covid, and a car accident, plus a terribly hot summer. They explained this to me, and i told them to send when they can and that them getting healthy was more important. the plants were healthy and are growing fine. i keep them potted till they’re of size to plant in z5a. They are both very knowledgeable and kind, i’ve seen them offer solid advice, helping people on the forums. I believe they are trying to get on track, I will order from them again.

Original Author
    29 days ago

Bumping this up and hoping this april people respond wirh pics of beautiful roses they got !! my fingers are crossed chambless is making a comeback . ☺️

28 days ago

My shipping date is scheduled for 4/22.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County