Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanessa_martocchio

Hubby bought a new weed whacker and chopped down my coneflowers

So I planted 'Pow Wow' coneflower last spring..it hadn't flowered yet because it was still too early in the season...well my hubby bought himself a new toy and went crazy in my yard chopping everything green that was over 3" in height lol..including my coneflowers!! So my question is is there any chance they survived and will sprout this year at all?

Comments (11)

• 8 years ago

Well, you sound pretty good natured about the weed wacker incident. Like, mxk3 said, if they were well-rooted they should be fine. If not, make your hubby take you plant shopping for new coneflowers.

• 8 years ago

They def were not well rooted as I planted then about 2 weeks prior lol..it's ok I've already spent $500 on new p,ants this spring anyway so I guess he's made up for the coneflowers lol ;)

• 8 years ago

I live adjacent to a golf course and volunteer to help plant and maintain some flower beds. I have some Black Eyed Susans planted under the "Cart Path Only" sign at the course entrance. One day I noticed a new employee with a weed whacker at the course, so I went into my garage and got some of those flags - you know when you Call Before You Dig and they put plastic flags on wire stems in your yard? I used a magic marker to write in big letters on two red flags: FLOWERS. And stuck them in the middle of the Black Eyed Susans. They didn't get whacked. :)

• 8 years ago

Wow, take that thing away from him until he learns how to use it somewhere else........

• 8 years ago

I'm sorry but I just had to laugh when I read your subject heading........men and their toys!! Reminds me of a former nursery owner I used to work with who got a new weed torch. You can just imagine what happened with that item in hand and it was a bit more than just weeds that got torched!!

You do seem to have a great attitude about the damage however.......I sure hope he appreciates that. I doubt I would be so nonchalant :-)

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mine got far enough under a picket fence with a new gas weedeater one time that he cut off a blooming clematis at 2" from the ground. I wasn't nearly as composed as you - my reaction must have been memorable because he's never done it (or similar) again ;-)

• 8 years ago

I've learned to mark things I don't want mowed after DH mowed down an unusual Magnolia I had been slowly raising from a cutting. (He felt so bad about it I didn't have the heart to be annoyed.) On shrubs along the edge of the woods I now use flagging tape and in beds I put an edging so it's clear where he can mow and where it's my space.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I feel you! That's why I do almost all the yardwork here. Hubby's excuse? "I didn't see it" & then he gets angry @ me....

• 8 years ago

Glad to know I'm not alone!! I have taken over all the yard work, he has plenty to do inside anyway seeing we are remodeling the bathroom and kitchen this year aye aye aye...but at least I can enjoy my beautiful plantings and such while doing my work..him on the other hand..lol...Babs I had posted a question in shrubs earlier that you may be able to give some insight on because I've read a few of your responses to others with similar questions..it is about possible screening ideas, and I posted pics..so if you have a second to take a look and possibly give some tips, or ideas I'd greatly appreciate it you always have great suggestions..and if any other posters here want to take a look feel free as well :)

• 8 years ago

I really can't blame him. I too went crazy over my new weed trimmer and cut off some perennials. And i have done it not a few times due in part to my zeal to get the weeds gone.