Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Lates are taking center stage now

7 years ago

Almost all my early ones have stopped blooming now, and the lates are taking the stage.

August Cheer with an ffo - This late has a tulip shaped bloom. It's not very vigorous though, and has never developed many buds.

El Desperado is starting its parade of blooms.

Maui Sunrise ffo - Thanks for the trade Julia!

Cool Hand Luke with a nice foursome

Allegheny Skyline duo

Francis of Assisi

Late white seedling: Dust Be Diamonds X Tuxedo Junction

"Laughing Hyena" x Back Scratcher showing a few more teeth today

Pinks in the seedling bed

Debra

Comments (21)

• 7 years ago

Nice lates, Debra! Sorry to hear August Cheer hasn't been a good grower. I was thinking about adding it. I like Allegheny Skyline, and the second seedling is so lovely. I like your white seedling, it looks really white, not cream.

Sherry

• 7 years ago

Thanks Sherry! I moved August Cheer last year and was hoping for better results but so far, no improvement. The near white seedling has some pink undertones. This photo doesn't capture it very well, but it does have a wire gold edge with a few gold teeth.

Debra

• 7 years ago

Wow--so many nice ones! Hard to choose a favorite, but Maui Sunrise is always great to see!

• 7 years ago

Thought I recognized the name August Cheer--a Goldner I nearly bought last year, loved the look of it and I still do--sorry to hear it is not doing well. My favs must be Allegheny Skyline and your seedlings. BYW, speaking of seedlings, I made the cross of Twirling Parasol with Lillian's Thin Ice. I did three, all failures, BUT the one I did with Twirling Parasol as pollen parent to Forsyth Flaming Snow has produced a pod.

• 7 years ago

Avedon - Too bad those crosses with Lillian's Thin Ice didn't take. I hope the one with Forsyth Flaming Snow matures.

• 7 years ago

Maui Sunrise is gorgeous! I like all of your seedlings too.

• 7 years ago

Debra, when I did the cross of FFSnow and T.Parasol, I think I had the picture of your Ruby Lipstick in mind. Wouldn't it be great to see T.Parasol with hot pink edges!! I might name it Ruby Dipstick. LOL.

• 7 years ago

The Laughing Hyena seedling is really showing pizzazz today.

• 7 years ago

Nice group of blooms! My favorites are El Desperado, Maui Sunrise, and your seedlings.

Lori

• 7 years ago

Avedon - Ruby Dipstick! So funny!

Mantis - Thanks for the seedling pizzazz comment!

Brad, Laura and Lori - I didn't think that was particularly good bloom on Maui Sunrise. We got a lot of rain yesterday, so the next blooms should be more colorful.

Debra

• 7 years ago

Catching up on the posts. I'm still in love with Allegheny Skyline. I agree your seedling of Laughing Hyena x Back Scratcher does have the special something :). Cool Hand Luke I need to go look that one up. El Desperado clump looks amazing. I had it here but I think they gave me a 'tissue culture' as it never was opening properly here. Maui Sunrise in your garden is much lighter than what blooms here but our temps are typically less intense that you get. However this year, it may be quite similar. Time will tell. Great group of photos.

• 7 years ago

Julia - Yes Maui Sunrise is lighter because of so many days baking in the high 90s. I'll send you a message about Allegheny Skyline.

• 7 years ago

wow!!August Cheer is so pretty. may not have meny buds,but, its so pretty.El Desperado is so pretty. mine bloomed out a long time ago,and i loved every bloom on it.Laughing Hyena seedling is a beauty.and I love the pinks in the seedling bed.

• 7 years ago

Thanks Jean! Since this has been a weird season, maybe August Cheer will improve next year.

• 7 years ago

Maui Sunrise is right up my alley and the pink seedling that looks like TFVS grabs me as usual. If Maui Sunrise's color gets more vivid I hope you post more pictures and tell how colorfast/sunfast it is....Oh and Cool Hand Luke is another one I like of this batch. Nice form and color. Is it more mauve or pink in person?.......Maryl

• 7 years ago

Maryl - Cool Hand Luke is that illusive lilac color - a blend of lavender and pink. It looks lavender in the shade and pink in the sun.

• 7 years ago

The white seedling is particularly lovely! I'd definitely keep that one <3 And the last pinks...the darker on the left is wondrous.

Shame that 'August Cheer' is sulking for you.

Cheers!

~Anika

• 7 years ago

Anika - Thanks for you comment about the seedlings! Those two are indeed keepers and ones that I'll register some year when I can nail down the stats. Lots of low bud counts here this year, and 90 percent of plants not performing well.

Debra

• 7 years ago

Edward - Thanks for the gorgeous peonies! I love that color. Looking forward to seeing your daylily photos when mine are finished blooming.

Debra

• 7 years ago

Great photos, your seedlings are still my favorites. August Cheer is right up there, but a shame it isn't doing well for you. It would be a lovely late to have. El Desperado isn't doing as well here as yours, plenty of blooms, but they are really small.

Beautiful bright peony Edward!