Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hitenjrawal

Anyone done 8 ft doors with 9 ft ceilings?

7 years ago

Hi - I'm thinking of adding 8 ft height doors, in at least the exterior, on the ground floor of the home I'm building that has 9 ft ceiling on the ground floor. Has anyone done the same and if so do you mind posting some photos please?

Comments (11)

• 7 years ago

I did it, but my pics are on a cd, who knows where. If you are wondering how it will look, just check the drawing. They do look good in a more modern house, with higher ceilings.

hitenjrawal thanked scone911
  • 7 years ago

Are you able to take some photos of the doors in your house and send to me by any chance? Do you have 9' ceilings? If so did you do crown moulding? Thanks for replying!

• 7 years ago

Can't, sorry, I live on the other side of the country now. I did have 9' ceilings.

If you are worried about how it will look IRL, do a mockup. Get a large roll of butcher paper (the brown stuff), and tape it to a wall. You can do it outside if you can't find a workshop or some other high space. Then draw the doors, a window, base, and crown.

Better still is to have a carpenter do a mockup, with the real millwork, on a sample wall. The wall does not have to be more than a few feet wide. I would only do this in an expensive house, obviously. In fact, if you are getting this fancy, you probably should have a designer, and that person can supervise the mockup. IMO this is the only way for a layman to get a good idea of how the elements will relate in reality.

My design was a "modernized" version of a colonial house, almost Shaker, with flat stock mouldings and a flat crown. That's probably not what you are thinking about, so it would not help you. Good luck.

hitenjrawal thanked scone911
  • 7 years ago

We have 8' doors with 10' ceilings, so I don't have personal experience, but I have read on here before that many are pleased with the proportion of 7' doors with 9' ceilings. Not sure if 7' doors are standard or an up charge, but it makes sense.

hitenjrawal thanked nini804
  • 7 years ago

I think going from a standard height door to 8' high in a room that is only 1' taller than standard is really pushing the proportions, especially if you have any significant trim width and/or crown molding. I have a modern house where many of the ceilings are more than 9' and I prefer the look of standard height doors. It makes the rooms look bigger and airier, whereas going with taller doors would have detracted, in my opinion. In addition, there's the added cost of those special sized doors, and that can really add up. Use the money to splurge on something else in your build.

hitenjrawal thanked kudzu9
  • 7 years ago

It is also close to impossible to tell without seeing the relationship between the doors, windows and the elevations. Lot layout, siding, roof type and height all affect the way the house looks.

hitenjrawal thanked millworkman
  • 7 years ago

We are under construction, but our front door is 8 feet with 9 feet ceilings. Rest of the doors are standard. It doesn't look off, but nearest Windows which have transoms to reach same height. The 9 feet ceiling opens up pretty quickly to a stairwell and great room. Unfortunately I don't have any interior pics of it. I can grab some next time I'm there, but it is very much just a frame right now so not sure how helpful it will be.

hitenjrawal thanked BuildinginTN
  • 7 years ago

BuildinginTN-

Treating the front door as special and the interior doors as standard sounds like a pleasing and reasonable approach.

hitenjrawal thanked kudzu9
  • 7 years ago

Hi. We're currently in the same dilemma. Our house was planned to have 9' ceilings and a 42 x 6'8" (80") front door. Our builder has just told us this is no longer an option and can do 42 x 8'. I just wondered if you did the 8' front door and how it looks? Do you have any photos by any chance? Thanks.

• 7 years ago

We did. I can see if I can find some photos. We have a very tall gabled entrance and the standard door looked off.