Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Chairs for Stickley mission oak dining table

7 years ago

Looking for regular dining chairs for our dining room table -- what a concept! After a few years of treating the space as more of a library, we have decided we really need it to function more as a dining room.

Here is a not-great pic of the room a while back. We will put one leaf in the table so it's oval. Most of the time we'll only have 4 chairs here, but we will add 1-2 at times.

The love seat (which has turned out to be lousy quality) and the random green chair will go, and the bar cabinet in the corner will move to another wall in the same room.

I don't want Stickley chairs. I want coordinating but not matching. I have found that Room and Board walnut wood furniture mixes well with this Stickley oak finish, which we also have in another room. So, so far I am liking this chair, though I haven't sat in it yet.

I sat in a similar sized chair (2" narrower) in another store and liked the scale and comfort of it, but wasn't totally thrilled about the color of the upholstery or the leg finish. Of course, the R&B chair is 3x the price of the one below.

Thoughts? Other chairs you have seen that might work?

PS Wall color, rug, window treatments -- all staying as is! Also, the fabric on the top chair is changeable -- they have lots of options. The fabric on the second chair is the only one available.

Comments (30)

• 7 years ago

First, I'm disappointed because I just love that room. It is gorgeous but it looks like it just fell together. It is whatever the opposite of contrived is.

OTOH, I get it. And I vote for chair one. Love the MadMen feel of it. The second chair does not do your room justice.

• 7 years ago

I echo what Mtn said about your room. I loved the concept of it as a place to relax with plenty of room for reading materials, a beverage...

It's too bad about the loveseat being a diappointment. Of the 2 chairs you posted I prefer the first, but I am not over the moon for it. I do like your idea of having coordinating chairs instead of matching.

• 7 years ago

Thanks...TBH, I am pretty much the only person who uses this room as it is now. And DD takes over the kitchen table (which is small) with her homework and I'm getting tired of shuffling her stuff around so we can eat. There are other reasons, and one of them (not a big priority but still) is that we will probably move in 3-4 years and I think it will be better if the dining room is actually set up like a normal dining room. We have 3-4 comfy seating areas in our house besides the dining room, so I feel like we need dining space more than we need the hang-out-and-read space.

• 7 years ago

I like this chair also from R&B, and maybe I'd use the bench on one side.

It is available in different fabrics and leg finishes.

• 7 years ago

I like the one you posted above. While the superior quality of the first one is not lost on me, my first impression was "waiting room" chair. The one above with the bench, while streamlined & clean, gives a softer vibe which seems to fit better with your room.

• 7 years ago

Hi, Sueb20

I like the simplicity of the first chair. The last chair and the matching bench look too "kitcheny" to me. I was picturing in my head something like this chair to go with your gorgeous Stickley table:

Four Hands Florence Dining Chair, Hyde Clay · More Info

• 7 years ago

I, too, love your room as is....sorry to see it go!

One of the things that strikes me about all the choices is that the backs are very straight across (I don't mean at the top, but where your back hits the cushion). With a round or oval table, I really think you need a curve to kind of hug the curves of the table (I also think they are more comfy) like the one zsmith shows above. I think the more linear backs play better with a square or rectangular table.

• 7 years ago

I love the curvy, Regency (?) lines of the chairs zmith suggested. That is a beautiful room indeed sueb. It will be stunning as a dining room, no doubt. Mind you I have seen dining room/library combinations be very successful.

• 7 years ago

Oly, I had exactly the same thought, but haven't found a more curved chair that is the right size or style. I like the chairs zsmith showed, but they're a bit too big, I think. Hard to explain, but the design of the pedestal makes it so the wider chairs can't be pushed in enough.

Unfortunately, the room just isn't big enough to be BOTH dining room and library! Maybe in the next house!

• 7 years ago

I like the idea of maybe a curved banquet bench under the double window and two comfy dining chairs that make you want to linger and than the room can maintain its library vibe and function as an eating space too. Or how about four leather wingback chairs tall enough to comfortably sit at the dining table. Still libraryesque.

I have a round table surrounded by two wing backs in my sunroom where I often play chess or my hubby and I sit at for a light late dinner after the kids are in bed.

love that room color!

• 7 years ago

Roarah, nice idea but the room is too small for that. You can't see but there is really only about 4' from the edge of the table to the wall and it's a traffic path.

• 7 years ago

These chairs are not as cushy but they are rounded.

Maybe with the bench on one side of the table?

• 7 years ago

The last chair you showed made me think a Klismos would look really fab- more pronounced curves all around.

• 7 years ago

Have you measured the table extended vs the bench length? Do you think the straightest part of the oval would be long enough to accommodate the bench without the ends being too far from the table (when the table curves in)? I like the scale of those last chairs.

• 7 years ago

I'm going to look at this today at a store nearby. I'm starting to come around to the idea that the chairs don't have to be totally upholstered....the only issue with this one is that it comes only in cherry, so it will depend on whether one of the stains will make it work with my oak table. A lot of chairs in this style are too wide, but the side of this one would work well.

• 7 years ago

I personally like the chairs were only the seat is covered because in a year or two when I want to change things up I can go to the store, buy new fabric and put on new covers. You cannot do that with the chairs that are fully upholstered, they need to be professionally upholstered.

• 7 years ago

Great point!

• 7 years ago

I don't think you need a rounded chair with an oval table. I think you do with a round table. I wonder if people have missed the point that you are adding a leaf?

Also, in a small room, where the table and chairs dominate, I prefer more upholstery to less otherwise it looks like a pile of wood.

• 7 years ago

Pile of wood. LOL. Well, I did go look at that last chair and none of the stains work well with my table, so that's out. I looked at this one and liked it, but not sure if I am in love with it? It is good quality, and it does come in a stain that works with my table.

I also received sample cards of wood finishes from Room and Board in today's mail, and I am not sure how accurate their paper pics of wood are, but one of them does look good with my table. There were also a few fabric samples I liked a lot. I think I need to go to R&B and look at their wood samples in person, and sit in a few chairs. I still really like the look of the very first chair that I posted.

Today, probably to DH's dismay, I am going to put the leaf in the table and noodle around with some chairs we have around the house to test them just in terms of scale/size. I think DH will probably also be really excited when I propose that we move the bookcases this weekend.

• 7 years ago

Had to add, due to my OCD...this is my table and the chair I am currently liking.

• 7 years ago

I had a very similar situation as you as far as space and function. I ended up purchasing chairs from a resale shop then having them reupholstered. It seens it was the only way to achieve the quality and space saving seating I needed. Your room and furniture are gorgeous. It will look stunning whatever you decide.

• 7 years ago

Sueb20, I like the latest chair you've posted. Are you going with the upholstery as shown? It seems to go very well with the table. They also seem to be a smaller scale chair than the ones I suggested. I do like the curved chairs you posted better than my suggested chairs, too. Too bad the stains didn't work for you.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sue, I also like the latest chair, both for looks and comfort. I need something for my lower back. The chair from Friday 2:13 makes me hurt looking at it. Also the latest chair has a version with arms!

ETA: I meant the Saturday 11:11 chair, with the curved V in back.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks all. Still haven't had a chance to see that R&B chair in person. We live about 5 miles from the Boston store, but oddly enough our best chance to see it any time soon is this weekend...in NYC...because (I swear this is just coincidence) our hotel is only a few blocks from the store there! And DH will be forced to go with me. (He hates to shop for furniture.) I just want us both to sit in the chair and see what we think.

One benefit to the more upholstered chairs is that, if the wood isn't a great match, it's less obvious if the only wood showing is the legs!

• 7 years ago

I really like the ones with only an upholstered seat, particularly with kiddos. Unfortunately the completely upholstered ones like the last one pictured are exactly like the chairs we have in our offices where I work (as extra chairs and around conference tables) and the ones in my dentist's waiting room and at clinics, so I just can't get the 'office chair' look out of my head. As far as the 'pile of wood' goes, I think the open back of the ones you posted from the nearby store would look airier and make the room feel larger. It's such a beautiful room and table! Love the blue.

• 7 years ago

Forgot to mention I still have the one from crate and barrel on the way (from first set of pics, the beige chair) and I want to see that in the room before I go forward with the other option(s). It's probably the smallest fully upholstered option I've seen, and I thought it was comfortable when I sat in it in the store. Hopefully it will be here within the next week.

I'm about to take my daughter to the orthodontist and will pay special attention to the waiting room chairs. ;)

• 7 years ago

An excellent choice Sue. Looks so good, like it was meant to be!

• 7 years ago

I like the PB chair. It lets that gorgeous table be the star. Beautiful room!

• 2 months ago

I love these chairs with my Stickley pedestal table, and I think they would look good with your table also. I got them at Arhaus. They are extremely comfortable and they have just the right amount of curves to complement the round table.