Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10753397

Recliners & back issues - practicality & style

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We currently have a Laz-y-boy reclining loveseat (over 10 years old, still going strong), which is a "wall away" design - i.e. limited relining positions. I never recline flat on it, but use it every evening with the foot-rest up to ease my back pain. Hubby doesn't use it to recline, since he's taller and his legs dangle off the end! Being petite (5'2") I find that many brands of reclining furniture make my back feel worse, rather than better! From research I've done (and experience with two Laz-y-boy recliners we purchased/quickly resold), it would seem that the quality is not what it used to be. I am wondering if anyone has found a good solution to relieve back problems? We have tried out Ekornes Stressless chairs in a store. The Stressless chair & ottoman felt really comfortable for me, but of course my back wasn't hurting at the time I tested the chair! Our living-room is decorated in a traditional style, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy contemporary style furniture. The two major brands we're considering are the Laz-y-boy & the Ekornes Stressless, but I've also been checking the Dutchcrafters Amish furniture website for recliners. My physician told me I might find an individual recliner, rather than a reclining loveseat, more comfortable for my back issues. I'm not sure I want power reclining, but anything I would have to push down on hard with my hands or feet to recline is out of the question. Would really appreciate any feedback or experiences others have had, together with any brand suggestions other than those mentioned.

Comments (15)

• 7 years ago

Some "stressless" recliners come in different sizes for customers of various heights and weights. A matching pair in two different sizes could fit you both.

User thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

We just purchased two Elran recliners. We currently are working on our living room and dining room so we aren't using them on a daily basis but they seem very comfy when I read the paper sitting in one (they reside in my unfinished dining room!) They are very comfy and would work for your petite size. We got leather but I think they have fabric. For some reason I get an error message when I try to access their website www.Elran.com. Maybe it's down today. You could see them at www.pennymustard.com look under recliners, page 10.

User thanked CEM TOSA
  • 7 years ago

I should add that I'm looking for a brand that I'd be able to try out in-store. Has anyone invested in an Ekornes Stressless loveseat or sofa, with an ottoman? I know "zero gravity" chairs touted by back stores are supposed to be best for spinal conditioning. However, I don't want to be in that position for watching T.V. or reading! Getting up frequently to walk around seems to work well for my back muscles. My dilemma is being able to find the right ergonomic seating, without it being ultra-modern in design. I am getting to the point of not even caring about the style, as long as the seating eases my back condition!

• 7 years ago
    We have two Stressless chairs with ottomans and a Stressless couch that we've had for about 10 years and the are still fabulous, in great shape and very comfortable. It's just the two of us, no kids. We sit in them every day.
    User thanked ker9
  • 7 years ago

ker9, does your couch adjust to the individual person's body movement? Do you use an ottoman with the couch? I really need to have my legs raised to ease the back muscles in the evening. I'm torn between the potential comfort of the Stressless chair/ottoman combination (which has more modern looks), and the loveseat or sofa (which would blend better with our traditional style living-room)! Can you share which model you chose for both the couch & the chairs?

• 7 years ago

I found the stressless brand terribly uncomfortable. After many years of never wanting to look at let alone have a recliner I finally broke down and got a power recliner. I like the power ones because you can raise the foot area very little or a lot. Can't do that with the manual type. It's a Lexington. It's not the most expensive ones on the market but it has a traditional nail head design that I needed. Plus after I removed some of the fill from the head rest area it worked just fine. Look for ones that have zipper access to the filling so you can adjust as needed.

User thanked User
  • 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions thus far. Having used the current Laz-y-boy reclining loveseat for all these years, we've found it to be extremely durable. The individual Laz-y-boy reclining chairs we tried were neither durable, nor comfortable - which leads me to believe that either the standard of Laz-y-boy furniture has declined, or all models of any brand are not equal. (Probably a combination of the two). For our replacement furniture, I'm very leery about ordering without having sat on a floor model first - the correct support for my back is critical! The nearest larger city is a 3 hour round trip, and I'm sure does not stock any Elran or Lexington recliners, but I appreciate the suggestions!

• 7 years ago

I would be very leery also about ordering without trying. I personally wouldn't do it. It is hard when you don't live in an area of choices (as I also do). Good luck and something will eventually will be found.

• 7 years ago

Msokie, I'll have to look up the model tomorrow. I put my legs up on a pillow on the coffee table when on the couch but use the ottoman on the chair. The chair is easy to adjust with body pressure. Get a demo from a dealer. They hold up beautifully, very well crafted. We do not have specific back problems, but have had issues periodically and the chairs are wonderful. My son-in-law likes to sleep in it when they come to visit (he has sleep apnea and finds it super comfortable).

User thanked ker9
  • 7 years ago

ker9, that would be very helpful, if you have the model - I'm curious to know which ones you have found so comfortable!

• 7 years ago

If you like mid century an Eames lounge chair would be a perfect choice. I got one at home it`s super comfortable. You can adjust the ottoman for your height. Got it for $994 from manhattan home design. For the quality, it`s steal a deal

• PRO
    5 years ago

Yes recliner may help for back problem like lower back pain and upper back pain.

• 3 years ago

We purchased two beige leather recliners by Fjord. They were very similar to Ekhornes Stressless and much more reasonably priced, around $1000 each. They come in three sizes. We find them very comfortable. We also have a power love seat by Fjord in our den....same leather. They are in our FL home. Check out the brand online.

• 3 years ago

Try out fjord recliners and chairs. I had the same problem you did with lazy boy. I’ve never been so disappointed. You’re correct. They definitely don’t make them like they used to. I just got back from trying out the fjord Venice recliner and I’m sold! The lazy boy junk is going out the door!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County