Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_12248394

Covering outlet help

2 months ago

Hello, We had a tv stand here but it was massive, so we just removed it to make the room look bigger. I am wondering if anyone had any ideas to cover the outlets?

Comments (20)

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

What about installing a shelf roughly the same dimensions as the shelves that you already have? If you install it across the tops of the outlets (but not covering them), they will still be usable but not as noticeable.

• 2 months ago

Hey HU- ,

I actually thought about creating a hollow shelf with access from underneath to hide those plugs, however it is not my girlfriends first choice so hoping we can find something else we can agree on first before i revisit that route

• 2 months ago

Hang a nice big piece of artwork there

• 2 months ago

Buy receptacles/covers in a color that better match your wall, so they will be less obvious. DIY job if you have some basic electrical knowledge.

• 2 months ago

I would lower the TV to normal seated viewing height and as chispa said, get outlet/covers in the same color as your wall.

• 2 months ago

You can paint outlets with craft paint. Or you could get a quart of the actual wall paint. I would prime them first.

• 2 months ago

You can paint the outlet covers. Id put a big plant there. Like a peace lily.

• 2 months ago

A floating tv shelf would look nice.

• 2 months ago

Also too wide.

• PRO
    2 months ago

This is likely the best you can hope for but it's not really a good solution. This placement has been flawed from the get-go. Wall is not large enough to support the TV and too many, too thick shelves on the wall.

• 2 months ago

Thanks all. I raised the tv only about a foot above the tv stand, then when we moved the tv stand it looks taller. Its pivoted down, but as beverly showed above it would look even worse in the middle at “eye level”..

• 2 months ago

The easiest….maybe place your guitar there, but I think a bigger issue is the entire wall. If you are interested, I have some ideas.

The heavy shelves, the size of the tv/its wall/area underneath all feel awkward. If you add a small white wall mounted console, lower tv and accessorize the shelves, it will be more balanced. Imagine below but with your shelving configuration. Even consider painting the wall white and the heaviness of the shelves won’t be prominent. Take your time accessorizing and there is a lot of on line information regarding heights, groupings, etc

You could also go black, if willing to paint the shelves and the advantage is that the tv will become be less prominent and the wall won’t feel as broken up.

• 2 months ago

Beverly isn’t saying the TV will look worse at the correct level, she is saying its not on the right wall.

• 2 months ago

I can probably get to it in a week or so, but i will move the TV stand down. Also like Maureen’s idea with the console and decor. The decor on the shelves is me spamming random things from amazon, but my girlfriend is looking to change almost everything on the shelves. The picture in the design you sent looks very clean

• 2 months ago

Any console or assesory links appreciated Maureen

• 2 months ago

Measure the wall and search Pinterest for “white floating tv stand“ and you’ll see a lot more options vs just searching one company and comparing is easier. Not providing links as I don’t know the wall size and since I’m in Canada many are Canadian sites.

Regarding accessories… this article may help regarding placement.

https://thebeautyrevival.com/blog/fool-proof-method-for-decorating-your-shelves-home-decor-tips/

You may want to go on line to find ideas you both like. Again try Pinterest and search “floating shelves accessorizing”, for instance.

Buying on line is difficult if you don’t have an overall look in mind. I like HomeSense and Marshalls and look for things that resonate with you, test them at home and just return if need be. Here is an article around choosing items and take your time. https://thesommerhome.com/shelf-decor-ideas/

• 2 months ago

Good spot for a nice pouf ottoman maybe or a unique stool.

• last month
    last modified: last month

Why not just treat the entire wall as an accent wall and paint it all a dark contrasting color.

Painted accent walls work great behind a TV, the darker color helps disguise the TV and just two or three decor pieces on the shelf really pop and all you need there. ..although this shelving is full, the decor does not take up the wall. Paint the outlet covers to match the wall.

Domingo Road Great Room Project · More Info

• last month

It looks like you only have one true outlet, the others are possibly coax and phone? Check with your local code, but generally low voltage wires like these can be buried in the wall without removing the wires.

The one remaining electrical outlet may be moved to the side of the wall instead of the front or switched to the back side of the wall if that is in another room.