Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgd

How do I update a 1980s FL condo on a budget

2 months ago

I purchased a condo a couple of years ago in a 55 plus community to be

able to take care of my Mother who has alzheimers . All condos have same

concept , though condo is in good condition due to snowbirds it needs attention in

the kitchen and considering refacing since on a budget.

Not sure my furniture and decor is making place look its best. I do have to have certain

furniture to Moms condition like reclyners ,not my thing but its about her..

Your advice is highly appreciated and thank you in advance .

M

Comments (9)

• 2 months ago

If you want comments on cabinets or decor you need to send us photographs of the four walls of each room under consideration.

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Paint the walls. A pretty hue makes all the difference. If things are in good condition, it is not budget friendly to replace them.

The right wall color will make the wood cabs look decent as is. If the cabs are painted then just repaint them. Refacing is not cheap. You could swap out the handles and pulls.

For furniture use slipcovers and throw pillows that go with the new paint color.

Benjamin Moore Healing Aloe is perfect for your condo and goes with wood tones. Recommended here on Houzz. Just a touch of blue/green:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/1562/healing-aloe

• 2 months ago

without pix it's a tough call... Edit. you only need what you need. a fresh coat of paint and a new area rug can change things. Rearrange the furniture for a refresh.

• 2 months ago

Please post pics, if not on your post, put them down here as a comment.

• 2 months ago

How lovely and generous that you are taking care of your mom probably the most difficult time of both of your lives. There are ways to update kitchens that are inexpensive. There are some nice laminates for countertops that you could look into. Then you don’t have to worry aboutcost as much. I think if you come up with a budget, then you can possibly do things slowly as you have the funds.

• 2 months ago

Good daughter for caring for your mother! Alzheimer’s isn’t easy on her or you. Some pointers are that rearranging furniture may confuse her but remove pieces that reduce the walking path width or are too low to be in her line of vision when moving. Add or update lighting - bulbs not too high or too low on Kelvin scale - to accommodate declining vision. No all-gray or all-beige rooms, using contrasting pastel colors, furniture in different color than walls helps with lateral depth perception, contrasting color in surface levels (floors, table tops, counters) helps with horizontal depth perception. A digital picture frame (or thumb drive in TV usb port) on slide show loop of her photos can help recall fond memories. A chair by a window if she enjoys looking out, even if it’s not the “decorator’s right” place for it. Consider removing any items - unless it is personally meaningful to her - with a complicated pattern (jumble of colors, intricate geometric, etc) that might visually confuse her to the point she doesn’t comprehend what she sees. Horizontal stripes may make more sense to her than vertical stripes.

• 2 months ago

Please post pics so people can help you!

• PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I think she "heard" that. Four days ago: )