Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

DR rug still out there.....could this be it?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm still looking for a DR rug and saw this one on CL:

Here is a photo of my DR:

It doesn't show my current rug very well but I'm looking for one that will give me better contrast with my floors and more forgiving for eating, wine drips, etc.

This one has this label on the back which is very blurry so doesn't translate well when I tried to post a photo of it. The label came from Rugsource.com, which lists the origin as Azerbaijan. It also adds "made in Persia". If any of you know anything about persian rugs and if this looks like the real deal, please add your thoughts.

Comments (25)

• 7 years ago

That's a gorgeous rug. I don't know about quality and all that- sorry- and I am not sure what you are asking. But- its a beautiful rug and your room is stunning so why not? (to be honest I am not sure of the colors with your wall? It might be great but I cannot judge that part.......wait for the mavens to opine)

• 7 years ago

thanks sheila, you made me laugh when you said you weren't sure what I was asking because maybe I don't either! I guess I'm looking for general comments as well as anyone who might have knowledge about persian rugs to chime in.

I contacted the seller but haven't heard back yet, so we'll see if it's even viable.

• 7 years ago

LOve it! Please, please, please buy it! No idea bout quality either - just like it.

• 7 years ago

I'm starting to feel that way about it too daisy...but haven't heard back from the seller yet. Fingers crossed....

• 7 years ago

I am going to look at it tomorrow. Size could be a question.....seller says 8 x 10 but the label in the listing says 7 x 10. Could be a little narrow for a DR table and chairs, but I'll find out when I see it.

• 7 years ago

Looks beautiful

did you get it?

• 7 years ago

Going to look at it in a couple of hours. Could be a bit bold; almost jarring, in my house that doesn't have too many color "pops" as they say. I'm thinking my DR could use something though. I tried some pattern on the drapes but didn't end up liking them. DH also hinks the colors might not work with my DR chairs upholstered in light yellow, so I am going to bring a chair with me. Fingers crossed....

• 7 years ago

I think it's fabulous, and hope you get it! It's more "pop" than you're used to, but I guarantee it would be gorgeous in your space. It's timeless and absolutely beautiful. I kinda want it myself. ;-D

• 7 years ago

thanks Ida. I'm sold on more pop, but the narrow width is nagging me a little. The listing says it's 8 ft but the label says 7. Hoping it's somewhere in between. If it's truly only 7 ft wide, two of the chairs would be off the rug when we expand the table to seat 8. I guess I want perfection, lol!

• 7 years ago

If the price is right and you can work with the size, I say GET IT! I think your chair upholstery would work great with muted gold color in the rug. Even though it has more color than you are used to, the colors don't appear "jarring or bold" to me. The red appears to be an "earthy" red.

• 7 years ago

I have mixed feelings about the rug. Yes, it's pretty, but the red in it looks pretty bright and, for me, there's too much pink in it. I have a similar one and find that I'm more limited with (what I feel) goes well with it.

I see no problem with your dining chairs blending with it, but not sure you want that much red. I can see something like this working. It's more muted yet it picks up the green tones you have in your dining room.

• 7 years ago

Looking forward to your update! From the pictures, it looks like it would be a great candidate if it's the right size for your space :)

• 7 years ago

I brought the rug home (on approval from the seller) and, well, strike two, I guess....lesson learned is that any rug for my DR needs to be at least 8 ft. wide and 10 ft. long. The rug was gorgeous but was 7 ft. 3 inches by 9 ft. 9 inches, and when I tried to make it work with all the leaves in my table, one person on each side plus the two head chairs, had half their legs on the floor. I don't use my DR much but when I do, it's usually with at least 8 people seated, so that would have become an issue every time I tried to use it! It did look cool though......

If you can imagine the table with two more leaves; three (sometimes four) chairs on each side, you need more width to make it work. My table is on a diagonal in my room to maximize the length needed to seat 8-10. Now I know, and thankfully the seller allowed me to check it in my space first. I'll find the right rug.....there are lots of them out there, and I don't mind the one I have, really. Thanks all for your kind comments!

• 7 years ago

Even before you posted the pic of your room with the CL rug, I was going to say that pattern and color of rug usually goes well in any room. How much do they want for it? If you don't think the size works, I think you should look for one similar to it in the size you need.

• 7 years ago

Well, I decided not to keep it, simply because a rug in the DR that doesn't accommodate the chairs well just didn't make sense to me. We use it for family gatherings, etc., and while it doesn't happen that often, those times are important and I want everyone to be comfortable. I feel weird when my chair is half on/half off the rug (or maybe 3 legs on and one leg off).

I'm afraid to tell you how much the seller was asking.....I'm sure you will think I've lost my mind for not buying it; the price was $349. It had a few condition issues; nothing too bad though.

I know now that the size is key; and since I don't HAVE to have a new rug I'll keep trolling on CL and estate sales. There are lots of rugs out there. The right one will be there and when I find it I'll be glad I waited, I think. Thanks all, for your help and kind words!

• 7 years ago

Oh my sorry to confuse you but I love it and I think it looks wonderful. I too was thinking like IdaClaire--- probably 95% of the time it will look awesome.:) (Who cares about company??? )

• 7 years ago

Well at least you were able to bring it home and try it out. Now you now you like those type of colors...sometimes that is half the battle.

• 7 years ago

I don't know if this PB 'Eva' rug does anything for you, but it's NEW on eBay for $338.00 with free shipping. Looks like it has some green shades in it that would look nice with your wall color.

PB Eva rug

• 7 years ago

ooooh, my3dogs, that is tempting. I can't tell if it has a low pile or what the backing is. But I'll do some research. It looks wide enough and yes, the colors would be great in there....thanks!

• 7 years ago

Some of EBay PB rugs are fake, so make sure to compare the pattern very carefully.

The other potential problem is that some of the PB tufted rugs stink terribly when the latex backing disintegrates. I returned one to PB, but if you buy it on ebay, it you can't return it.

http://rugchick.com/2011/12/17/pottery-barn-rugs-to-run-from/

• 7 years ago

I actually prefer the colors in my3dogs posting. I felt the cl rug's colors were too vibrant for your decor. I happen to love a more muted palate.

• 7 years ago

I do too.

• 7 years ago

So funny you should say that, k9 and Yayagal.....this morning I was feeling really good about the decision not to keep the rug. While I always thought I'd love a vibrant persian in there, I felt a sense of appreciation for the more calm and serene vibe my original rug has. I still would like to have something with a little more color and a better contrast with my floors, but may go with something more muted in the future.

• 7 years ago

I have a PB 'Franklin' rug that I bought several years ago in a bedroom. I have had no issues with it at all. I suspect that the Eva is the same, a tufted wool rug. You can read about them on the PB web site, where the Eva is $999 for an 8 x 10. The eBay seller takes returns, but you'd have to pay for return shipping. They have 100% positive feedback, with 408 commenters.

From PB on their Eva rug -

"We are proud to offer our
    artisan-made rugs – each is hand tufted and washed for heft, beautiful
    luster and subtle color. Blooms of an ancient Mughal motif are
    surrounded by a wide palmette border and slim guard bands. Our rug is
    hand tufted in the ancient tradition of durable Heriz carpets.

• Rendered in jewel tones on a warm ivory ground.
    • Handcrafted of pure, yarn-dyed wool by artisan rug makers.
    • Luster washed for rich, mellow color and a silky feel.
    • Sheared pile is velvety to the touch.
    • Self bound for quality that endures.
    • Use with our Rug Pad (sold separately).
    • Rug swatches, below, are available for $25 each. We will provide a
      merchandise refund for rug swatches if they're returned within 30 days.
    • Watch a video about the entire process of crafting our handmade rugs.
    • Imported."