Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ylevine3

HVAC Central air/furnace heat in NYC

7 years ago

im redoing house, and new to this whole thing..house is approx 2400k sq ft plus rental basement. thanks.

i did a lot of digging through forums before posting.. but so overwhelming and so many details... hard to compare without so much knowledge

1)anyone in NYC that can tell me if this quote is in the ballpark for this equipment,

2)is equipment worth upgrading?

3)if im having rental unit in basement, is it worth it to seperate zone for basement, or just wifi control based on first floor temp.. and leave a drop warmer overnight (and cooler in summer) - for comfort in rental?

4)is it worth it to pay more for higher eff. equipment?

5)anything else i should be aware of?

quote is for goodman. rheem is 1500 more, and carrier 2500 more... same efficiency...

extra 1500 for humidifiers...

Option A

1st Floor & Basement

 We will furnish & Install (1) 3.5 Ton 80K BTU 90% Direct Vent Gas Furnace

 We will furnish & Install (1) 3.5 Ton Air Conditioning Coil

 We will furnish & Install (1) 3.5 Ton 13 Seer R410A Condenser

2nd Floor & Attic

 Including:

All insulated supply/return ductwork

Insulated copper refrigeration piping

Grills and diffusers

Condensate drain to nearest drain provided by plumber within 3ft

Heat/Cool Programmable Thermostat

Option $20,2500

Option B

Basement

 We will furnish & Install (1) 1.5 Ton 40K BTU 90% Direct Vent Gas Furnace

 We will furnish & Install (1) 1.5 Ton Air Conditioning Coil

 We will furnish & Install (1) 1.5 Ton 13 Seer R410A Condenser

1st Floor

 We will furnish & Install (1) 2.5 Ton 60K BTU 90% Direct Vent Gas Furnace

 We will furnish & Install (1) 2.5 Ton Air Conditioning Coil

 We will furnish & Install (1) 2.5 Ton 13 Seer R410A Condenser

 Including:

Grills and diffusers

2nd Floor & Attic

 Including:

Grills and diffusers

Option 2 $23,000

Comments (15)

• PRO
    7 years ago

The main reason to zone a basement would be the comfort factor. Without a control in that area it's almost always too cold. If the weather outside is bearable then it's no big deal.

So the decision to zone this area really depends on what it's use is. If the plan is to rent it out, a renter will get tired of various times of the year not having the ability to get comfortable.

If you just move the control to the basement then the comfort factor will switch floors and the opposing floor will always be too hot.

As already suggested... brand doesn't matter if the system is installed properly. Pick the solution based on who is doing the work. If a problem develops with the install it is in your best interest to use the installing contractor to service your equipment.

• 7 years ago

Does the 2400 sq. feet of living space include the basement?

The equipment is very over sized in my opinion. A 7 ton AC and 160K BTU furnace would be enough to heat and cool two houses.

I think the basement should be zoned off the first floor. The basement probably never goes about 72 degrees in the summer so have a separate 1.5 ton AC condenser is a waste of money. In the winter the heat loss in the basement is small. It does not take much to keep it warm even on 10 degree nights.

Find an HVAC contractor who will do a load calculation and will give you model numbers of every piece of equipment.

• 7 years ago
    it's 2400 plus basement.. around 1000 sq ft
  • 7 years ago
    @mike.

your not concerned about other posts about having different tennis in a first floor with kitchen Dr LR....etc.. only used during day. and basement also used throughout night?
    thanks
  • 7 years ago

I am not sure I understand the question. I was proposing one furnace and AC condenser for the first floor and basement. There would be a thermostat in the basement and first floor to set the desired temperature. Both levels would be comfortable.

• 7 years ago
    you can have 2 thermostats for one condenser?
  • 7 years ago

Yes, the thermostats would control the furnace and condenser and zone dampers to send the air to either the basement, first floor, or both.

• PRO
    7 years ago

mike_home

if you're talking about a zone system, the zone controller would control the equipment... the thermostats merely provide communication as to which zone is calling.

• 7 years ago

I agree. It appears the OP is not familiar with a zoned system so I was trying to explain it in simple terms. The next question is does the contractor know how to do a zoned system with single stage equipment. I don't get a good feeling based on what he has proposed so far.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Want to come with us units the Goodman unit is fine and pretty much uses the same exact components as the rest of them do I would say increasing efficiency is always worth it.

www.heating-repair-chicago.com

• 7 years ago
    I spoke to HVAC contractor about zoning. he said it will be cheaper and better to have 2 units. I think he also mentioned something about space.. basement ceiling is pretty low to begin with.. but don't remember for sure..
    . did it make sense that zoning one unit will cost more than 2k? how much extra should it be in labor and materials
  • 7 years ago

Two separate systems is better than zoning, but I highly doubt it will be cheaper.

It is difficult to say how much more zoning will cost. A quote of $2,000 may be reasonable. The only way to tell is to get additional quotes.

• PRO
    7 years ago

2 separate units will do the job, but cost of maintenance and break downs of 2 units as opposed to one with zone controls will in the long run be more costly.

You have 2 units to maintain, you have 2 units to repair when they break. Tag team event. One system breaks down one month. The other system breaks down the next month. Doesn't always happen this way... but it could.

zoning has to be done right. So what does that cost? I don't know I am not there.

'Design, Design, Design' other wise 'Trouble, Trouble, Trouble'.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The majority of HVAC companies do not know how to properly install zoning....... Be warned! I'm not a fan of zoning and would always recommend two separate systems. The expense of repeated "fixing" a poorly installed zoned system may not be that different from two separate systems, not to mention the frustration and headache of dealing with service people who aren't able to fix it!