Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

Basement layout help - pantry + kitchen

7 years ago

I had to tie this into the kitchen forum but the truth is it's mostly about the basement layout. You kind folks on the kitchen forum are by far the most knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully, flattery will get me everywhere.

You may remember me from my modern-ish, vintage-ish kitchen remodel in 2014. We are now considering finishing our basement, and need to include overflow pantry, storage for large stuff like Christmas decorations and such (no attic), a lot of books and games, lounge space plus a kitchen/laundry area. We will not use this kitchen for any real cooking, but for DH's beer brewing hobby. May have a two burner induction cooktop, but that's the extent of cooking. We need a large deep sink for washing pots and such. We currently have a big plastic laundry sink and I'd like to find a stainless steel equivalent, maybe from a restaurant supply. Fridge is only for drink storage, we currently are using an old side-by-side that we got with the house, but would like something smaller and more specific to drink storage for efficiency. We have a small upright freezer, and a small wine fridge.

Washer and dryer can't be moved far without considerable expense and time to move plumbing so I'd rather leave them where they are. I also need 3 to 4 feet of full-length hanging space. I prefer to hang damp clothes rather than iron!

The bathroom is already finished, and the black lines on the layout are posts or walls that will be $$$ to remove. One square = one foot. This space walks out to pool toward the left side of photo. To the top of the photo above where the stairs are will be a shop for DH and workout room. I put the pantry at the bottom of the stairs so it will be handy to run down and grab what we may need quickly.

I would appreciate any suggestions, especially in the "kitchen" area. It doesn't feel right to me. Also would like suggestions or pictures on how to finish off that back wall of storage. Could do it as regular closet doors, sliders, pocket doors. Just don't know what would work best and don't want to waste any space.

We are considering painting the ceiling joists - anyone done that?

Thanks a million!!

Comments (17)

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

So, you want the Laundry Room and Brewing Center to all be in that one, relatively small space?

Personally, I'd want the Laundry "room" to be closed off so I could hide my dirty (and clean) laundry not only when I had guests, but also when I wanted to spend time downstairs.

Have you considered closing off the laundry area and moving the Brewing Center elsewhere? Or, putting the Brewing Center outside the Laundry Room - against the Laundry Room wall? It may mean re-configuring some things, but it would be far more pleasant!

• 7 years ago

Yeah, it's a small space in a small house. If I could, I'd have a dedicated laundry space and separate kitchenette/brewing center. I couldn't figure out how to make it work with other wants for the space, and without having the expense and hassle of moving plumbing again. We are not formal, fussy entertainers. Our friends have been looking at our construction projects and related mess for ages. :)

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A couple of questions: where is your emergency egress? How tall are the ceilings and are they open rafters or are they drywalled? Are there any windows at all - if so, where are they and how big are they? Is your basement water tight?

• 7 years ago

On the left side of the pic, they're marked W and D. A large window, a regular 3' door and a 6' sliding door. These lead to the pool at ground level. We do not really use the slider, we have an insert in it for a doggie door that's not easily removed for frequent use. The ceilings are at least 8' (I think actually a bit higher but I can't recall exactly), are not drywalled, they're open to the joists supporting the first floor. The basement is water tight and there is a significant grade down from the back of the house, so flooding is not a concern.

• 5 years ago

After a lot of pondering, planning and dust, we finally finished the basement and we are very pleased with how it came out. Went back to the drawing board with the plan after some good input. Attached is a sketch of the layout we went with, the kitchenette elevation, and a few pics of the kitchen and laundry areas.

We went with the cheapest Ikea door and drawer fronts, Haggeby. They are not fancy but fine for our purposes and consistent with the style of the house.

Boomerang laminate counter top. We had it fabricated by a local company but they ordered the laminate from HD.

Sink is a Ruvati from Overstock. It's huge and heavy duty and I recommend it.

Faucet is Kraus from HD. Too many plastic parts. It's tall and works fine but should be better quality. It's what you get for less than $200. Should have gone with the Grohe one from Costco.

Haier fridge from Costco. Price was right and it's a nice compact size. Seems to be a great quality. I'll include pics of inside so you can see how it is laid out and what it holds. Freezer has no storage on doors, but each door opens independently. Remember, this is just a drink and overflow fridge so didn't need anything really big.

• 5 years ago

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Island elevation. Two 36" drawer banks, wine fridge, sink cabinet and trash pullout.

Storage side. Fridge with cabinet over, 24" pantry with doors on top and bottom, Two 30" pantries with doors on top and drawer pullouts inside, two drawers on bottom, and another 24" pantry with doors on top and bottom. This is intended for beer brewing equipment, small appliance storage, pantry overflow, Costco-sized storage.

• 5 years ago

We ended up with ceiling a tad over 8 feet!

Floor is a floating LVT. Concrete was pretty uneven so it was about our only option. Really happy with how they turned out.

• 5 years ago

The little drainer is from Ikea. Has a little cutout that just fits over the edge of the drop-in sink.

Lights are cheap globes from Home Depot.

• 5 years ago

Closeup of sink and faucet. We chose to run the plumbing through the column to the main drain line instead of jackhammering our foundation. There's a pump in the cabinet under the sink to make that happen.

• 5 years ago

Column with plumbing... door to left to bedroom, and the one peeking from behind column is out to pool.

• 5 years ago

Looking out to pool

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nifty little fridge.

• 5 years ago

• 5 years ago

Laundry.

Pardon the blue tape. I was sealing the butcherblock. I know it's not great to use for a sink, but it was cheap and our countertop guy flaked out on us after doing the island top. I'm the only one who will use it and I'm careful. :)

• 5 years ago

Inside of one of the pantry cabs with the drawers. This one is the brewing equipment.

Trash pullout.

That's it for all you nosy people out there. LOL

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 5 years ago

Oh, one more. Here's a rough sketch of the layout.