Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueangeldiverusa

Hello, I'm new here! Zone 7b. Rose Wishful Grower

I have AngelFace, Cherry Parfait, Chrysler Imperial, KO: Pink & Dbl Red, Dick Clark, Don Juan, Double Delight, Fragrant Cloud, Heirloom, Iceberg, JFK, Josephs Coat, Love, Lily Pons, Mr Lincoln, Mercury Rising, Mikado, Miranda, Paradise, Perfecta, Perfume Delight, Queen Elizabeth; and 3 David Austins: Abraham Darby, Christopher Marlowe, Evelyn. And I've bought my first mini. It's tag says Parade Rose, it's Red and White strioed! I've seen posts that it could be a Nidia or Gigi.. how can you tell the difference?

Comments (19)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Welcome to the gardenweb/ Roses forum :)

I called Poulsen Roser A/S to ask that very same question about Gigi vs Nidia. I was told that Nidia wasn't distributed much in the U.S., but that Gigi was. Then I called Rocket Farms, the grower that supplies my grocery store and they confirmed that the rose I purchased was Gigi. If you live in the U.S.A., most likely you have Gigi.

• 6 years ago

I just now saw your post and I would like to welcome you to the rose forum.

You have a nice variety of roses. Are they all knew this year or have you been growing for a while?

You have some that I grow and some that I would Iile to. But there is always next year lol

• 6 years ago

Welcome to the forum...

• 6 years ago

Those are some fine roses that you grow I'll bet they are beautiful. Welcome to the forum.

• 6 years ago

Thank you for your welcome. Its taken me months to wade thru the emails right down to spam, to find you. Every yr a few roses are added to the garden by means of gifts from my SO. I had asked for roses when i go in hospital. I had meant cut ones, but instead received bare roots in a bucket. Egads! Over the years, some died, some were killed. (A nasty neighbor) and sadly, all the minis died. I just dont have enought window space of sunlight for them.

Fav rose was Rio Samba, a neighbor fatality. The David Austin's, Fragrant Cloud & Tropicana get the worst case of Black Spot.

A wish for rose is Pope John. A wish for David Austin is Lady Emma Hamilton or Lady of Shalott!

I adore fragrance and love deep cupped formed blooms. Upright and clean is a preference.. but I'm learning the value of Disease Resistant!!

• 6 years ago

I know I’m very late to the party, but welcome to the rose forums!! I’m still pretty new to roses too, actually at this point we probably have been rose gardening for the same amount of time haha. I’m going into my third spring :)

Welcome! I love the selection of roses you have, you have many of the same ones I do, and many that are on my wishlist! Good luck and happy rose-ing!

• 6 years ago

Welcome. Nice collection you have there. If you stay on this forum it will double by next year LOL. We are all enalblers and will have you purchasing roses left and right! You're going to love it!

• 6 years ago

Welcome! I'm very new to roses too. You have some of my favs! :-)

• 6 years ago

Welcome =)! I am in zone7b also. I have been gardening for less than 2 years and this forum has been the best thing that could have happened to me. All the members are very helpful, and it will make your day just looking at their beautiful roses. SoFL Rose is correct about al the enablers here lol. You will think your spring wish list is done, and you will log in and be proven wrong again and again.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Welcome, welcome!! This is a great place to have fun and learn. So wonderful to be with people who don't think you're strange for obsessing over roses. :)

Carol

• 6 years ago

Wow.. thank you so much everyone. !!! So far the only rose that i have purchased myself is Mercury Rising. I do like to. I've had all my roses safely moved away from NN.. into containers. This year I hope yo but the saucers to go under the containers and a drip system to connect them.. lugging water is no fun. Also hoping to dig up a path to them. I'll need lots of prayers for that feat! I buy those $1 throw away roses because it's a I can afford, but the failure rate it exorbitant! Egads... I keep hoping to find local people to share with but not a soul here cares for gardening much less roses: (

• 6 years ago

Yes its really important to add your zone and area to your user name. That way people give you advice its appropriate for your zone, the roses that do well for you, etc.

• 6 years ago

My zone listed with this post--

• 6 years ago

Hmmm. I'm not seeing it. : (

• 6 years ago

• 6 years ago

Again. Let me reiterate.. I stated my zone at the beginning. It always held to read the post

• 6 years ago

I'm in SE Virginia near the North Carolina line zone 8A. Most of the rest of VA is z7. I often give away roses that require spraying or more sun than I have.

What part of the country (area) are you in?

• 6 years ago

That's an idea ive been playing round myhead-- find roses that are at least black spot resistant, fragrant. Upright. And pleasing to my eye. Not asking alot!!