Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Where would I buy custard?

6 years ago

I would normally try to make it myself but since we moved to high altitude my cooking skills have taken a dive.

I'd like to make some easy mini Boston cream cupcakes for superbowl Sunday. Yellow cake, custard and fudge frosting.

Has anyone made custard from a mix or seen pre made custard anywhere? I'd rather do custard than pudding but I may have to set my sights lower.

Comments (13)

• 6 years ago

Bird's Custard is a popular dry custard powder imported from England. I use it to make the custard for English trifle. Better grocery stores with a decent import section in my area carry it or you can order from Amazon.

• 6 years ago

Most super markets sell it in the section where the yogurt and packaged cheeses are located. It comes in a round bowl.

• 6 years ago

Ask at the bakery counter of your grocery store,

• 6 years ago

I had a co-worker from Scotland who used Bird's Custard in her trifle so I made one using it. I remember it not being as sweet or flavorful as homemade custard but that was 30 years ago, so gardengal can advise you better on flavor. Maybe a wee bit of vanilla would help.

• 6 years ago

Bird's Custard will work, but we ate it made as a warm, slightly runny, custard to pour over pie or crumble.

• 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! Since these will be a handheld treat, I'd like to find a thicker custard for the filling. I've seen containers of pudding at our store but not custard. I'm headed to the grocery store today and I'll do some investigating.

• 6 years ago

Bird's Custard can be made to any consistency you like. Trifle needs a thick custard so I make it thick :-) And custard is just a cooked egg/milk mixture so how flavorful is it supposed to be? If you need it sweeter, just add some sugar! FWIW, I have never seen prepared custard for sale in the refrigerated section of any grocery in my area. Perhaps it is a regional thing?

• 6 years ago

Haven't looked lately, but I used to buy boxed custard mixes in the pudding/gelatin section @ grocery stores. Here where I live, they can sometimes be found in the Hispanic foods section as well.

Maybe instead of custard, what you want is pastry cream?

https://www.marthastewart.com/343977/pastry-cream

• 6 years ago

Pastry cream is just a thick custard :-) Same ingredients in both.

• 6 years ago

AFAIK, pastry cream includes starch, while regular custard does not...

And then there's baked custard, which I love - esp. flan.

• 6 years ago

Vanilla pastry cream is super easy to make and so delicious. Simple ingredients and about 20 minutes of time. It is well worth it.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well, like I said up thread, we moved to a high altitude area with very low humidity and I've lost my cooking touch. We've been here over a year and I hate to tell you how many things I've ruined.

So, instead of potentially wasting $, ingredients and being frustrated, I am looking for something pre made or that doesn't involve cooking eggs.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor