Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebony92

need help with open living and dining area

6 years ago
Trying need some advice on a few things before I make some purchases. 1. I need a new light fixture this one IS NOT working also our ceilings seem pretty low so can’t have anything too crazy. Any suggestions?
2 how are the chairs? I only ordered 2 from RH in case I didn’t like them. If they are good then I’ll get the rest.
3 the console under the tv I’d like to put where that brass shelf is at in the dining area. But then where do I put the brass shelf? Maybe in the corner in the living room?
4. I will insert a pic of the media console I’m thinking about getting to replace what’s under the tv now tell me what you think.
5. Above that cabinet I want to put in the dining area I’d like to hang a framed scarf that I’ve seen done so many times. Should I do that or put a mirror? I will also insert the scarf options I have
6. I know I need a new sofa and love seat and a new rug and coffee table lol... will get to that at a later time but should I do another sofa/ love seat or sectional
... sorry it’s so lengthy but if you read all of this GREAT! Only allowed to upload so many photos at a time so I’ll have to add the rest in comments

Comments (21)

• 6 years ago
    More photos
  • 6 years ago
    More photos.. also I know the cord is an eyesore. That’s thanks to my husbands “handy work”
  • 6 years ago
    Scarf options I’d like to frame
  • 6 years ago

no media console posted

• 6 years ago
    Tv console I forgot to post
  • 6 years ago
    Ilikefriday the scarves are bigger 36” sq still no?lol I wanted that idea to work so bad oh well
  • 6 years ago

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that tv console but I don't think it compliments the rest of your furniture.

• 6 years ago
    ilikefriday It’s the same brass at the floor lamp and and shelf. It’s just hard to see because of the photos but. I will be getting new sofas and coffee table and end tables but that won’t be for a few months. The floor lamp and tv console are both from the same store
  • 6 years ago

I love artwork, and I'm all for alternative pieces, but I think you can do better than the scarves. If you have young kids then they might be able to create an abstract painting for you.

• 6 years ago
    ilikefriday that’s a great idea with the artwork. I didn’t think of that. We have a 6yr old who would gladly do that
  • 6 years ago

If you will be changing in a few months then I say go for the console. I really like it a lot. If it were in my house, I would put African masks above the tv instead of something framed.

• 6 years ago

Just saw your post about your 6yo. Yes that would work. Get a large piece of mdf and you paint it a solid color. Then give your 6yo 3 colors of paint and 10 minutes to paint a picture of the family. I bet it will turn out awesome and your kid will be so proud to have their artwork prominently displayed.

• 6 years ago
    Oh I didn’t think about putting something over the tv. I think I wasn’t clear haha... the console that is under the tv currently I would like to move to where the brass shelf is in the dining area (like a buffet) I then need to find a new home for the brass shelf. Since that console will be moved to a different wall I will need to put something above it so it’s not an empty space that’s where I would either put a piece of art or a mirror
  • 6 years ago
    But I still like the idea of masks above tv
  • 6 years ago

My Houzz · More Info
    That beautiful ;) abstract painting to the left of the window was created by the wonderful artist I gave birth to when he was 4yo. He named it Hair.

• 6 years ago
    Omg I LOVE that! Piece he did
  • 6 years ago

I have lots of artwork. I LOVE art but my Hair painting is priceless. I wouldn't give it up for the world. It just makes me happy. ;)

• 6 years ago

I like the RH chairs. What do you think of a light similar to this for your dining table?

Mercer 5-Light Linear Pendant, Black With Seeded Glass · More Info
    I would move your art work over the dining table so the frames are about 2" apart. It will have more impact grouped closer together.

I very much like the brass shelf in its current location. The wall color is dark and the metal gives a nice contrast. It's also very well arranged.

The t.v. console you've chosen is great. I like that the brass ties into the shelf and lamp.

I would choose another sofa versus a sectional. Two sofas would work versus a loveseat if you have the room.

• 6 years ago
    Katinparadise I had that exact shape in mind for a light fixture thanks!
  • 6 years ago

You're welcome Ebony!