Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_callis

Help us finish furnishing our victorian lounge in our tenement flat

5 years ago

Our lounge has been bare for far to long and we are really looking to progress the room over the summer months. We have received help in the past regarding colours for the room and we are settled on earthy tones (grey, cream, brown), with geometric shapes and brass/gold metallic items.

The south facing room measures 5.1m by 4.3m and has a victorian fireplace in the centre with red and flower tiles. The fireplace surround has been painted in a matt black to match in with the fireplace. The walls are primarily painted in a warm grey (Farrow and Ball Skimming Stone), with a slightly lighter grey between the white picture rail and cornicing.

In the centre of the room we have a large cream and grey area rug (Safavieh "Kate" Shag Rug, Ivory/Grey, 243 x 304 cm) and a bespoke wood coffee table made from reclaimed beams and stained in a walnut colour.

To the left of the fire we have a grey reading armchair (with matching footstool) and a brass lamp.

The right hand side of the fire is currently fairly bare with just a walnut and brass tripod lamp in the corner.

Comments (21)

• 5 years ago

• 5 years ago

Heres a couple of before pictures from moving in day for good measure :)

• 5 years ago

There is currently nothing above the fireplace and we are still deciding if we would like a large piece of art or a large mirror. We are perhaps leaning toward a mirror as it is likely to be easier to find.

We are currently looking at large gold mirrors but are unsure on what shape to go for as well as the exact style.

Perhaps a similar style to one of the following (in gold/brass)?

• 5 years ago

To the left of the fire we have a grey reading armchair (with matching footstool) and a brass lamp. This fill the area pretty well and we are considering possibly putting on clock on the wall here.

The right hand side of the fire is currently fairly bare with just a walnut and brass tripod lamp in the corner. Between the lamp and fire we are considering placing a taller more substantial plant and perhaps a brass and marble drinking trolly.

Other ideas we have for this space are a small sideboard or a bookcase.

• 5 years ago

On the left hand wall of the room is the entrance to the living room and there is another door which hides a large cupboard. Between these two doors we have our TV on a walnut stand and 2 floor standing speakers. Ideally we are looking to put some art work above the TV to finish of this wall.

We have a 3 and 2 seater La-z-boy Ava sofa in coffee leather(it is kind of a dark tan colour but can look brighter in daylight). The 2 seater sofa currently has a pom pom throw on it to try and blend it better into the room and a few cushions. The 3 seater is largely bare. We definitely need additional cushions for the sofa (and probably replace the large rectangle ones) to help blend it in with the rest of the room.

We like assorted cushions and are considering getting one or two of these for each of the sofas.

Still not decided and would appreciate any other suggestions for cushions.

• 5 years ago

The wall above the 3 seater sofa is completely empty. Here we are thinking of having either a gallery wall or a picture shelf with pictures of places we have been, primary in greyscale.

The corner between the two sofas is also currently empty. Here we are thinking of getting a side table (gold and marble?) or perhaps putting a small sideboard diagonally?

Finally the current light fitting would probably benefit from being updated to better fit with the colour scheme,

I’d love to hear what you think of some of our plans for the room and would be super grateful for any other suggestions you may have.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

When your lovely room is empty it has so much promise, but with the gray walls and dark furniture it's hardly recognizable and looks so much smaller and less interesting. I would have left the walls light, put in a large and colorful tribal rug with some red in it to go with the red in the fireplace, found a metal and glass coffee table, and put in lighter-colored furniture with pretty pillows to go with the rug colors and original art on the walls. Since you're following the current trend of gray and neutral, I would at least suggest a glass coffee table to make your space look larger. I'm afraid the speakers really don't add anything to the room. I don't know if there is any way to hide them, or can you possibly do without them?

• 5 years ago

Beautiful space.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Your space is gorgeous - such wonderful architectural details. But that ordinary dark, heavy furniture and the console holding the TV just ruin it. Start over.

• 5 years ago

Before putting a mirror over the fireplace, think about what it would reflect. And art is not hard to find at all. There are all sorts of places online to buy art. Here are three:

art.com

greatbigcanvas.com

gallerydirect.com

Watch for sales.

I'm not crazy about the way your TV is sandwiched between the doors. Can the speakers be moved elsewhere in the room?

Clear all the little stuff off the mantel and find a tall piece of art to hang there, and a large landscape format piece for over the couch.

• 5 years ago

Ben thanked groveraxle
  • 5 years ago

Pleasant room. Like the large windows and all that natural light. Like the coffee table.

As for art for the walls, including for the space above the fireplace, don't just rush to put something/anything up to cover a bare spot. Take your time and find something that reflects your personal interests.

Found this:

http://eco2017.info/art-above-fireplace/art-above-fireplace-above-fireplace-decor-fireplace-wall-decor-above-fireplace-mantel-large-wall-decor-above-decorative-fireplace-logs-above-fireplace-fireplace-clipart-black-and-white/

You might consider going bold for a mantel:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/207728601543366287/?lp=true

Not a great fan of your floor lamp styles, both are likely to produce glare … though a different bulb might help.

Like this:

http://adventurousmom.me/floor-lamp-and-table-combination/excellent-idea-floor-lamp-and-table-combination-combo-fresh-furniture/

You should at least consider end tables with tall thin lamps with white shades. You could even use upscale wood two drawer filing cabinets as end tables and have them do double duty -- or the three drawer (a shallow top drawer) -- and many have locks to discourage snooping guests from seeing personal items or all those paid bills you're saving for your tax records. The deep file drawers can also store photo albums and/or hats and/or purses -- things other than files -- so they make good bedside tables as well.

Note: I truly loathe the drapes-sloppily-dragging-the-floor fad. Consider raising them so the hems are less than an inch above the floor.

Ben thanked suezbell
  • 5 years ago

You know what? I am really very tired of some posters lack of manners. And their unkindness.

you have a lovely room that needs a little lightness. I am sure you will get plenty of help and input here. I hope the help will be kind and mannerly.

(are you in England? The fireplace reminds me of those I remember from Ireland. And my (grandmother) nanny).

• 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind and helpful comments.

We are based up in Scotland in Glasgow .

I have attached a picture of the room in the morning day light (the sun is still at the back of the building). Here you will see the grey wall colour in the daylight. In my opinion it is not a dark grey more of a medium grey. On sunny days (they occasionally happen in Scotland) the room gets sun for most of the day and the walls appear even lighter.

For sure if we were to start again we would do some things a bit differently — I imagine we all would. Currently we are not wanting to start over (we don’t have the budget for one). Ideally we are looking for suggestions to work with and improve what we have.

groveraxle thanks very much for pointing us in the direction of those website and also taking the time to photoshop the room to give an example of how it could look. A large painted canvas above the fireplace definitely looks lovely.

• 5 years ago

I think the photoshop Grover did with the colorful art work looks great!

• 5 years ago

Love the fireplace.. at least no one suggested putting the TV above it ! personally I would put a mirror over the fire .and pick out some of the fireplace colours for cushions

• 5 years ago

I like the idea of a mirror over the fireplace or artwork that has the colour of the tile in it. It would be really nice to have some cushions that have the red of the tile too. I agree with Grover that it would be nice if the speakers could be moved/hidden.

• 5 years ago

Oh my, I love your space, love the gray walls and molding. Such beauty and character.

Ben thanked iheartsix
  • 5 years ago

I like your room a lot. I think adding some colorful art will bring it some light and life.

• 5 years ago

Since you are in Glasgow, you may get even more helpful comments if you post on Houzz.co.uk

As for art, off the top of my head, try: juniqe.co.uk; artrepublic.com (used to be .co.uk); notonthehighstreet.com/art

Love your room! (but I would, in time, most certainly replace the sofa)

Ben thanked babophz