Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cac546

What did you gift your builder's team at the end?

5 years ago

I understand not everyone does this and it's not necessary. That being said, we've had an extraordinary experience building our custom home over the past two years and would like to give gifts to the team at our closing next week. I've gotten to know them well enough where I have decent ideas about what they would like, I'm just struggling with how much to spend. We would like to give them a nice gift without having it be awkward/uncomfortable/excessive.

If you don't mind sharing, I would love to get a general idea of the monetary value of any gifts you gave to the builder's team (I'm talking the 4 people we worked with the entire time, not subs) and, if you're willing to share even a very vague range, a ballpark idea of the cost of your house.

If you are or work for a custom home builder I would also love to hear your honest thoughts on this! Again, I understand it's not necessary or perhaps even expected, but we understand how hard custom builds can be and feel very grateful. Is there a value of gift that would feel to you like a very nice gift without being awkward?

Comments (8)

• 5 years ago

We are planning on having a "wrap" party and invite the key subs as we don't have a builder team. At that point I would give them envelopes with cash and a handwritten thank you. $50 is a reasonable dinner out for most folks. I can easily see giving up to $200 or so for very special / specific folks who when above and beyond or, in your case, have been with you for the entire time and are invested in the project / proud of it.

I just always give cash - it's always needed and convertible into a "want" or a "need".

cac546 thanked just_janni
  • 5 years ago
    We did wine and thank yous at Christmas. At the end we will do wine and thank you again and host a bbq.
    cac546 thanked User
  • 5 years ago

If my issues are ever solved, I'm planning on a bbq for the subs we like and our supervisor.

cac546 thanked cpartist
  • 5 years ago

Written recommendations that you personalize and frame for them, and being willing to serve as a reference goes a very long way as a Thank You. Everyone likes to be praised, and being able to use that recommendation on their website or Houzz helps them help new customers.

Gift certificates to the local sporting goods store, family go kart track, farmer’s market, or steak restaurant, also work. Something you know they'd enjoy, but might not take the time to make happen if they paid for it.

A casual wrap party with their families, on a Saturday afternoon into early evening, if there’s enough people that you would invite, would be a great thank you too. That says that you see them as people, not just the work that they have done. Includingbthe families thanks them for allowing their family member to spend more time with you than with them.

cac546 thanked User
  • 5 years ago

I'm in bed with my builder every night - isn't that enough ;-)

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I designed a project years ago where my client used the same method. Her doctor husband objected and they divorced and the house went up for sale. It was a big mess.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I was invited, just over a week ago, to a pig roast hosted by my client after the completion of a boathouse I designed for him (his boats actually). Come to think of it the builder nor any of the subs were there, but there were a lot of my client's friends. So never mind. I did have a great time and the wine selection was very good.

cac546 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect