Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmk987

need color help- will this quartzite look good with white cabinets?

5 years ago
We are planning on white cabinets for our kitchen with a cherry island stained dark brown. We both love this quartzite (Florida wave i think it’s called) but i can’t decide if it will match. I would want to bring out the greens with the back splash and other furnishings.
I had my heart set on honed fantasy brown... i love greens and warm tones. But enough stone suppliers have convinced me it’s marble and won’t hold up to our young family of 4 kids for the rest of our days in this house. I really do not want a gray and white kitchen.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (13)

• 5 years ago

It looks very gray to me. My whole kitchen is green and white with a dark wood island and would not have been happy with that stone. Have you looked at Taj Mahal if you like a more quiet stone or Fusion if you don't mind lots of pattern?

kim k thanked cpartist
  • 5 years ago

I love Taj Mahal - that and mother of pearl were my favorites when we first started looking. I was worried it would all look too beige though? I especially loved Taj Mahal leathered so amazing. I also fell in love with a very blue/green fusion but my husband doesn't want anything that busy. This one slab seemed like a good compromise because the perimeter counters would be calmer and the island could have the dramatic veining. I was worried the calmer part of the stone looks too gray though. So hard to tell in the warehouse!

There are SO many beautiful slabs I find myself falling in love with everything. I'm trying to be careful to stay away from the ones mislabeled as quartzite because we really want a durable natural stone counter.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's one leathered from the Daltile store.... they called it 'crystalize' but it looked like Taj to me. Better? I did want more color though :/

• 5 years ago

I don't like that counter top at all with your dark brown island. It will look like an after thought. If you love greens, why not go with a warm neutral top / beige like TM (your lower picture is great) and introduce a bit of green in the back splash without going "all green".

I love green in kitchens too :)

kim k thanked lucky998877
  • 5 years ago
    Here’s another Florida wave we liked... but my worry was it’s too pink/purple. Beautiful green streak and no gray though!
  • 5 years ago
    Thank you luckyblueeye! I wanted to bring in green by painting the island but my husband has no sense of adventure in design lol. I definitely would do a colorful backsplash if i can get it all to coordinate. Not sure green goes with the Taj though.
  • 5 years ago

That last one is a winner! Play down the pink and purple by putting up a green backsplash.

• 5 years ago

Your fusion is stunning! I actually showed that to my husband a while ago when you first posted I loved it so much. Now you have me rethinking... My husband was on board with that last one it was me worrying about the pinks and purples. I might have to load the kids into the car and revisit the stone yard! We have so many places near us so it's nice to have so many options but also really difficult to decide. So hard to picture what it will look like horizontal in the kitchen and I don't want to make an $$$ mistake.

• 5 years ago

I'm also thinking since we need two slabs I can be picky about which parts they use where and avoid the top that has most of the pink maybe? I also had considered asking the fabricator to hone or leather the stone for me... risky because I won't know exactly how it will look. But, I love most leathered stones I see and the pinks and purples will likely be less noticeable when they aren't polished.

• 5 years ago

Just wait to buy your back splash after your counter has been installed. Dry fit your samples and see what tones come out. Your eye will tell you what makes you the happiest.

• 5 years ago

Kim, you shouldn’t sign off on the fabrication until you’ve seen a digital mock-up of the cuts on your exact slabs. You can absolutely tell them to avoid the pink, or put it in a place you won’t notice it. I love cpartists kitchen!

• 5 years ago

Thank you both. I still haven't done a final reveal because I'm waiting till my wallpaper in my dining area is hung and that won't be until October.

And of course you can pick the areas of your slabs. Let us know what you decide.