Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edewrell

Please help with backsplash dilemma

5 years ago

Our backsplash is finished but I am not satisfied with it. It just looks off to me. The edge of the cabinets and countertops don't touch the door casing which makes it off. I think it is the smaller cut tiles that are bothering me the most. Would it be better to take off the vertical tiles on the end and add a vertical pencil rail that would give the smaller tiles around 1.5 more inches when they are replaced or just leave it like it is? They are willing to change it however I want but I don't know which way would look better. They are going to straighten the crooked tile at the top either way. Please help!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    5 years ago
    Well due to the cabinet end the tiler chose to terminate at edge of upper cabinet. If you brought it out to edge of countertop that might look better? Kind of a toss up to my eye. Once you have items on counter it might be ok?
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    What bothers me is the way the end was finished. I prefer a pencil edge or a Schluter edge.
  • 5 years ago
    I would have it changed to the pencil edge for sure. The kitchen will be great when it’s complete!
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Just use a schluter edge then all the tiles will be wider, where it ends now is correct to my eye.
  • 5 years ago
    I am actually drawn to the edge of it due to the outlet being so far over! I’m not sure what you can do about that. I think once you get a few things (not clutter) on the counter top it won’t be as noticeable.
  • 5 years ago

end with Schluter edge. and make sure they bring it to the end of the counter

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In this particular situation, I would prefer that the counter end flush with the cabinet - as it is, either the top of the backsplash sticks out, or the or the bottom of the backsplash is recessed. I don't love either of those options, but if I had to choose, I would prefer it as it is now - recessed on the counter. If it were me, I would try and get that counter section sized so that it was flush, and then there would be no issue with where the tile ends. In any event, remove those vertical pieces - that looks odd. A Schluter edge would look fine there.

• PRO
    5 years ago

The width of those bullnose tiles is not pleasing to the eye. If the line makes a pencil for trim, use that. If not, have the installer rip down the bullnose piece to 1x6 and you'll lose that heavy look.

• 5 years ago

i'm not liking the edge tiles either... i prefer either a shulter strip or just turning the tiles sideways for self edging.

where it ends is perfectly correct. there are two places to end it, i prefer the one your tile person chose. i dont like the tile sticking out as it does by the blue arrow.

• 5 years ago

"So on the short tiles, the cut edge is on the inside next to the other tiles."

We did mine the same way. Glass tiles, no schluter or pencil edge, and it looks great.

• 5 years ago

How about avoiding the whole issue and taking the tile to the door casing and floor?

• 5 years ago

ditto..take it to the door . and down if they'll do it. cleaner look.

• 5 years ago

It's a different area. If you did that^, then you wind up stopping it right at the cabinet, which I think would look much worse in that space.

• 5 years ago

+1 to leave the edge where it is. The untiled strip is too narrow to look decent if you take it to the door casing, and if it goes to the edge of the counter, you'll have an awkward corner at the top of the backsplash (shown above with a blue arrow).

Also +1 to use the same tile, with a sanded/eased edge, if that's possible. If it's not possible, use a Schluter edge in the same color as your tile.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It ends in the right spot, but the tile placement is odd. There should be a schulter edge there. They come in all different profiles & colors.