Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casandra383

Help!! painter coming tomorrow!!

5 years ago
We having the exterior of our house painted before putting it up for sale. It is a large house with white trim and charcoal roof. I want to paint it Gale Force (SW). The painter agrees with my husband that we should go lighter, (because it is less work). Opinions? (Photo is 5 years old)

Comments (17)

• PRO
    5 years ago

what else are you planning to do? patio furniture, planting? painting the front door should be on that list as well.

• 5 years ago
    The fence is gone and there is landscaping all around the front/side now. I just didn’t have a clear recent photo handy.
    I am thinking yellow for the front door. Maybe brown for porch floor, porch furniture is natural wicker/wood. I am not sure what to paint the shutters and sidelights yet.
  • 5 years ago
    It is the same roof in both photos.
  • 5 years ago

Is the paint in bad shape? I'm not understanding why you need to re-paint for sale?

• PRO
    5 years ago

Leave the porch the color it is, remove the itty bitty shutters. yellow would be nice, I dont think its too dark, and I do think a bold blue/gray is current.

• 5 years ago
    Yes. It is severly faded and blotchy where siding was replaced after a storm.
  • 5 years ago

I like the color it is right now. I would be painting it the same color. With the dark roof, nothing darker than what is there now.

• 5 years ago
    There is a row of paint dilemmas below my post starting with Help, painters tomorrow! I guess we all have a crisis of confidence the night before. ☺️.
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Going very dark on your siding will eliminate a portion of the buyer pool for your home.

Since you are selling the house and painting it to sell, consider a lighter color preferably not in the blue family. Buyers have a very strong reaction to blue: they love it or hate it IME. I'm a Realtor so I see this divide with strong colors in my area. A good agent in your area can tell you what colors work for resale too.

Depending upon the final color you select, the yellow doors would be fabulous. Here are a couple of combos for your consideration with different front door colors:

Melchers McIntosh Residence · More Info

^Yellow siding and navy front door with white trim including sidelites.

Silverlake/Brier · More Info

^Blue with yellow door. You can see that this is beautiful, but would eliminate some buyers right from the beginning.

Bluegrass Living · More Info

^Very neutral siding.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Poppleton Park, Birmingham, MI Exterior Makeover · More Info

^Sage green

Expanded Tudor · More Info

Buford Road · More Info

^If you end up selecting dark gray, then use this yellow front door and white sidelites with the brass/gold tone lamps. It looks very clean and welcoming IMO.

• 5 years ago
    What area are you in? I am an hour and 1/2 outside Atlanta in the mountains. Craftsman style houses are super popular here. My house isn’t craftsman by any stretch, but I thought going with more of that type of color scheme might be a plus?
  • 5 years ago
    Gray has kind of “had it moment and moved on” here.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

My first thing would be to remove the undersized shutters .I agree the same as it is with a yellow door will look nice .

• 5 years ago

Your home isn't Craftsman. Don't try to make it one. Select a lighter color for the body that is complimentary to the roofing shingles. The Georgia sun is hard on dark colors and will reduce your pool of buyers. Get rid of the shutters. They are fake and look fake. For your pop of interest, paint the front door a brighter color. Clear yellow and bright red are great colors. If you are putting it on the market in the next few weeks, yellow mums in pots will look great.

• 5 years ago
    Any suggestions besides SW Outerspace? That is the lightest of the color samples I got and the one my husband is lobbying for. It looks French country blue on my house!! I can’t see a buyer wanting it either. It photographs much richer than in person. .
  • 5 years ago

If it is not too late, check out SW Pewter Tankard. I used it in a color match by BM in Aura. My exposure is west/southwest. Our colors seem similar.

This is an older picture before new landscaping, etc.