Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flschwartz

Help to find a comforter or spread to match Roman Shades

5 years ago

Moved to a new home. Ordered Roman shades tone on tone toile. Trying to find a bed cover that coordinates. Photo of shades with two choices we returned and a few we considered. Any ideas? Formal cherry furniture want elegant look. Adjacent bath black white and grey.

Comments (24)

• 5 years ago
    Photos
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I actually like the first one but I'd do a big black velvet chair in the corner, maybe a creamy bench, and, can't see the rest of the room.

or a dark charcoal velvet bed

• 5 years ago
    The first one being the Lascala? The first picture not to be ones in actual room?
    I thought of doing a black velvet duvet cover and use this as a spread or black throw pillows.
  • 5 years ago

I'd do a solid ivory. I like the one that has texture.

• PRO
    5 years ago

NONE.............of the above. First, take a much closer photo of the roman shades. Most of these are mill fabrics easily found. But we can't really see it.

Then come back.

All the patterns you have are far too busy, and the solids too cool for the tone of the shades. What is the flooring in the room? I am curious as to why, with a gray, black, white adjacent bat, you began the room scheme with a beige tone toile.

You're going to have to begin with something like this, and add accents. I would not be looking for "comforter sets"

https://www.horchow.com/Levtex-Champagne-Velvet-Full-Queen-Quilt-Set-and-Matching-Items-Quilts-Coverlets/cprod144660003_cat7920748__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.jsp%253FitemId%253Dcat7920748%2526pageSize%253D120%2526Nao%253D0%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=cprod144660003&cmCat=product

ADD a bit of black to that, in european shams /BLACK.....and one more quilt in black pickstitch.

add a bit of accent

all above, HORCHW. Not a set, put it together : ) Layer it up

• PRO
    5 years ago

You decided on the roman shades at the wrong time. IMO bedding drives the bedroom dcor and would have been easier to have the shades coordinate with the bedding.I would also like to see the whole space to really get any kind of feel for what might work. I would certainly not do a velvet duvet cover it will weigh a ton.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Separate the decorative aspect of the bed, from the practical. Think of velvet as a day dressing. Whatever light weight thing you want UNDER it ? Fine! I like down fill, no cover. Most are washable these days. A silk blanket? Yummy. Separate the functions. You fold the velvet back at night, or onto a bench and SLEEP with what you like. The same way a hotel does it. : )

• 5 years ago
    Wow thanks you guys! In retrospect I see that we should have got temporary shades and done bedding first. My husband didn’t want hanging drapes due to dust and I wanted something decorative. These were custom ordered through Costco. They are more taupe then ivory. I’ve included more photos of shades rug furniture bath. The bath is down small hall in bedroom but you can see the dressing area. The shades match the wall color. We picked out be color through out the house to save money when we built it. Thanks again!
  • 5 years ago
    More pics
  • 5 years ago
    One more. Thanks again
  • 5 years ago
    Could this work it’s reversible ?
  • PRO
    5 years ago

You are going to have to start with a nice white base, layer it up!! I'd get two sets, both not expensive. White and taupe. The room is going to die of blah, sorry to say, without the brightening effect, and the mix. Remove the rose colored wing chair entirely if you can. "Hubby doesn't want curtains". Well, a few sets of white sheer billowy panels on a narrow rod, over those roman shades would brighten, freshen the look. My bet is no matter how traditional you may be, neither one of you is "old" enough for the bedroom look you have begun : ) Yup , I said it. You can have elegant without a trip to the land of blah, or old lady. Mix up the sets. Use the white as the base, fold the taupe at the foot of the bed, and mix in the sham from the taupe. Take away the matching mirror to the dresser, get a nice free hanging in a champagne tone frame. Add some sparkle in lamps......Be as "young" as I am sure you are.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/3211506465593121385_6518403428513170827_7815?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_prop&utm_campaign=7815&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/18379258261484464334_8815125471332390157_118724597?_dg=1

Neutral /tradionally elegant, doesn't mean snoring.......at least not until you WANT to snore

• 5 years ago

Thanks. I am kicking myself for buying those shades now. I really liked them until I tried to do the bedding. I love rich colors and perhaps I can add the black into the mix. Cannot do any type of curtains due to dust. What about the Waterfall set that is reversible? See above. Has some subtle pattern with white in it or just plain champaign. We have a down comforter, maybe a black or charcoal cover for that? Glass lamps? Thinking I better hire a decorator for the rest of the house when we can afford one... Thanks again for taking the time with this.

• PRO
    5 years ago

You have a down comforter. So WHY are you looking at comforter sets??

First, the paint is doing nothing for the roman shades, They are doing nothing for the wall color. They were a mistake, and I'd call Loews, and get white plantation shutters.. Then, I'd get the walls painted in Charcoal. It will swallow up furniture

Add WHITE and an accent you love....via pillows.........

When you goof, you goof. Unless you are vastly in love with the toile? Don't throw more money at it, but you DO want to acknowledge the tones in your bath : )

All below, pottery Barn

• 5 years ago

Thanks. I was looking at comforter sets because that seemed to have the most options in terms of color and patterns. Is the Chantelle Waterford comforter set that is reversible to all Champagne out completely? We have an old down comforter that had an old duvet cover the dog chewed so I was looking to replace the cover and have something else decorative for the bed with that underneath. I see what you are saying about the shades but they are new and custom and expensive and we cannot replace them and also cannot repaint and order shutters. Also they are room darkening which our plantation shutters that we do have elsewhere are not. We still have a family room and dining area to furnish and our old home is still for sale. We have to work with existing paint, and window coverings. I do love the idea of burgundy as it is my favorite color. Also I love paisley. Would burgundy work with the shades or do I need to stick to neutrals like Champagne? Is the only way to add pattern in pillows. Besides curtains hubby hates throw pillows all over the bed. I have over ruled him though on that one....

Thanks for your help. I honestly appreciate it.

• 5 years ago

Any ideas to incorporate burgundy with the grey white black and those shades?

• PRO
    5 years ago

You began with colors you don't love. In a pattern we can't even find, and for all we know was something Costco had from a mill at a huge discount.

I think your first issue is to do NOTHING right now. I mean that. Go to Target, get a white matelasse coverlet, a couple shams and a couple toss pillows. Put every darn thing on hold until the sale of the other house.

Trying to get a lot for a little, will get you a whole lot of absolutely nothing! If you have to make it "go" and nothing can change? Add white and lots of it........with some wine toss pillows to this:

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/18379258261484464334_8815125471332390157_118724597?_dg=1https://express.google.com/u/0/product/18379258261484464334_8815125471332390157_118724597?_dg=1

• 5 years ago

Sounds like a reasonable plan. White is a good idea. And I like burgundy a lot. I actually did really like the shades until I tried to find bedding. I thought they were neutral and elegant and would go with a lot of things but clearly I was wrong about that. We picked them out in about ten minutes because the Costco representative couldn't leave the sample books with us. Live and learn. I do really love the white plantation shutters we did in the rest of the house. And those were pricey because of the arched windows. Thanks again. I'll see what I can come up with or just use the old dog chewed floral that is on the bed now. Its like from 1980.... LOL

• 5 years ago

Instead of Target, go to Tuesday Morning. They have a great selection of quality bedding at a great price.

BTW, I like the 1 set (with the black). Goes nicely with the bathroom.

• 5 years ago

Ok will check it out. Thanks.

• 5 years ago

I see there is one near me so I will look there. They don't seem to have an online store.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Try to blend your hands and feet?

This is 112.00 bucks ( link above)

Get some burgundy toss pillows..................Buy an inexpensive WHITE duvet cover and sham set virtually anywhere. Then.........

USE THE SET ABOVE ( taupe) With its comforter folded at foot of bed, and ONE sham in front of those you will buy in WHITE. to match the duvet cover that is going over the old down comforter.

Done. Good lord.

And remove the rose colored wing chair, until you can deal with it. When DH bitches about pillows? Tell him he was part of the problem to start : )

• 5 years ago

Ok thanks. That is a great match for the shades. The fabric for shades came from Graber, who has the contract with Costco FYI

Would a black duvet cover also work? Rose chair stays for now as we have no furniture except bar stools and formal dining room and office downstairs and I like to sit in it and read. The chair had been in our formal living room in CT. We sold most furniture when we moved. This is quite a process! LOL Thanks again.