Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katelinburgess

Huge open space, need help!!

5 years ago
I’m so intimidated by this living/dining room. The little cut out in the wall is to the kitchen, so I was imagining a dining space there. Any ideas on color scheme or what furniture would look nice? I’m not very good at decorating so any assistance would be appreciated! We currently have a sage green sectional... any chance that would still work? Help!!!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    5 years ago
    Very nice space you have, there is a lot of potential for design in the room!! I would say maybe bright colored furniture to maybe contrast against the gray room.

Or any type of shiny metals would look lovely in there. The key is to add different textures colors and shapes to make the room more visually appealing.
    It all depends on your style...
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    I think the green sectional would be a nice good pop of color. Also, anything that matches the floor or the walls would definitely work... like something brown or gray... it doesn’t have to be the same tone of color though, it can be different and still look good
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    In my opinion, I like nice clean white colors (which also makes the room look more spacious) ... but that’s just my style

For furniture it depends ... what’s your style... modern? Transitional?
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    I really think adding anything mirrored would look great with all those grayish hues in the room... like a mirrored cabinet or mirrored tables...
    But, again not sure if you would like that ...
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    When doing a room with all neutral colors... it is really fun to put the finishing touches on it, and add some color which really pops against the neutral colors

I know you would probably do this very last ,but a vase of bright fake peony flowers would look lovely...
  • 5 years ago
    I’m not really sure if I have a particular style, if I do... it’s not very good! Haha... I honestly am open to anything. I’m really struggling with what window treatments would look good here
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Also, it would look nice if you had nice paintings or framed prints on either side of the wall that has the opening to fill up blank space

I would put the frames symmetrically on each side to tie everything together

Or if you like asymmetrical, you could also do that as well...
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Dark brown furniture also looks really nice against those colors...
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    You’ll get there eventually, they have a lot of great ideas on Houzz!!

I would say a nice clean look for the window curtains... maybe contemporary?
  • 5 years ago

Kate: YES you do have style, look at the ideas you have saved! There is a wonderful style there, a bit modern and perhaps a touch of mid-century. Clean lines and a touch of bold color. Use those ideas to inspire the design direction you want to take.

Design is not about what is "popular" or what others want you to put into a room, it is about what makes you feel good when you walk into your home. That is different for every person. Find that inspiration for your self and then the others here can help you make that vision come true.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    I think some clean looking shades like this would look nice with that type of window ... one that goes up and down with a remote and covers the entire window (when down) or one that is manual

They have different shades with textures and patterns that could make the room more interesting... if your into patterned shades
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Yes I agree with that, if you see something that makes you excited inside go with it!!
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It's a very nice bright space, which can be divided into two zones. If the living room space is for TV watching, then put a sofa under the windows facing the side wall and float two comfortable armchairs to face the fireplace with a little table in between. Or 2-3 club chairs arranged around a round coffee table since the space is small. Anchor everything with a rug. If you're not planning to watch TV in that space, then float a sofa to face the fireplace with two armchairs in the corners flanking the fireplace. The back of the sofa will create an "entryway" into your living space.

Paran Valley kitchen · More Info

For the dining area, get a large round table with leaves (for when you have company) since the space is narrow. Get dining chairs that are fairly straight up, not too bulky or oversized. , again so you have space around them--at least 3' in back of each dining chair.

Here are some good design principles:

--If you want to have something beautiful to look at and set a mood in your living space, start with art. Many people pick any old art, if they choose it at all, to match rugs and furnishings. If you find lovely art, pull your color palette from the art. And you can mix patterns--art work and a rug, for example. In this painting, you could have then go on to choose a charcoal sofa and gray and gold chair.

Pathway Art · More Info

Well Woven Mystic Alvin Modern Geometric Gold 7'10"x9'10" Area Rug · More Info

How to pick the right-size sofa. (So many Design Dilemmas are written by people who bought oversized, overly padded black or brown leather sofas. Don't do that). Get good measurements by putting tape down on the floor. Things like overly upholstered arms and back can overwhelm an average sized room. If you're hankering for a leather sofa, a camel leather up on legs, but very comfy is a great choice.

--https://blog.apt2b.com/choose-right-sofa-size/

--Ideal measurements for living room layouts.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/key-measurements-for-your-living-room-stsetivw-vs~25889785[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/key-measurements-for-your-living-room-stsetivw-vs~25889785)

--Ideal measurements for hanging art.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/beautiful-new-painting-now-what-artful-hanging-tips-for-the-home-stsetivw-vs~13670[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/beautiful-new-painting-now-what-artful-hanging-tips-for-the-home-stsetivw-vs~13670)

--Ideal measurements for dining area and hanging pendant overhead.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/key-measurements-for-planning-the-perfect-dining-room-stsetivw-vs~25889832[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/key-measurements-for-planning-the-perfect-dining-room-stsetivw-vs~25889832)

Contrasts make a room lively and dynamic. If you have a dark wood dining table, then lighter, modern chairs with the same wood finish on the legs as the table will "go" with the table but offer contrast. A large leather sofa can be paired with chairs and a coffee table up on legs. (Too many people buy big, matching pieces that weigh down a room.) Anyway, figure out the size furniture you need, the best layout for the room, and look for pieces that work, not the other way around. Bring measurements to the store. Don't buy anything that doesn't in some way connect to your floor color, space, existing furnishings by color or finish. The eye should pick up color or style patterns as you enter a room. Good luck!

• 5 years ago

A coordinating living area: