Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

I think I hate my chandelier

I think I made a wrong choice with my dining room chandelier.

I also don’t love the frame on my dining room mirror (although I do like the size of the mirror).

Any suggestions for a chandelier or pendant that is less- I don’t know-girly? Maybe something more modern? Some brass would be nice. And/Or some black. Worst comes to worst I guess I’ll paint it black or bronze.. or brasa

Also can anybody suggest a different frame or an idea to work with the frame for my mirror? (Please don’t try to talk me out of having the mirror though, I have to keep it!)

Comments (55)

• 5 years ago
    Also I would go for a darker tone on your chandelier, like you said brass or bronze. I think you need the fixture to be super special. You need a focal point to anchor your space and I think that’ll be it! Then add some similar colored decorations to the table like a runner and like a candelabra or candlesticks!
    Corinne Masterson thanked Jamie Thomas
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

^ Mid century modern is a funny style- I initially hated it, then I hate/loved it, now I feel like I’m drawn to it no matter what I do (some aspects of it at least.. in small doses).

I was thinking of linear chandeliers but then i started thinking about doing more than one single pendant in a line- I fear with the more boxy linear chandeliers I start moving into more of a farmhouse look

Wsimons yes like those sort of! So of that style- I go back and forth on fabric shades on chandeliers & how I feel about them

Also did I mention I so appreciate everybody’s input I’m reading everything

• 5 years ago

I was just about to suggest hanging the mirror horizontally as well. You could put a narrow sideboard under it perhaps.

Corinne Masterson thanked Kim
  • 5 years ago

^ perhaps I will move the mirror horizontally— maybe I’ll feel like it more once I actually like my light fixture lol

but there is no room for a sideboard- the photo may be deceiving but it is TINY in there lol

• PRO
    5 years ago

I was going to say the same. move the mirror to the wall behind the table and hang it horizontally. (not too high. Floor to the middle of the mirror should be in the 5' range) Like this one

Or like they've done here (this mirror could be lowered a few inches). I like how the darker wall color provides contrast w/the mirror and the wainscot

I like the chandy, you just need other elements in the room.

a wainscot w/a darker color above could be nice

darker wall color

Corinne Masterson thanked Beth H. :
  • 5 years ago

I don't have too much to say...I like both the mirror and fixture. I like the above inspiration with the dark walls, but I think your wall color looks nice. Maybe if you add a few accents/décor you'll feel better about it. I picture something low on your table with some greenery to add a little contrast.

Corinne Masterson thanked always1stepbehind
  • 5 years ago

@Corinne Masterson If you've never visited this blog, https://fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com/

it's worth a look. You might get some great inspiration. And as you look through her rooms and beautiful photos you'll see lots of eclectic chandeliers.

Corinne Masterson thanked missenigma
  • PRO
    5 years ago

You can do the Gustavian Dining Style, but the mirror seems too large and there should be 3ft minimum from the edge of the table to the wall. I don't think you have that. The style of the chandelier works with what you are attempting to do. Now get the sizes of things correct.

• 5 years ago
    following
    Corinne Masterson thanked J J
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    You can keep the mirror but not in the dining room. Sorry. You would be much better off with art on that wall. Get slip covers in a plain duck cloth for the chair backs and that will help link with the chandelier. Some colorful ginger jars on the table to coordinate with art colors is all you need.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Just playing with your room.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Better mirror
  • 5 years ago

Why not try your very nice one? Maybe art with soft flowers in neutral [ok maybe Ikea-looking] -- and it seems transitional, if that helps...

Marmont Hill MH-ROBDIC-126-C-45 Art Print Wall Decor, 45"x30" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/marmont-hill-mh-robdic-126-c-45-art-print-wall-decor-45x30-prvw-vr~115786654

• 5 years ago

I guess trying to say it'll look better to you, and more modern, if the wall has contrast "behind" the chandelier. Try tacking fabrics there to see....!

• 5 years ago

Could be 'busy' but thinking of a feminine color to echo the chandelier -- but in an abstract... not girly look.

"Testarossa" Artwork · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/testarossa-artwork-prvw-vr~31578836

Corinne Masterson thanked everdebz
  • 5 years ago

I like your chandelier...

I have a 12 light chandelier that was solid brass. I wanted an antique bronze one,

however, I couldn’t part with this chandelier cause I loved it.

So, we took it outside sprayed it

with Rustoleum antique hammered bronze. I bought 12 white shades, sprayed the

insides gold, and with a few coats of craft paint painted the outsides of the shades.

It’s been about 12 or more years that we did this and it still looks great.

Before you trash your chaddy, try spray painting it to give it more of a masculine

look... seriously, it needs to make more of a presence in the room.

I like your mirror as well. Hang it higher and horizontally. I also painted a mirror

that hangs in my foyer. I used craft paint and also some dark stain.

Get a nice table arrangement, and you’ll have a new look.

I’m not a pro.

Corinne Masterson thanked cliff_and_joann
  • 5 years ago

^ You sold me on spraying my chandelier. That’s exactly it, I want something more masculine. Now my biggest concern is black or brass. My only concern with spraying it bronze is that id like to have other brass elements in the room eventually & I am afraid they will clash. But maybe bronze and brass together is ok? I think I lean more towards black and brass as a combination..

• 5 years ago

Everdebz I desperately need artwork. That’s been on my agenda for far too long. What defines a masculine look for artwork?

• 5 years ago

Mixed metals are fine together. I have rubbed bronze light fixtures, one big solid dark bronze drum, and a floor lamp in antique brass, the cabinet pulls are sarin nickel. And it looks very nice. The trick I think is to stay satin or brushed when mixing metals.

Corinne Masterson thanked Sandra Martin
  • PRO
    5 years ago

That chandelier has a special finish that goes with the design. It is French in styling and very beautiful. I would not recommend spray painting it. It will ruin the look. Sell it and purchase something you like better. That style is very popular right now and you can get most of your investment back. Work on the mirror and tablescape first. If you put the mirror lengthwise, I fear it will look like the "last supper" in your dining room. It will emphasize the narrow length of the room. (Nothing against the last supper of course, just saying.) If you want it to stand out more, paint the end wall a more saturated color and hang art for a backdrop for the chandelier.

People are afraid of deep colors but when paired with light colors, like your chandelier and table and with chairs covered, it can be beautiful. I would also consider painting the ceiling a very pretty light blue. People forget the ceiling is another "wall". With that chandelier and blue ceiling would be stunning.

Corinne Masterson thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Here is another idea! What if you put a mural on that back wall to make it look like a outside view! Then the mirror on the side wall would reflect it and really open up the room. Kind of like this look (which is a real window) but to give you the concept. Lots of great murals out there, that are quite affordable.

• 5 years ago

C...I glad you decided to paint it. I’ll get you a pic tomorrow ( right now we’re

involved in a big project in the DR)

In the mean time get a real fun arrangement, some color would be uplifting.

Here is our arrangement....note the brass strips in our China cabinet.

the mirror on the back wall reflects the stained glass window on the

china cabinet wall. Everywhere you see gold on the fish - I painted it

with an enamel gold paint...(years ago) Our son bought it back for me

from a trip he took. It was a previously mint green.

Corinne Masterson thanked cliff_and_joann
  • 5 years ago

If you are set on painting it, you could paint it black and go over it lightly highlighting with bronze. I did that with a used fixture I found. It was white to begin with.

ETA: I went to look up your chandelier to see if it came in dark finish to get an idea of how it would. What about adding "heavy" bronze accent to the current vintage finish? Maybe that will be enough darkening it up for you.

Corinne Masterson thanked always1stepbehind
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Perhaps rather than spray painting it, you could start with getting some "Rub and Buff" (Hobby Lobby or Amazon has it) in black and doing the arms of the chandelier first to see if that works. You can also get Rub and Buff in metallic tones where you could do some more bronze on the main parts. Spray painting this will look cheap IMO.

• 5 years ago

C...I just took this pic...as I said we have some construction going on, so

this it - dust and all... We painted it in 2008.

• 5 years ago

Just chiming in to say if it's the color you don't like, it is easy enough to paint with spray paint. I did that with a chandelier at my last house, it was gaudy bright brass and I spray painted it black. I also did that with a wall hanging in reverse, it was black and I spray painted it bright gold.

Corinne Masterson thanked l pinkmountain
  • 5 years ago

I accidentally found this one on Pinterest and love it

• 5 years ago

I’m with Flo. As I said, I have the matching drum light and the essence of the piece is the lovely French style finish. Sell it and buy something else If you must; personally I think if you got the rest of the room in order, the fixture would be a standout as is.

Corinne Masterson thanked Rebecca
  • 5 years ago

I'm not a pro, but I agree that a more saturated wall color would do a lot for this room. I keep picturing something like BM Woodlawn Blue, a pretty runner and roses in a vase. Or, you could wallpaper one wall. You definitely need more visual interest. Good starting point though.

Corinne Masterson thanked domianj
  • 5 years ago

Tell what attracted you/yours to it. I copy your initial words: "less girly? Maybe something more modern?" https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/his-and-hers-analyzing-masculine-and-feminine-decor-193542

• 5 years ago

What particular feature -- opposite to sweet curvy chandelier -- will do it?

Another not French not historic...? metallic not necessary. :)

Oliver Gal "Amethyst Agate" Framed Canvas Art, 45"x30" · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/oliver-gal-amethyst-agate-framed-canvas-art-45x30-prvw-vr~109686396[(https://www.houzz.com/products/oliver-gal-amethyst-agate-framed-canvas-art-45x30-prvw-vr~109686396)

• 5 years ago

If you must have the mirror, please give it something to reflect.

Corinne Masterson thanked groveraxle
  • 5 years ago

Grover it took me a full minute to see what you did there lol

• 5 years ago

You like frame of mirror - you could choose art with same look, and wouldn't that still complement chandy, etc...??

• 5 years ago

.. how they say to decoupage magazine pages of flower art, etc.. and on a tray or 3 of them, to hang on the wall: use when needed?

[https://www.houzz.com/products/provence-square-serving-tray-prvw-vr~24887808[(https://www.houzz.com/products/provence-square-serving-tray-prvw-vr~24887808)

• 5 years ago

I'd LOVE to see that mirror antiqued. Would be very cool and add a little interest. It's a great mirror, but it's a little sterile, perhaps. And agree that the chandelier could use a little more character, too. Wooden chandelier might be neat. Sorry, below pic is a diff mirror style, but you get the pic re: the antiqued part...

Also, digging on the idea of painting either the chandelier arms OR the body black or a really dark charcoal. Oooo...or a really dusky matte navy (like so dark you have to ask people if it really looks navy blue). Or maybe a non-holiday chandelier wreath would be very cool. Like dried magnolia branches & leaves or boxwood & grapevine. Just thinking out of the box, here. You could have some fun and it wouldn't be permanent.

• 5 years ago

Red plates near chairs, but not too near:

• PRO
    5 years ago

A series of lanterns would look nice and more contemporary. I really don't mind the mirror at all!

Lantern Love · More Info

Lantern Love · More Info

Crystorama Sylvan 4-Light Chandelier, Large, Dark Bronze · More Info

• 5 years ago

Good feedback on this. I agree about turning the mirror and am wondering about putting it on the wall to the left - would that reflect the outdoors? Then you could put artwork on the wall where the mirror is now. I like the frame and I like your light fixture but just want to see more color and/or texture on the table, cushions and/or rug maybe. Would beefing up the crown molding help? Painting the table or chairs?

• 5 years ago
    I'd turn that mirror long-winded and find a slip buffet table to put under it.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    What about doing a wallpaper mural that comes around corners? This would visually expand the room.
  • 5 years ago

Idk what the mirror would add however it's hung... sorry.

• 5 years ago

Your table and chairs are French Country, and the chandelier is Shabby Chic French Provincial. The mirror frame is Hollywood Glam. Maybe you could paint the chandelier a soft yellow and use a stain to make it "antiqued?" That would make it go with the dining room set more. Oh, and take off any baubles. Less is more.

I would remove the mirror altogether. No one likes to watch themselves eating. Use the mirror in the master bedroom as a "leaner" full-length. The silver frame would probably "go" in there better.

• 5 years ago

Beach style all mixed up with silver leaf ceiling.... lamp base in weathered white. 8" x 12" rectangular natural-colored linen shades. 24" H

Compo Beach Residence · More Info

Avignon Table Lamps, Set of 2 · More Info

Compo Beach Residence · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/compo-beach-residence-new-york-phvw-vp~46105029[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/compo-beach-residence-new-york-phvw-vp~46105029)

[https://www.houzz.com/products/avignon-table-lamps-set-of-2-prvw-vr~34281218[(https://www.houzz.com/products/avignon-table-lamps-set-of-2-prvw-vr~34281218)

• PRO
    5 years ago

Here some idea for you, more contemporary, the finishing can be customized, we can do in different colours, from white bright to copper.

More photos or projects on our houzz profile or web site www.razzetti-italy.com

Best regards

• PRO
    5 years ago

here some option of ceramic and porcelain chandelier, that can be customized in finishing, sizes and colour, from bright white to copper,