Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyryankoch

Roof stains. Something I've noticed lately

4 years ago

I've noticed something lately, mostly on lighter colored asphalt shingle roofs. Darker staining that is more noticeable on lighter roofs are not stained below vent pipes, I assume are aluminum and/or galvanized. It's very obvious it's from rain hitting the aluminum vents then running down roof is what does this. I've heard that some southern humid area homes use copper strips to help deter moss growth. Would applying a aluminum strip at top of roofs stop staining or even deterioration of roofs in other climates or anywhere really. Was this ever done in the past. It can't add too much to cost to keep staining down to apply a strip of aluminium. Maybe a new use for our soda cans.... just kidding, kind of.
Anyone seen this done?

Comments (4)

• 4 years ago

I have not seen it done and I don't really think it would keep the staining down. Our last house we were talked into a white roof when we built. It only looked good for a few years. It was stained from just the air pollution in the rain and snow. Expecially where one downspout ran onto a lower roof.

Izzy Mn thanked functionthenlook
  • 4 years ago

I dont think it is always from a vent pipe. Several years ago, there was a brand new house built up the road from where we lived at the time. Within a year, the front of the roof (never could see the back), was badly stained. No vents on the front side of the roof, so couldnt possibly be from that. All light colored roof, show the same staining after a while, when they are asphalt shingles. I dont see that staining on darker roofs. Light roofs look old at 5 yrs, while darker ones still look pretty good at 15 yrs.

Izzy Mn thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Most discoloration is a type of mold that forms due to humidity. It can be removed and preventatives applied to help reduce it growth. It appears to be staining from pipes but it is most likely because greater dampness is maintained in those areas and it keeps environment prime for this growth. Some Shingle companies are making shingles that resist this growth. Get a professional who can clean roof about every other year depending on your environment with non-clorox type cleaner being careful to not power wash off too much of actual grains from shingles. Check with manufacturer of your shingles to get their recommendations so you don’t void any warranty you might have.

Izzy Mn thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Here is actual name of this algae which forms on roofs in humid environments.

Izzy Mn thanked Flo Mangan