Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

What’s your rule of thumb for mixing traditional and modern?

I usually think big to small from traditional to modern. So my anchor pieces are traditional and I fit in modern accents after the fact.

The only place I’m having trouble applying this is in bedrooms.

Anybody have a better approach?

Comments (9)

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There are no rules for such things. Even your rule isn't a rule. It's your home; you are the only one you have to please.

Corinne Masterson thanked tatts
  • 4 years ago

I'm likely to do the opposite: clean lines for major furniture but more intricate patterns and detail on rugs, light fixtures, and so on. Do what you want.

Corinne Masterson thanked Robbin Capers
  • 4 years ago

I am so sorry, I can think of no rule. It's a matter of balance and taste for me. One thing is sure, I don't force any decisions. Once I have a furniture plan ad oclor scheme chosen for the room, I allow things to appear in their own sweet time.

Corinne Masterson thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't approach a space like that. At all. I am curious about what you mean.... can you share an example? As for rules, I I guess it mostly just comes down to what I like and what I'm willing to spend.

Corinne Masterson thanked hollybar
  • PRO
    4 years ago

I am the exact opposite. Use all modern furnishings and then throw in a traditional accent here and there for spice in the room like the lamps and ceramic pieces.

Corinne Masterson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 4 years ago

Follow your eye to achieve balance. From your bedroom description, I would add modern lighting (bedside or ceiling, but not both) and a large abstract painting. Without seeing the room it is hard to be more exact.

Corinne Masterson thanked Allison0704
  • PRO
    4 years ago

What bedroom description we need pictures of the bedroom but I tend to go modern for the major pieces and then add some more traditional if I find something awesome.

Corinne Masterson thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

I am sorry about going awol on this post! I had a rough week.

For those who couldn’t answer- I’m sorry I didn’t mean to imply there was a hard and fast rule, I just am a very rules oriented thinker. Creativity doesn’t come very naturally to me so I need something to build on when I start a project!

hollybar- Bev & Patricia answered your question better than I could have, I think. I mostly just meant which do you start with, modern or traditional pieces?

Bev & Patricia thank you!! I’m so glad I posted this because I would have assumed that only the opposite is possible. Traditional first and modern last.

like for example,

* traditional architecture tends to work with anything

* traditional couch works with a modern coffee table

* traditional table works with modern chairs

* modern lighting tends to work in traditional spaces

Bev your photos totally changed my perspective!

Which are the modern aspects in the first photo? I don’t have a very good eye always for that kind of detail. I see mostly traditional