Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_372954351

Help! We have different flooring throughout - Flooring?

4 years ago

Just bought a new (old) home and we are having a problem deciding if we should sand down the existing hardwood (which is older, small planks) or put new wide plank wood flooring. Here's the issue:

Carpet on stairs going upstairs. Carpet upstairs. Same carpet leading to finished basement. Finished basement currently has peel and stick (has to be removed). Flooring throughout rest of house is older hardwood and in the kitchen is also peel and stick (needs to be removed). What's better?

1. New Pergo flooring throughout to maintain consistency

2. Carpet in basement?

3. New small hardwood planks in kitchen and basement to match rest of house but now match the colors (sand down old and finish it all the same).

Help! What's the best option here?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A sand on site hardwood will outlast you. The answer depends your budget, and if you can live with a narrower plank. You CAN add a wider plank to new areas, matching wood species and sanding/staining all to same. But I wouldn't create a large disparity in plank size, ( strip and a five inch for example ) and certainly not a change in species.

A basement need not match a first floor in any way. A second floor? Also need not match the first floor. Over time, a hardwood, pre finished or sand on site and area rugs is my own favorite. Just as much warmth where needed, unity in the "base" allowing for decor changes to suit growing kids or your own master bedroom, and never having to suffer the rip out of an edge to edge carpet up the road. Bedroom and closets get dirtier than any other area in your home. It's where you spend the most time in bare feet, leaving behind oils that attract dust to be ground in. Cleaning ? Certainly ! But over time............UGH.

Pergo anything? Nope. Not on a first or second floor. A pre finished 3/4 inch hardwood? Fine.

• PRO
    4 years ago

IMO since you already have some hardwood in a narrow plank I would try to match the plank size with the same species of wood and use that all through the main floor and the stairs going up have the old and new finished to match. There are tons of Vinyl plank that do not look like wood and that is what I would use in the basement and if you can afford it I would do the bedrooms in the same wood flooring as the main and use area rugs for a much more clean environment. I would leave the peel and stick flooring in place unless you know for sure it is not asbestos.

• 4 years ago

I agree with Jan. We had a very similar situation as you with some 2 1/4” prefinished hardwood on the first floor and carpet everywhere else, basement unfinished. We ripped out all carpet and hardwood and put in 4” site finished white oak in phases, 1st floor then second floor and stairs. We use nice area rugs everywhere. I personally love the look and flexibility. We recently did the basement, and put real wood stairs and LVP for the rest, again with big area rugs... nice thick ones with nice underpads. Very cozy! Love it all!

• 4 years ago

If the existing wood is in good condition, keep it.

• 4 years ago

@davidsh

• PRO
    4 years ago

Option #3 would be my choice unless you have the budget for new wide plank throughout.