Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2200017

Need to hide floors to sell!

4 years ago

I made a poor flooring choice 13 yrs ago and now want to sell a house with awful floors. It’s way too expensive to replace it. Any advice from designers on how to camouflage it? Desperate for ideas!

Comments (28)

• 4 years ago

Really, they aren't that bad! They seem to go with the room. You might get a simple design rug to place in the eating nook, or two longer runners for either side of the island.

• 4 years ago

There is no hiding. Just price it right and it will sell. The buyer that doesn’t mind renovating will expect a fair discount. The buyer that likes them as you did years ago will snatch up your well priced home. Good luck with your sale!

• 4 years ago

Good point. Learned my lesson on the importance of contrast a little too late.

• 4 years ago

The tile goes with the style of your house (cabinets, juliet balcony, etc.). A nice round rug in the breakfast nook would look nice and finish that space. No need to try and "hide" anything. Good luck with selling!

• 4 years ago

I think your floors are quite nice! I think your house could use a fresh coat of paint in a lighter colour and some staging, not a new floor. Start by removing the interior window boxes...

• 4 years ago

Is it just in the kitchen and the breakfast room (or is that the dining room)??
    Take precise measurements and go to a quality flooring store for estimates (materials and labor) on replacing the tile with a nicer tile or hardwood. Ask a price appropriate for a home like yours in the neighborhood. When someone wants to buy the house they will ask for a discount, and you will have approximate numbers to give them. If they don’t ask, don’t volunteer the information.

• 4 years ago

The tile is in the kitchen, laundry and hall to the garage. Basically high traffic areas. I’ve struggled with offering a flooring allowance out right just in case there’s ONE person that may like the tile but good idea to have a number on hand just in case.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Don't sweat the floors. Potential buyers will end up being more concerned about how much it will cost them to cover over your gold wall paint.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You can install Pergo laminate flooring on top of your flooring if it's even. If not, unfortunately, it needs to be removed for cheaper flooring to be installed. We think it looks great as is.

• 4 years ago

It looks just fine. If you feel you have to do something, have it professionally cleaned and sealed.

• 4 years ago

To be brutally honest, the flooring wouldn't be as big a deterrent to me as some of the other features. I wouldn't worry about them. I would strip back decorative items and plants to the bare minimum.

• 4 years ago

This is a pic before we decluttered. Most of the items are gone. Just put the best pics I had of the floors.

• 4 years ago

Fabulous windows and looks like fabulous exterior view! I probably would not notice the floor, or other features that I might dislike quite so much, because I would be so entranced by the windows LOL.

• 4 years ago

Let’s hope buyers do the same! There are a lot of nice trim details on the ceilings so maybe that’ll keep their eyes up. Lol!

• 4 years ago

You’ve already decluttered, I would do another thing. Someone will love your house and it will sell as long as it’s priced right. Love the view from the eating area!

• 4 years ago

My guess is that new owners will want to remodel the kitchen for a better layout anyway, so just make sure everything is clean, simplified and orderly. I have to ask; what kind of rooms are behind all that Juliette balcony and the bulkheads. If I were viewing the home, that's where I'd start my remodel.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The floors are one of the better parts about the house. Price it for the complete gut that it is, and don’t sweat doing nutso things like hiding it under disposable flooring. That would only be more $$ to take off the price.

Now, if you want to do some flip remodeling to get it to not sell as a gut, that might could happen. It depends on the price range, location, and how handy you are. The less handy you are, the lower you need to price it though. The handier you are, the more you can create resale appeal. Start with eliminating that weird balcony.

• 4 years ago

I would not change the flooring. I would walk through the house like a potential buyer, looking for anything that makes the house appear to be in disrepair. Most people are okay with cosmetic changes in a well maintained home. Most people are scared and start lowering the price in their head if they see anything they perceive as disrepair. Water stains on a ceiling, chipped paint, nail holes in walls, bugs inside light fixtures, discolored or missing grout in a bathroom. . . anything that is dusty, dirty, overgrown. These things cost little or nothing to hide/repair and will make the potential buyer feel safe to make an offer on a home that has been loved and cared for over the years.

I do strongly recommend is that you go out with an open mind and look at the other homes in your neighborhood that have sold and compare them to your house before determining a price. Ask your realtor to take you to the 10 closest homes in your area that close to the list price your realtor recommends and look at the houses. The house that sells is the best house for the money.

Decide if you are at the right price point, decide if painting or some other small updates are worth doing to get the price you want. Anything bigger than paint (like flooring) will cost you more to change out than you will get back in sale price. Just adjust the price down until your house is the best home for the money.

Also look up the last 10 houses that your realtor listed that have sold. Look at the original list price and any reductions that happened before the sale. Did it start high and have to be adjusted down to sell? Did they sit on the market for months before selling? Any realtor will have a few clients that insist on too high of a list price, so one or two of the last 10 may be because the owner wanted the high price, but if it is consistent, the realtor is getting listing by offering pie in the sky prices and then failing to sell the houses at that higher price point.

Realtors will often give a high list price to get a listing, then come back and ask you to lower the list price when you sell. Do not over price the original listing, once the listing has sat for a few months you can guarantee a low ball price and there is nothing you can do to recover from too high of a starting list price.

Some other listing advice - help your realtor sell your home - tell him/her why you bought the house, what you loved about the house, all the things that make your home special. Have the realtor write the description and read it before the house is listed. Make sure the message sells your home.

Check the pictures of your house before and after they are posted to the internet. Good pictures really help sell your home. Bad pictures or pictures loaded sideways or upside down are huge negatives. I have found that taking pictures of the front of the house from the second or third step up on a ladder are better than standing on the ground, inside I generally would get up on the first step of a step stool. I don't know why this works better, but the pictures really do look nicer with a bit of added height.

Good luck with selling your home. It looks like a beautiful home that will bring joy to a new family.

• 4 years ago

Don't forget to close the toilets! Can't believe how many "realtors" forget that!

• 4 years ago

I think they are cool. Pretty house.

• 4 years ago

I really like your floors. If I were looking at your home to purchase, I’d be very happy with the way they match the style of the kitchen. Lovely.

• PRO
    4 years ago

The flooring can work!

The terracotta tile compliments some of the more hacienda architectural features in your home. Throwing a couple of simple jute area rugs down will help to alleviate the mass of the descript flooring, however, and may help develop an appeal to a broader spectrum of potential buyers.

Best of luck to you!

• 4 years ago

I love the tile floor, so much nicer than the ubiquitous woods everyone is now using. Those odd windows and fake balcony are another story.

• 4 years ago

I expected to see some terrible looking floors when I opened this post. They're not bad at all! I don't think you need to cover them up.

I would add a rug under the table to bring in some texture (and I generally don't care for rugs under tables).

I am a bit confused about the windows and balcony overlooking your kitchen though...

• 4 years ago

Those are HIGH VALUE floors! Don't do ANYTHING! A Versailles Pattern tile install is SUPER expensive.

Your home is an interesting place! I wouldn't do a darn thing! Someone will love it for what it is. and if they want to rip out an expensive floor to put down something nasty then let them foot the bill.

• 4 years ago

I agree with some of the others, I like the floors. Removing The fake plants and Knick-knacks on the cabinets would help a lot To update the space.

If you wanted to do anything, toning down the gold wall color would be a better place to start than hiding the floors.

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just remember that a home for sale doesn’t belong to you, so don’t take comments personally. You will get a wide variety of opinions about its appearance and value. Remodeling for sale generally loses money, unless the issue is a sore point for over 60% of your potential buyers. The floors are more than fine! Yes, there are other tweaks that could be fine that would have better return in value than a floor replacement. If you were willing to do something that invasive and expensive, perhaps you could explore doing some of those tweaks. Like a different paint, more lighting, and possibly removing the balcony, and definitely the window boxes. All of those changes would be less than a flooring replacement, and would create a bit more 2020 appearance.