Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
445_doheny

My Regan order- late or never?

4 years ago

Hello all,

In December I ordered a Lavender Crush from Regan. Today I received an email saying

“Yes, we know we are late and we apologize!

In some cases the roses have not yet arrived from our growers. Please be assured we are working as hard as we can to get your roses to your garden.”

The email went on to tell me to dig a hole for the rose, and how to dig it ...

This was a form email, unspecific to my order.

No mention of when the rose would actually arrive — if it ever does.

Suggestions?

i thought this was a mealy-mouthed communication and more annoying than not.

All my other roses have arrived, except for my Burling order, and I know she is sending them out on 3/2.

I’ll call Regan tomorrow.Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks,

Sylvia

Comments (22)

• 4 years ago

Sylvia , do you have a sams club membership? They had them as recently as last Thursday for $9. I’d look and buy it in person for much less and get a refund . Otherwise I’m sure you can wait but I’d want it in the ground very soon !

Sylvia Wendel thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 4 years ago

Hm, I’ve never been in a Sams Club but there is one near me. Maybe I’ll check it out. We are Costco members but I don’t like going there — never have the brands/products we want, and quantities are ridiculous for two empty-nesters like us.

Does Sams offer anything like a day pass?

• 4 years ago

I haven't gotten my order but I think that I requested March. I can't remember that far back.

I am pretty anxious to get them in the ground as well. Who knew that it would be in the 60s in February

Good luck Sylvia. I tried calling to find out the arrival date and they said that I had to get a hold of Maria and I never heard back from her

I know that they really busy. but??

Sylvia Wendel thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 4 years ago

Kristine, your phone experience with Regan gives me pause. I’ve ordered from them before and never had a problem.

Lavender Crush is the last non-mini I’ve ordered this year. My Love Songs and Our Lady of Guadalupes went into the ground this week; I need LC to go behind them, between two Moonstones, on the wall.

Talk about premature summer — it was in the 80s today. We had a sprinkler issue, but fortunately DH solved it, and watering on the usual schedule will recommence. I had to water by hand this week and didn’t like it — and that’s with only 25 or so roses! I don’t know how I ever managed at the old place, where I had around 50 before we put in drip. That 50 grew to 65 before we moved, btw ..

I want LC, and I want it now. Never did well with that whole “patience” thing. I was an “are we there yet?” kind of kid. Amazed my parents ever put up with me!

• 4 years ago

I also got that email, this is my first time ordering from them. Right now I have other new ones coming to keep me distracted so I’m not going to worry about it but I will post here when I do get them!

• 4 years ago

mine came. It took a while because Julie Andrews was late in coming. My experience with them has been good. I live about 30 minutes drive, so I go there a few times per year.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sylvia, Regan is always a great bare root rose vendor for me.

I wonder if last year weather had some negative impacts to some rose growers that PalatineRoses had to cancel many roses or shipped the roses at a grade lower than grade 1. Hortico also cancelled some of their roses. The bare root roses I received from David Austin also are smaller than last year's ones. I received Regan’s roses, but many of the roses look smaller than previous year's bare roots. Furthermore, if I remember correctly Lavender Crush got sold out really quick, then later Regan had a few more to sell, so to get Lavender Crush you will need some patience. However, if you find any LC locally at a good price, you should get it and cancel LC with Regan so you don’t have to wait.

Personally, if a rose is commonly available as body bag, I don't order it from above vendors or other online vendors because why pay $20+ and shipping and wait for the rose instead of just pay $10 to have the rose right away? So if these online vendors have had a history of sending out good roses and just sent out smaller roses this year, I'd rather they sent out the smaller roses instead of cancelling the order.

PalatineRoses has an excellent way of dealing with this situation. They sent out emails let their customers know that some of the roses will be smaller than grade 1 and asked if the customers want to receive the smaller roses at the a lower price or cancel the order. I remembered not many people in this forum cancel their Palatine rose orders because of the smaller size issue. Most of us feel lucky to be in a group that could receive smaller roses. Many didn't even have that option.

I received some PalatineRoses last year that are smaller size than grade 1 at no discount price, and I'm happy that they had some roses to send to me. I had some roses cancelled by Palatine because they didn't even have the smaller-size roses to send to me. I blamed it on asking them to add another rose to my order a few days after placing my order, so my order number was pushed back in the queue of people who could receive the limited smaller-size roses, lol. It's not easy to find those roses at US nurseries, and small roses will catch up to size quickly, so I'd rather have these special roses than not :) Helen

Helen

Sylvia Wendel thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 4 years ago

Hi sylvia someone I know ordered Eden from Regan and they told her it’s gonna be late. She is still waiting too. I have always been very happy with the quality of bareroot roses from Regan. it seems some roses come later than usual this year. But you ll be very happy when you get your lavender crush!

Sylvia Wendel thanked Oliver (SF 9A)
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This just happened to me with Regan as well. I had Raspberry Cream Twirls ordered. This is my first time ordering from them. I heard they were good. Now I don't know what to think!

If I dont get the RCTs soon, it looks like Mel's Heritage will be on that arch with my original RCT that I moved there. Maybe I should have just ordered them from etsy 🤨

Sylvia Wendel thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 4 years ago

Kristine, it's a busy time of the year so someone may forget to pass on your message. You can send them an email and also call to make sure your message reach the person who can answer it. Helen

Sylvia Wendel thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure that I requested March so I am not worried yet. I have gotten some of my best roses from them so I will be patient. But I can see that being in Zone 9 or 10 you would be anxious to get those roses in the ground .

Sylvia Wendel thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 4 years ago

Sylvia , I’ve been a member of both and sams is infinitly better than Costco ! I only have Costco bc our sams in Tennessee closed but here we have both . I would call , Ive recently called to ask if my favorite flower pot was in stock and the gentleman took me to the department on his phone until he found what I needed , then if they do have it you can ask about the one day membership? It’s only $45 I think and Groupon often has a deal where you get a gift card back for joining .

Or I think I’ve seen you pay a ten percent upcharge if not a member, that was years ago but would only be a dollar more for the rose !

• 4 years ago

Hey Lilyfinch, now I'm curious....what is your favorite flower pot?

:)

Sylvia Wendel thanked Grace Carroll Zone 10a
  • 4 years ago

Nice pots! I just saw similar pots as in pic 4 at BJ’s for $16.99 Last night.

I am wondering if the grower for Regan is located in China. I heard many Chinese farmers grow roses now, they export them for good profits. Now with the Coronavirus going on, the shipment of all goods have been delayed. I ordered some electrical stuff from China in Jan, just received it last week.

Sylvia Wendel thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 4 years ago

Well if that’s true summers I want to get my hands on some of those unusual roses they have!! Although my favorite unique roses seem to be posted from Japan and Vietnam . I’m not sure what the ag regulations are . I wish we could get all the worlds roses !!

• 4 years ago

Maybe there is a hope for importing roses from China. I am working on a project, waiting for coronavirus to pass to contact a Chinese rose breeder. Where did you see Japanese and Vietnam roses on the forum? I have some good friends in Japan who married into Japanese families. It won’t be cheap to import anything from Japan though. Everything is pretty expensive over there.

• 4 years ago

Forgot to say, I love those classic patio chairs! :-)

• 4 years ago

Oh thanks summers! I love my chairs so much . Oh I longed for them for years in Tennessee. The first time I saw one, was passing by an antique store . It was outside with a $85 tag on it . I just couldn’t decide as it’s such an impractical frivolous chair but I imagined it as my “queen of the garden “ chair. Went back the next day and it was gone! I then found a set , but couldn’t get it in my little Hybrid Ford Fusion . Sad I had to walk away . Finally we had gotten an SuV , and I found a set in perfect condition for only $50 for the pair !! They are my pride and joy . Hurt your bottom like crazy and make you sit strait as a board but aren’t they purdy?! 😂

anyway... are you on Instagram? I find all my unique roses on there. A few people I chat lightly with , it’s so delightful and amazing to communicate with people all over the world . I love it !!

If you are on Instagram I’m jen.lynn.r :)

• 4 years ago

Hi all , apologies for not responding sooner but the last few days have been busy.

I received my Lavender Crush today and it’s soaking in a tub. Bad timing — we were just going out the door when it was delivered, so I couldn’t unpack it for around 4.5 hours. Hope that won’t hurt-?

We may have rain tonight, but I hope to get it in the ground no later than Wednesday.

This was not my first Regan order and they are a very reliable supplier, I think.

lilyfinch, if I get a chance I will check out Sam’s. I usually go to Walmart for bulk paper goods and things like that, but your description of Sam’s service intrigues me.

thanks again!

• 4 years ago

Sylvia, I am glad you received your rose! Happy planting! :-) That’s a pretty rose.

Lily, I have to look for a pair chairs like yours.next time we‘re down south. I am wondering that’s a southern style , I haven’t seen anything like that up north around here. What a good deal! I love antiques too. I found an antique this weekend. will take a pic to show you tomorrow.. I am not on FB, Instagram, Houzz is the only place

I stop in. :-)

• 4 years ago

Sylvia , I’ve been super pleased with their service . Costco feels like a cattle herding service . So impersonal, no one ever ever helps or offers unless you stop them in their tracks . When I go to sams I am offered help to my car if my load seems big and if they don’t offer I ask and they are so happy to do so. Those bags of soil get so heavy after a while ! When I found the white pots , a girl had just cranked the pallet out from the back . I gasped and said oh my gosh how much are those ? She happily unwrapped them , scanned it , and went and got me a flat bed , loaded it for me and took it to the front since I had my baby in a cart ! That’s service !!! I love sams club !!

Summers , they are popular in the south, or where when they were made !!

I do follow someone in Ny who has the matching settee!! What a find . I’d be so thrilled if I found one . Here’s a snap of hers . There is some amazing garden inspiration on Instagram!