Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubreesm

White Dove for fireplace trim?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Getting new fireplace. Looking to paint new mantel and surround in dove white. Walls are Dufferin Terrace. Room faces south With lots of trees in back. Tiles will be greys, Taupes, creams, as photo kind of shows. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    3 years ago

The same as the rest of the trim and IMO that FP would be better with just no trim , no mantel and the facing all the way to the ceiling and to the edges of the wall.

aubreesm thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 3 years ago

Thank you Patricia. i have considered that idea. Any thoughts on colour tile to go with walls which are Dufferin Terrace? Shiny or matte? Appreciate your input.

• PRO
    3 years ago

agree. that mantle is funky looking.

I'd also remove the dated gold insert. do you really need it? if so, use the heat proof matte black rustoleum spray and cover it.

I'd like the tile to go all the way up, and maybe a wood beam mantle across the front.

here are some examples of tiled corner fireplaces

I like this one the best. I know you can't have a hearth like this, but do a nice floor insert

12x24 tiles. notice the install

• PRO
    3 years ago

A few more ideas.

aubreesm thanked Flo Mangan
  • 3 years ago

There will be a totally new fireplace..everything there will go. what do you think of this? Still not sure what colour? Have to consider wall colour and floor colour?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Sorry that one picture got cut off. With your wall color I would go whiter and lighter. Not beige. Then if you change wall color down the road, you will have more options.

• PRO
    3 years ago

In that last photo what I like is how the mantel dead ends into wall. That is more difficult to do but looks really cool.

• PRO
    3 years ago

you don' t have to pick a tan tile.

what color is your furniture?

rugs?

window coverings?

any art that goes on the wall?

Is that gray wall color staying? it might be the photo, but it appears to lean a little on the lavender side of gray.

So, when picking a tile, you want to consider all of that since it will become a permanent fixture in your decor ideas.

This tile is nice. but just keep in mind that when it all goes up, it's a busy pattern. So if everything else in your room is solid colors, it will work. if you plan on having a lot of patterns and movement w/your other decor, this tile may be a bit too much.

one option is to do a skim coat and go very neutral

Or, pick a natural stone in a somewhat solid color. doing something like this will work with just about any type of furniture or color

do a smaller tile. I love the look of this one

a more modern, 12x24 tile. a vein cut natural stone would give you this look

tiling just the surround, and doing a type of trim or ship lap above it.

how high up does the ceiling go?

were you planning on tile all the way? stopping part way and doing art or something else?

are you open to diff types of tile?

need more info

Flo, her corner wall is very flat. if she wanted to do a corner fireplace like your last picture, they'd have to incorporate the adjoining walls in order to get that 'corner shelf'.

here's the paint for the insert

• 3 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much! Wall is Dufferin Terrace. Hope to keep it. Cream leather sofa, chocolate Small recliner and this striped chair. Will get area rug later. Bench is gone. Will get new coffee table. Will ask about that later! Picture won’t syay. have this picture which I want to use. Maybe over sofa if not on fireplace wall. No tv in room.

• 3 years ago

following

• 3 years ago

Where is rug from Beth?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Safavieh grey/gold

aubreesm thanked Beth H. :