Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otherchuck

Can I eat walla onions fresh? Also, when to harvest?

3 years ago

Greetings,

I am growing walla walla onions for the first time (in Southern California, USA), and had two questions:

Every discussion of harvesting onions I see online says to leave them out to dry for a week or so after pulling them out of the ground, to allow them to cure. I presume that is largely to dry the outer skin out a bit before storing. But if want to eat some right away, can I just pull them out of the ground and eat them fresh? Or is there something toxic about that practice?

Also, I probably planted them around the end of May, and it is now nearly November. I was waiting until the green stalks die off and fall over because everything I see online says that's when they are ready to harvest. But my stalks are mostly still green and are still upright. Should I harvest anyway or should I continue to wait until the stalks fall over?

Thanks!

Otherchuck

Comments (8)

• 3 years ago

Of course you can eat them any time from tiny green onions to to fully mature. The plants should be mostly dry tho if you wish to cure and store them. A green onion does not store well.

Walla Walla is not a storage onion, four months maybe.

• 3 years ago

You can eat them anytime, best to eat them when you want as they grow, than trying to keep all for storage. If you got them to bulb up, you did nothing wrong, they should be fine to eat.

Is there anything wrong growing a long day onion farther south? Is there just no need or advantage to grow long days, since you can grow the short day onions easily?

• 3 years ago

Long day onions need long periods of daylight to form large bulbs. In principle, they won't get that in the south. They'll grow, but they won't mature properly. Nothing wrong with growing onions that don't mature properly. That's up to you, if that's really what you want.

If you want storage onions, they are mostly long-day. Local nurseries in the south won't stock long-day onions, because they know they're the wrong kind. I'm curious where in Southern California the OP came up with Walla Wallas. Also, if you want sweet onions, there is a large selection of short-day varieties.

• 3 years ago

Walla Walla is on the low end of long day onions. Just requires a few more hours of daylight than an intermediate day onion. It is a sweet Spanish type which I have grown in middle Georgia ((Z-8). I grow mostly short day onions in winter with harvest in May-early June which frees up space for warm weather crops. Walla Walla and other sweet Spanish types push the harvest to late July -August. That gets into hot weather and onions really suffer under cloudless skies with temps hovering around 100 degrees.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Farmerdill, why do you grow Walla Wallas in Georgia? Just curious. Do Walla Wallas offer anything that regular short-day onions don't? That would be useful info for the OP. Of course, for non-storage onions, pushing the harvest a few months later can be advantageous in having onions available. Right now, my short-days get harvested in April, and store reliably until September. But maybe you're getting your Walla Walla harvest in August to give you a supply until December?

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Curiosity mostly Dan. I have grown lots of varieties of onions and seldom grow a variety more than two years. I just want to see how a particular variety will do. I am one of those people that if told I can't do something I just have to find out for myself. I like sweet Spanish onions, but not any more than a good Granex or Grano. These get harvested in May-June strung up in a shed and will keep into December. When they begin sprouting, I stick them in ground and harvest green onions for the rest of the winter.

Sweet Spanish (Golden Grande)

• 3 years ago

Thank you, Farmerdill. Your experience and insights are always enormously valuable!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional