Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derosep

Looking for a shade darker than BM Ballet white

3 years ago

Hi,

I am painting the interior of my home. I like BM ballet white very much. I am just concerned it may be just a bit too light for my space. Any suggestions for a similar color that is just a little deeper. I am not looking to darken the paint by a percentage, as I did this years ago with a color and was not happy. Any help would be great! Thank you.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    3 years ago

As a complex neutral, Ballet White is very well balanced in a way that makes it extremely flexible and easy to work with. However, as with any complex neutral, it is important to know what other neutrals you are trying to coordinate (is there wall to wall carpet for example?). Without having any idea what your space looks like and what style (or colour) your furnishings are, it is impossible to make an educated recommendation.

Ella D thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • Ella D thanked Maureen
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses. My space is still in progress. My cabinets are a soft cream, very similar to Ballet white. My island is a darker wood. My counter tops are Taj Mahal quartzite. My floors are a brown/taupe wood look porcelain tile laid out in a herringbone pattern. The tile is shaded and a blend. I have no carpet, will be using area rugs, all of my wood floors are stained a custom blend of espresso and another color that I cannot recall! I have a transitional style and my home is a center hall colonial. I have a lot of moulding, including simple decorative such as box moulding on my lower walls in a few areas and up my staircase, which will all be painted white. I am looking for a lighter color that I can use throughout my foyers, including up my staircase into the upstairs foyer, my kitchen, family room, dining room, as these rooms flow into each other or have connecting walls. My living room will probably a complementary color to whatever I choose. My color scheme is primarily neutrals and earth tones. I am using cream, white, taupes. I plan on adding color with pillows, art work, accessories etc.

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you Marylee... I will look at those colors. Elizabeth, thank you for your great input. the flooring is brown with a blend of taupe., they’ve are 6x36 in size and shaded. They do not appear to pull a pink undertone, when I can I will upload pictures! Are you feeling I can paint my walls close to the cabinet color? The trim throughout the kitchen was made from the cabinet company and is the same color as the cabinets . Also, my Taj Mahal boards are super clean , they do not have the gold or darker tones... more of the cream... white.. and taupe or neutral veining. Thank you again! I appreciate the help.

• PRO
    3 years ago

The problem with words like "taupe" is they don't mean anything specific. What taupe is or isn't is completely subjective and varies from person to person.

As far as "undertones", colors/materials don't have (as in possess) a factual attribute of undertone.

Undertones are just someone's subjective opinion about what a color looks like under whatever random light source they happen to be lookin' at it under and in whatever random context they happen to be in - might be their kitchen table for all you know.

If you think that Ballet White is very similar to the cabinet color AND you like how it looks with the counter tops and flooring, a color just like Ballet White BUT is darker and has more chroma (more colorful) is a solid strategy.

The colors Marylee suggested are based on the factual color DNA of Ballet White so they are indeed factually similar to Ballet White only darker and more colorful.

Which means they're strategically/technically correct based on your Ballet White visual match-up to the cabinets and definitely worth getting chips or samples. I would have suggested the same colors.

Ella D thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 3 years ago

Thank you Lori! I was hoping you would chime in. Any BM colors that would work, in addition to the SW colors?