Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a7k9s

Family Portrait Behind Bar?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We got beautiful fine art family portraits gifted to us, and I’m trying to figure out where to hang them. I’d like to put them in the family room. the wall that is best suited (size and position - wise) is behind the wet bar we have in this room. But is that a no-no? It feels a little weird placing it behind the bar.

Comments (10)

• 3 years ago

Antique portraits or contemporary portraits?

• 3 years ago

Contemporary

• PRO
    3 years ago

hard to say based on limited info. You're showing us a close up bar/wall shot, but not the portrait or anything else in the room.

why not hang them, and take another photo showing the entire room?

But it is your home. if you like the portraits behind the bar, then hang them there.

• 3 years ago

I’d prefer not to post family pictures online. was just trying to get I put on whether or not it’s weird to have such photos in such a space.

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

(you can blur out the faces) But no, it's not weird.

I was just trying to get an idea of the framing, size, overall look of the entire room.

If you look at the gallery wall below, you'll understand why I wanted to see what the pics looked like.

If they are more formal type of portraits, (like these)

I'd say I'd probably find a diff space for them.

(but again, I don't know how formal or traditional the rest of your room is)

But, something like these types of portraits/paintings could look nice:

or maybe more of a gallery photo wall

or maybe you want to do something like this:

tried to photo shop it from this photo. but see how everything works together?

if you do family photos, you do need them to match w/the frames/colors

Or scrap the photos and go with more of gallery all w/colors

a7k9s thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I don’t like family pictures in mostly public spaces and honestly if you don’t want to post them here you should maybe think about hanging them in a hallway that leads to the more private spaces in your home that is IMO where family pics are awesome. I also think behind the bar proably not the best idea .I think some other art there would be better.

• 3 years ago

How big is it? What are the other choices? Put it there today, live with it and decide if you like it. I often switch around the art in my home.

• 3 years ago

Lol, there is a huge difference between posting family pics on the internet and hanging them on the wall in your home. And yes, we all know how much you hate family pictures.

• 3 years ago

Lol at 3onthewall. I have to agree, I use my bar to drink and entertain and wouldn’t want my family portraits there. What about a TV there instead?