Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowablooms

Zone 5 size Wollerton OH, Fiji Eleganza, Earth Angel, Therese Bugnet?

Hello,

I keep seeing pictures cupped roses and finally bought some from Heirloom Roses sale.

I would appreciate input on their potential size. I live in SE Iowa, zone 5b ish. Most of my roses get considerable cane die back. I have to keep my roses fenced from deer, so my space is fairly low. Also, they will not get morning or evening sun, but get midday sun.

Last year I planted a Florentina Rose and have it growing up an obelisk. I am wondering how close I can plant Earth Angel to Florentina. SImilarly, I have Teasing GA (kind of flopping about -- I really need to get some kind of support for TG ) and am hoping to place Wollerton Old Hall nearby but not sure on spacing.

Fiji I plan to nestle in some spots but an expected size or any input appreciated. Also I tend to have peachy/orange colored roses (tamora, at last) so I am wondering if Fiji is going to clash. I find I am really horrilbe at color combining.

Therese Bugnet (I have Blanc Double de Coubert that is about 5 x 5 ft and is left untouched by deer so I am going to try another rugosa in my main garden. I do give this rose some soil sulfur every spring and it seems to do fine even though I have basic soil.) Would like to nestle Therese Bugnet in with some peonies since Blanc Double blooms with the peonies very nicely. I have a spot about 4x4 where I am hoping to put her but wondering if this rose will get quite a bit larger.

What do ya'll think?

Comments (12)

• last year

I think that will be a perfect spot. Therese is elegantly vase shaped and not a monster.

• last year

The only one of those that I grow is Fiji. I love this rose

It is healthy and the leaves are glossy.

For me it is about 4 .maybe 4 1/2 ft.. It is taller than wide.

I have it planted between Rosematic fuschia and Moonlight in Paris. I like wild combinations lol

• last year

I have Wollerton Old Hall and Earth Angel. Both had minimal dieback in my zone 6 garden (southeast Michigan). I’ve had Earth Angel for a few years and it gets to be about 5 feet tall and maybe 3 feet wide.

Wollerton Old Hall was new last year and is wrapped around an obelisk. Longest cane is maybe 5 ft tall. It’s not very wide since it’s around an obelisk.

I’ll post pictures in my next post.

• last year

Earth Angel now

Old Wollerton Hall now

• last year

My Therese Bugnet is massive, about 7 feet tall, unpruned and has many suckering baby plants. It does get sun all day. Lovely big fragrant spring flush then sparse flowering afterwards even though I deadhead as far as I can reach. Lovely red canes for winter interest. Gets a touch of mildew in hot and humid weather.

• last year

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate hearing about and seeing your roses.

Sheila -- I am so looking forward to seeing therese bloom and flourish. I am leaning toward that spot but if she suckers a lot I may place her next to BlancDDC because I have more space there. I wish I had Blanc in the spot right next to these particular peonies but the rose is so content, I do not want to mess with it/move it.

Kristine your Fiji looks SO healthy! What a great picture. I think Id expect one here to stay smaller. Good info!

Cab84--Thank you for the photos. Your roses look so fabulous! Do you grow your roses in front of the obelisk , or do you place the obelisk over the rose plant? I had to move my obelisk due to some fence issues and now I am not sure how to get it back to holding up Florentina.

OldWorldRoses--I am a bit concerned about a lot of suckering on Therese. I have read that elsewhere. On Blanc DDC I see one little sucker after 5 years or so.

I just moved some things around to try to make a bit more space for roses. Who needs daylilies when you can squeeze in more roses instead??!!

• last year

Youre welcome! and thank you :)

I have WOH planted in front of the obelisk and wrap the canes around it.

• last year

I agree with OldWorldroses - Therese Bugnet is massive. One of my neighbors looked over at my yard and asked, "what's that tree?". My answer was "A rose, Therese Bugnet". She says, "no, that TREE". Yep, Therese, It's easily 8' tall and self supporting sort of, though it wants to droop and cascade over an 8' wide circle. I prop mine up behind a shepherd's cane and it mostly behaves itself. In my alkaline soil it's essentially a once bloomer, but nice enough. If it were in prime location I'd move it.

Earth Angel gets about 5' self standing and bushes out some, but is mostly tall and narrow. It would fit into most spots if you allow for the height. Fiji is not cane hardy for me (yet), so it's presently knee height and will recover to about 3-4 by the end of the season. Wollerton Old Hall isn't in a prime location but it's only partially cane hardy for me, and it tops out at 3-4' so far as well.

Those heights are subject to change now that I've realized I need to feed my roses. Bottom line though it don't plant Therese too close to anything precious. She would eat Fiji for lunch.

Cynthia

• last year
    last modified: last year

I have Earth Angel. In my Iowa zone 5, protected spot she dies back to about knee high. In the Summer she grows to maybe 3x3, not counting the tall octopus canes she puts out😬

• last year

Thank you nippstress for the info on Therese. I have found a new spot for her, with lots of room to spread should she so desire. Now I am hoping she will grow up and provide a nice backdrop for some other garden plants. Much appreciated to hear the sizes your roses gain in similar zone.

Thanks Ashley! This sounds about like my Tamora and St Ceciila. Looking forward to adding in Earth Angel to the group!

• last year

Good to know, Annie! I ordered 2 of them so I better start building some sturdy pergolas!