Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
web_only67

Does your south-facing transom windows over a bed disturb your sleep?

5 months ago

I'm having a debate whether or not I want a transom window over a king bed in our master bedroom which will have another big window and a patio door to a balcony on the west.
If I decide to have one, it will be more aesthetically pleasing, but I'm worried about having the sunlight disturb our sleep in the morning.
I'd rather not have one if I have to cover it to block the light.
If you have a transom window over your bed that faces south, please tell me how the light from the window affects your sleep. Thank you.

Comments (16)

• 5 months ago

Hi, this isn’t exactly the same situation, but… I have a transom window over my bed ( not covered) on our east facing wall, and the light doesn’t disturb my sleep. That being said, DH and I aren’t blackout curtain sleep mask people. I know people who can’t stand any light coming into room while they’re sleeping In that situation it would probably be best to avoid any uncovered window in bedroom. If I ever manage to sleep in late enough that the sun’s already risen I just consider myself lucky and enjoy the rays, lol.

• 5 months ago

I made our windows over our south facing windows over the bed stained glass

• 5 months ago

ah, another thought… this sounds like a new build? I prefer rooms to have windows on two walls to maximize natural light. If you would be bothered by the morning light, another option might be to have full size window(s) on that wall with ability to cover them, space permitting

• 5 months ago

Our bed is in front of the southfacing windows. We have only miniblinds on them. It doesn’t bother me, and DH half the time gets up around 4 anyway (by choice, no less!). But then, I can sleep with the blinds open even in the morning.

• 5 months ago

I am in the ”cannot sleep in light or noise” camp. My hubby can sleep anywhere. He has come to understand that sleeping my way equals non-grumpy me the next morning. Only you know what is right for you.

• 5 months ago

Oh I should have mentioned that I'm sensitive to light during sleep and my husband is even more sensitive being a super light sleeper.

So no transoms for us over bed it sounds. I thought the light might not hit our faces if a transom is high enough but in the winter we should get quite a bit of light coming in through it.

• 5 months ago

The wun might not shine on your faces but the room will lighten.

• PRO
    5 months ago

I am in the camp of why do bedrooms need so much natural light Who is in the bedroom in most cases during the day. I love the light in the morning when I get up but for the 10 mins I am in the space not a huge deal . I do however like windows on 2 sides for air flow since I do not like AC in my bedroom.

• 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Light is bad during sleep. Even for those who don't think it bothers them. If you really understand what happens to your body when you sleep, please educate the rest of the world - because we don't.

I discuss sleep with patients all the time. It is truly amazing how people don't realize what they are doing to their bodies by how they sleep. It is one of the big holes in education. The majority of people are sleep deprived by quantity, quality or both. This contributes to many things including the big two of our time - obesity and dementia. You can never be too rich, too thin or a brain too sharp. (Yes - you can be too thin ....)

When I walk into a house with transom windows facing any direction in a bedroom, I am disgusted beyond belief. I would call the whole thing a resale issue as hopefully people will gradually begin to understand how important sleep is.

A bedroom should be designed so that a light sensitive (and noise sensitive) person can sleep at high noon. Sleep is one of the most important design elements of a house since our health and happiness should be the most important. Lots of natural light into non-sleeping areas is the second.

Off soap box.

I have windows on 2 sides of my primary bedroom. I have blackout curtains with a box built into crown at the top - hotel style. My primary guest does not have a box but the curtains go way higher than the window and it works - most of our guests sleep late and always comment how well they sleep in that room.

• 5 months ago

@David, Since I don’t live in Alaska, it’s dark during my sleeping hours. If i am lucky enough to sleep until 8 or 9 or 10 without a pet waking me up , the morning sun isn’t hurting me, bothering me or disturbing my sleep.
    If you are disgusted beyond belief to see a transom window in a bedroom, by all means don’t have one . As I suggested to OP, one who is light sensitive and has the luxury of sleeping in long past sunrise ( or one who lives in an area with excessive outside light / noise) is probably better suited to have blackout curtains on whatever windows they have in their bedroom.

• 5 months ago

I used to have a high triangle window that was difficult to cover ( or I didn’t work at it enough), plus mini blinds on big windiest gave privacy but were not blackout. There was dim to fairly light a lot of times ( trying to take a nap on a weekend off from working ), plus— streetlights and neighbors’ terribly bright security lights( things which might be installed after you thought things were ok).

After moving to a different house and using blackout drapes, I was amazed at how much better I slept.

So, I love windows but would always have a plan for window + light control in a bedroom.

• 5 months ago

We have light pollution as well, but yes light from my Southern facing bedroom wakes me up, and I get up around 6 ish. So I need all bedroom windows to be completely coverable.

• 5 months ago

"another big window and a patio door to a balcony on the west"

West-facing windows can result in significant overheating of a room because they're exposed to sunlight from noon to sundown. Select windows with the appropriate SHGC (solar heat gain coefficient) for your zone and consider awnings or other outdoor materials that will prevent the sun from blasting into the room year-round.

• 5 months ago

If you are asking this question, I would say don't do the window. Some people sleep hard as a rock, light doesn't bother them at all. I'm guessing you are not one of those people. I wouldn't do it. As you pointed out, it is not an easily reversable decision.

• 5 months ago

Moon light, street lights - it isn't just the sun.

Very few people I imagine sleep 9p-5a on June 21st. Dawn is 4:54 AM in NYC. But, certainly closer to the equator in an area without street lights is less of a problem.

I was floored that in Iceland they don't cover windows that well in hotels. It got really dark around 2 am and started getting light at 4am in the summer. You have maybe 2 hours of full darkness. Nome, Alaska is about the same - 2 hours of total darkness in July. So, yeah, AK is worse and FL is better from that perspective.

• 5 months ago

You could always train yourself to use an eye mask.