Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denniti

Teeny Tiny Bathroom Design Help Needed

10 years ago
We live in a 1940s house that has no en suite bathroom. We are hoping to add one to a small area just off the bedroom. It's roughly 31 inches x 74 inches. The entrance door would need to be somewhere on the 74 inch wall up to the 49 inch mark.

We would like to fit in a tiled shower with a glass screen/shield that has room to walk in but doesn't fully close or a glass door that slides or even better no door - keeping it open so it looks bigger.

A wall toilet to save space & a wall sink to save space as well. We are hoping to either have a sliding pocket door from the master or a barn style door mounted to the master bedroom wall - in order that we do not have a door swinging into the bathroom/bedroom.

Any suggestions? pictures of places you've seen? I liked the attached because they have an open feel

thanks

Comments (23)

• 10 years ago
    This is a very small space, indeed. Mark the proposed fixtures with tape on the floor and see if you like the result. Also, consult your city hall for what is permitted by local building code before you start paying for plans and getting bids.
  • 10 years ago
    A recent ideabook dealt with putting the tub inside the shower, but I don't see why you couldn't put the basin inside the shower as well. Or you could make the whole thing a wet room. Some inspiration for you here:
    Bathroom · More Info

Small Space Living in Outport Community, Port Rexton · More Info

Tiny Bath Remodel · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    ohh 31" is very tight. My master is only 36" wide and it is almost uncomfortable and I'm not too picky either. Any chance of borrowing a little more space? I'm mid-reno on my tiny bath but if you'd like to get a visual, I'd be more than happy to post a pic.
  • 10 years ago
    that's more or less what I was thinking - thanks for the drawing - it's perfect - I'm hoping it will work & I couldn't agree more - it is a challenge but I think with the right tiles etc. it should feel open and be functional - better than no en suite & better than just a 2 piece
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    There are some wonderful tiny sinks out there... they are some of my favorites. I've looked at them as something to put in a toilet enclosure (inside another larger bath).
  • 10 years ago
    do you know who makes the sinks - I'm from Canada
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ikea makes LILLÅNGEN line, which has sinks, faucets and cabinets. Whitehaus makes an "Isabella" sink. In Canada, Duravit makes excellent small sinks.
    Here is a view from the shower end, with LILLÅNGEN mirror, Whitehaus Isabella sink and a Duravit wall-mounted toilet. American marble lines all walls/floors
  • 10 years ago
    that would be a perfect size - will check them out. thanks!
  • 10 years ago
    I would love to see a picture Amy Cali if you could post. We can't borrow from another room unfortunately but sstar93's picture above seems to be about the same depth and it doesn't look too cramped - fixture size is important for sure.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It's just a 3D drawing to the same measurements as the 2D, with actual fixture components put in.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I was also looking for a bifold shower door option, which in my opinion would be nicer than a shower curtain. Ideally it would not be glass, but something more compact, like accordion-pleated vinyl.
  • 10 years ago
    pardon the mess but here is the area that is 36" wide
  • 10 years ago
    ill try to post a straight on shot soon
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    In this one I would look for corner to fit everything that you need ,but if you are planning on a shower make sure that you will install a good quality exhaust fan to let the steam out or mildew will built up in the corners .
    here is one idea ,they come in several prices

Retro 1032 Corner Sink 16.1" x 17.9" · More Info

Marble Works Cultured Marble Shower · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    love your tile choice Amy - was hoping to do something like that as well. Thanks Genevieve - what a cute corner sink! Do you know where I can find them? yes extremely important to have a good exhaust
  • 10 years ago
    Agree about IKEA. They have some narrow sinks that work great in a small space!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A couple of more images for you. The dimensions of the room are 36" wide x 108" long including the shower. There is also a 36"x36" area off to the right for the toilet. So your new master bath will be about from the shower to the right edge of the sink. I think very visually so thought this could help you too. I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Oh and one tiny bit of advice...niches! They will help so much and won't cut into your floor space.
  • 10 years ago
    looks great! that's the look I'm hoping to get - will be more of a tunnel ...
  • 10 years ago
    denniti, you would never believe the great deal I got on the 12 x 24" tile. $1.99 per square at Costco!
  • 10 years ago
    Online? I saw a really nice 1 there yesterday for $29.99 for 8 tiles but that's more - love to get the link or a name. thanks so much for sharing!
  • 10 years ago
    No I bought it here at one of the NJ Costco locations. It is the Neo Tile Urban Groove in Grey. It was still in stock as of last week (locally).
  • 10 years ago
    Amy, I Like your new bathroom. What is one your ceiling and shower floor?