Kitchen Remodel Cost
Cost to Remodel a Kitchen
The midrange cost of a kitchen remodel is around $25,000. While the average kitchen remodel cost ranges from about $13,700 to $42,000, a high-end project can cost upward of $50,000. These figures were collected from the 2018 Houzz Kitchen Trends Study. The total price of your kitchen project will depend on its scope, the materials and fixtures you choose and the labor costs in your area.Table of Contents:
- How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen?
- What are some of the major expenses associated with remodeling a kitchen?
- What kitchen renovations can be made on a budget of about $3,000 to $12,000?
- What kitchen renovations can be made on a budget of about $12,000 to $25,000?
- What kitchen renovations can be made on a budget of about $25,000 to $60,000?
Remodeling a kitchen is one of the most common and rewarding types of home improvement projects. If your kitchen is a hardworking room where people tend to spend a lot of time, you’re sure to benefit from some upgrades. Besides making cooking and entertaining a whole lot easier (and more fun), an updated kitchen can also make a big difference in your home’s resale value. If you’re planning to sell your home in the near future, it might be worth it to renovate now and enjoy a new kitchen.
If you’re considering starting a kitchen remodel, contact a kitchen remodeling professional today. A remodeling company can help you plan your project and start making progress. If you’re planning extensive changes, you may also want to hire a kitchen design professional to help. Keep in mind that the cost of remodeling a kitchen can vary widely, so it’s wise to set a budget beforehand to get an idea for the scope of your project. While some DIY work can be done, hiring a professional to do the work will help ensure quality results. Read on to learn about kitchen remodeling costs and what you can do on a range of budgets.
What are some of the major expenses associated with remodeling a kitchen?
The most costly parts of a kitchen remodel are usually installing new cabinets, new countertops and new flooring. If you hire a professional to do the work, labor costs will also be a significant part of your total project cost. While the average cost of a kitchen remodel can vary, these numbers should help give you a rough estimate for your project.Cabinets
It typically costs around $1,000 to $5,000 to install new kitchen cabinets. The price can vary depending on the number of cabinets you need, the materials you choose and whether or not you have custom cabinets made.
Countertop installation usually costs around $3,000 to $4,000. The price for your project will depend on the materials you choose and how much counter space you have. Quartz is a particularly popular option right now, though it costs about the same as marble and granite. Tile and laminate countertops are more affordable.
- Tile: $30 to $40 per square foot
- Laminate: $40 to $80 per square foot
- Wood/Butcher Block: $50 to $100 per square foot
- Metal: $60 to $100 per square foot
- Natural Stone/Soapstone: $50 to $150 per square foot
- Quartz: $50 to $150 per square foot
- Granite: $45 to $200 per square foot
- Marble: $45 to $200 per square foot
The cost to install new flooring in a kitchen often ranges from about $1,500 to $4,500. The price will depend largely on the materials you choose, from affordable laminate to more expensive hardwood. Square footage will also impact the total cost.
- Vinyl/Linoleum: $1 to $5 per square foot
- Laminate: $4 to $6 per square foot
- Tile: $5 to $10 per square foot
- Wood: $3 to $15 per square foot
The cost of installing new kitchen appliances varies widely, depending on the type and quality of the products. In general, appliance installation costs around $500 to $3,000. Energy Star appliances usually cost more but are a more environmentally friendly choice. They’ll also provide savings in the form of lower energy bills. For a cohesive look, go for built-in appliances, which blend right in with the rest of your cabinetry.
Installing a sink can cost anywhere from $200 to $1,500, while replacing a faucet can cost around $200 to $500.
Installing a new kitchen island often costs around $3,000 to $4,000. Simple butcher block or stainless steel islands meant to be prep stations can cost around $500 to $1,000.
Related: How to Design a Kitchen Island
What kitchen renovations can be made on a budget of about $3,000 to $12,000?
Of course, the cost of your project will also depend on the size of your kitchen. A 2018 Houzz kitchen study labeled kitchens under 200 square feet as small and kitchens 200 square feet or more as large. According to the study, the average cost of a small kitchen remodel is $13,700 for a minor project or $25,800 for a major project. In addition, the average cost of large kitchen remodel is $22,000 for a minor project or $42,000 for a major project. The larger your kitchen is, the more materials, time and money you’ll need to complete similar renovations.
If you’re on a tight budget, you can still make some key renovations to your kitchen, especially if you do some of the work yourself. You might need to choose what seems most important to update right now, and plan to update the rest of your kitchen later.
- Appliances: Switching out new appliances is something almost any remodeling budget can handle. You can find new ovens and refrigerators at a variety of price points, so you’ll just need to choose what works for you.
- Backsplash: Installing a new backsplash usually costs around $200 to $500. Besides protecting your walls from cooking splatter, a tile backsplash can instantly update the look of your kitchen. Backsplash installation can also be a DIY project.
- Countertops: Replacing your old countertops can be part of a tight-budget remodel if you stick with lower-cost materials. Laminate, vinyl and tile are all affordable options. It’s possible to get laminate and vinyl countertops that tastefully imitate the look of marble, granite or quartz.
- Kitchen Sink/Faucet: One of the most affordable updates, installing a new kitchen sink or faucet is a great option. It’s also an easy way to change the style of your kitchen; consider a sleek stainless steel sink or a farmhouse-style drop-in sink.
- Lighting: Installing new lighting is a low-cost renovation that can make your kitchen feel much more inviting. If you choose energy-efficient lighting, it could also help to reduce your energy bills.
- Paint: Painting your kitchen walls or ceiling is an easy way to update the look. Kitchens also have less square footage to paint than most other rooms do, with cabinets and appliances taking up much of the wall space. It typically costs anywhere from $200 to $800 to paint a room, depending on whether you hire a professional painter or do it yourself.
- Cabinet Refinishing/Refacing: Refacing or refinishing your cabinets can make a big difference in your kitchen. If you’re tired of a dated finish or look, cabinet refinishing or refacing will cost around $800 to $3,000.
What kitchen renovations can be made on a budget of about $12,000 to $25,000?
A midrange budget will allow you to hand off more work to a general contractor and make more extensive changes. While you should be able to install new cabinets and new countertops, paying close attention to the costs of different materials will help you stay within budget.
- Countertops: Installing new countertops can make a huge difference in the kitchen. With this budget, you’ll likely be able to choose among marble, granite and quartz or wood counters. The cost to install granite or quartz countertops is typically around $2,000 to $5,000, or $50 to $200 per square foot.
- Cabinets: With a higher budget, you should be able to replace your old cabinets with all-new ones, or simply refinish or reface existing ones. You might also look into having custom cabinets made to perfectly suit your kitchen and tastes. Cabinet installation costs around $1,000 to $5,000, and custom cabinets could cost up to twice as much.
- Flooring: Replacing your old flooring is another great way to update your kitchen. Depending on the materials you choose and the size of your kitchen, this can be a project for a midrange budget. While hardwood flooring installation costs around $2,000 to $6,000, or $5 to $15 per square foot, the cost of laminate flooring installation or tile flooring installation is about half that.
- Appliances: Just as you would on a tighter budget, you should be able to order new kitchen appliances. But you might be able to choose from among more high-end options, like a gas range or a French door fridge.
- Kitchen Island: Building a new kitchen island might also be in your budget. The cost to install a kitchen island is usually around $3,000 to $5,000. However, functional butcher block or stainless steel workspaces can be much less, around $500 to $1,000.
What kitchen renovations can be made on a budget of about $25,000 to $60,000?
With a large budget, you’ll be able to completely remodel your kitchen with all-new finishes, materials and appliances. You might even want to knock down a wall to create an open floor plan for your kitchen, living room and dining room. Still, the costs of a major remodeling project can add up quickly, so it’s wise to keep an eye on the numbers no matter your budget.
- Countertops: Besides choosing from among high-end marble, granite, quartz, hardwood or stainless steel materials, you also might consider having custom countertops made. Custom countertops usually cost around $1,000 to $5,000 plus installation. If you’re an avid home cook, you might even want to create a dedicated baking station. Keep in mind that you can also pair different materials, going for marble in one area and butcher block for a prep zone.
- Cabinets: Installing new or custom cabinets is a popular choice at this budget. Custom cabinets usually cost around $1,000 to $5,000 plus installation.
- Flooring: With a large budget, it’s advisable to consider installing hardwood floors. Not only do they look beautiful, but hardwood flooring is a premium choice that will help your home’s resale value. Hardwood flooring typically costs around $2,000 to $6,000, or $5 to $15 per square foot, although prices vary depending on the species of wood. If you already have wood floors, you might want to hire a contractor to refinish your hardwood floors so that they continue to last. For a 300-square-foot kitchen, it usually costs anywhere from $700 to $2,000 to refinish hardwood floors.
- Open Floor Plan: Open-floor-plan homes have their benefits and downsides, yet they’ve recently become popular with homeowners. If your kitchen feels cramped and you want to open it up to the living or dining room, removing a wall might be within your budget. It can cost anywhere from about $300 to $3,000 to remove a wall, depending on if it’s load-bearing or not.
- Kitchen Island: If you’ve got a large kitchen, having an island is almost a given these days. You might want to turn it into an extra seating area or use it as a dedicated baking station. The cost to install a large kitchen island is usually around $3,000 to $4,000.
- Appliances: Installing a new range hood, a high-end stove and perhaps even two ovens might all be within your budget. Of course, you should consider what your needs are and how much space you have. If you do lots of entertaining, having a large refrigerator and a double oven can make the experience so much easier. You might even want to install a dedicated wine fridge.