Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Need help updating my California Craftsman Bungalo-- WITH STUCCO EXT!!

9 years ago
So I just got a Craftsman style bungalow, that I wish to paint and bring curb appeal to. Major issue is most of the wood siding was stuccoed by prior owners... It still has a lot of charm and character. How would you all recommend refinishing, painting or adding any other architectural details to the front like fencing, or perhaps an awning?

I was wondering what colors to use on it? I know usually they recommend earthy colors for Craftsman Bungalows, but I also wanted it to really "pop" I like bold bright colors that are kind of funky. What would you all recommend is best to keep it in character, masking the stucco, and making it look more Craftsman?

Comments (14)

• 9 years ago
    Also a couple more things. I plan to do some small fence, cut the huge shrubs, refinish the porch to make it better looking, remove the bars on windows, and Re roof (I was thinking reroofing it dark asphalt tile so it looks like slate roofing)
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks I really like those colors. I also think porch updating and removing those shrubs will help tons.

Any ideas for fences? I was thinking of putting a horizontal "modern" fence? Would these make sense?
  • 9 years ago
    or these?
  • 9 years ago
    Think about metal roof...there are so many styles now that look like slate, terra cotta, etc.it is more expensive, but so worth it.
    intelinside1 thanked Libbmom
  • 9 years ago
    Good lines on this bungalow. When you remove the overgrown hedges, the house will be more visible to the street. That will improve security. Check with the city on what kind of fences are allowed. In many places, height and setbacks are specified for corner lots where visibility from cars is a safety issue. Don't remove the current fence until you know what the replacement can be because you may not be allowed to put up a new version of exactly the same thing.

A darker roof would be a good change. It sounds like they may have used some variety of Tex Cote to spray over the outside paint. Once you have the shrubs removed, you can upload your photo to the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer to try out colors.
    intelinside1 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Yeah I love the bungalow style....I just wish it had the original wood. I think the colors I use will really matter for making it look more traditional

Thanks apple. I was actually wondering about a program to see exterior paint. I'll definitely check that paint visualized out!!!
  • 9 years ago
    What would you guys do with the porch? https://www.houzz.com/magazine/american-architecture-the-elements-of-craftsman-style-stsetivw-vs~2349556 I was thinking of painting over the brick? Also painting the cement patio to some how match the house
  • 9 years ago
    Also do you usually use very flat paint for a craftsman? Would it be nice to paint the trim glossy or do they tend to be all FLAT?
  • 9 years ago
    Trim is customarily painted in semi-gloss paint.

Comment on porch and bricks would be better once we can see them.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Super-Cote once you re-stucco
  • 9 years ago
    Very nice house. Is it in HP, perchance? Looks like it.

Can someone who knows please comment on the practicality of having a dark roof in an exceptionally sunny location? Won't a lighter-colored roof prove more energy-efficient?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The lighter the color the more energy efficient it is. Darker colored roofs conduct more heat,causing it to be more inefficient than a lighter color.
  • 9 years ago
    I hate to be negative, but those all those horizontal-slat fences in NELA have such an "I've been flipped!" look. Drive around 90042, 90065, and parts of 90039 and notice which houses have these fences. I swear, nearly every one is a recent flip.